DARPA Surefire Collection

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Did a quick google search and found this old thread regarding them. It looks like you have 5 of the 6 DARPA lights that Rat mentioned in his post. He also mentions there were only 50 DEF-3D's made.

These are apparently that rare that to have just one of these used would be a grail light for the Surefire collector. To have 5 of the 6 NIB is unheard of. I couldn't put a price on these. But to the right buyer this collection would be worth a lot.

3_gun

Enlightened
You might be in that rare spot where they'll have to pay whatever you ask. Maybe eBay with a 10 day auction starting at 500'ish with a BIN of 2K for the least rare of the bunch. Seeing that more common vintage lights get 300+ it could be a good starting point

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I second keeping them. If you were to sell them since you have 5 of the 6 known DARPA lights (hurts me to say) but I'd sell them as a set at a greater price than you would if they were sold individually. Extremely nice collection by the way. You have my compliments and envy.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the are no longer new in the box upon opening, I'll offer $10 each…PayPal ready

They're serious history you have there. I remember a member who was selling one at a time until all were sold off. They were getting top dollar and it took less than a few weeks. Not saying you should sell. How did you get them?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good article. Let's just say I work for a contractor that was part of that program.
I bet they didn't see them as a viable lighting solution so they tossed them in a dumpster. This isn't the first time I've seen a bunch like this

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can it be assumed that these rarities will almost certainly increase in desirability? Antique /vintage items can fluctuate due to collector interest and fashion.

Wondering if there are people out there that would like to use one of these, in addition to having it as part of a collection. Giving someone else the thrill of acquisition is something to be considered.

graybeard50

Newly Enlightened
Since the are no longer new in the box upon opening, I'll offer $10 each…PayPal ready

They're serious history you have there. I remember a member who was selling one at a time until all were sold off. They were getting top dollar and it took less than a few weeks. Not saying you should sell. How did you get them?
When the contract ended for these, there were a few hundred leftover sitting in a warehouse. When the warehouse lease ended, no one wanted to claim these so I grabbed some and handed out the rest to colleagues, friends, vendors and veterans. If I knew they would amount to the value and rarity I would have certainly snagged a few more. 😁

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the contract ended for these, there were a few hundred leftover sitting in a warehouse. When the warehouse lease ended, no one wanted to claim these so I grabbed some and handed out the rest to colleagues, friends, vendors and veterans. If I knew they would amount to the value and rarity I would have certainly snagged a few more. 😁
Same thing happened to me. I fixed the computers for a printing company. They called to tell me that they were going out of business and needed help breaking down the system. I got there, took apart the computers and watched them load notebooks in a dumpster. They said help yourself. I'm willing to trade tubs full of blank notebooks for some of your stuff. I guess it's all about being in the right place…

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
What was the point of these DARPA flashlights? Government grift? Had to have cost a ton of money to initiate the project and then pay for it only to end up filling up a warehouse of them to dispose.