koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Data...

r9q24o.jpg

25u4s55.jpg

:twothumbs

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne must be referring to when I sent a few LEDs to the great Cree resting ground in the sky. :sick2: No wait . . . I remember, he is talking about the batteries. The batteries come with a paper wrapper and that will not fit in the tube. So I took the wrappers off. I looked at the inside of the Mag 4C tubes and they looked anodized good so I just slipped in 4 of the bare A123 cells to test the fit ( and yes I took the burr off the switch ground set screw spot). In about 3 seconds the outside of the tube was hot and I freaked and swung the thing through the air like a the handle of a light saber, the batteries came flying out and hit the carpet. They were too hot to touch so I quickly rolled them onto the concrete. Ok, so the inside of the tubes were not so anodized as I thought. :eek: Believe it or not those batteries are still good. The voltage is only down on them like 0.1V! one of the cells popped its little blue blow plug. After it cooled off I just pushed it back in!:thinking::crazy: So get this, the current was so high it melted the gigantic spring on the battery cap! Yup, smoked it. :D :naughty:

When Wayne and I first started talking about this project he told me that Newbie had run the Cree at 2A with no problems just as long as the heat was handled. So I felt confident that the 1800mA was safe enough. In any event I decided that it would be better to screw the emitters down rather than glue them in. That way I can pull them if I have to.

Thanks for all the kind comments from everybody! I just wanted to have fun with this and it looks like we succeeded. I will get some better beam shots soon. There is a place close by that I can shoot it for over a half mile and I want to see how it does but there really is no good comparison like holding two lights side by side. When you come over Msax, better bring something big. ;)

Cheers

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne must be referring to when I sent a few LEDs to the great Cree resting ground in the sky. :sick2: No wait . . . I remember, he is talking about the batteries. The batteries come with a paper wrapper and that will not fit in the tube. So I took the wrappers off. I looked at the inside of the Mag 4C tubes and they looked anodized good so I just slipped in 4 of the bare A123 cells to test the fit ( and yes I took the burr off the switch ground set screw spot). In about 3 seconds the outside of the tube was hot and I freaked and swung the thing through the air like a the handle of a light saber, the batteries came flying out and hit the carpet. They were too hot to touch so I quickly rolled them onto the concrete. Ok, so the inside of the tubes were not so anodized as I thought. :eek: Believe it or not those batteries are still good. The voltage is only down on them like 0.1V! one of the cells popped its little blue blow plug. After it cooled off I just pushed it back in!:thinking::crazy: So get this, the current was so high it melted the gigantic spring on the battery cap! Yup, smoked it. :D :naughty:

When Wayne and I first started talking about this project he told me that Newbie had run the Cree at 2A with no problems just as long as the heat was handled. So I felt confident that the 1800mA was safe enough. In any event I decided that it would be better to screw the emitters down rather than glue them in. That way I can pull them if I have to.

Thanks for all the kind comments from everybody! I just wanted to have fun with this and it looks like we succeeded. I will get some better beam shots soon. There is a place close by that I can shoot it for over a half mile and I want to see how it does but there really is no good comparison like holding two lights side by side. When you come over Msax, better bring something big. ;)

Cheers

Data, I know for a fact that Msax has an X1540, 7-emitter light... that's 1540 lumens out the front running with McR16ms reflectors... not that it would even begin to compete with the Data Bank, but at least the poor guy will be in the 4 digits lumenswise.

Any guesses as to what powers the X1540? :whistle:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
........ wwwwWWOOOOWWWW :eek:oo:

That is something else Data, really, outstanding.
Thats gotta be well over 9000 lumens, actually well over that.
1.8 amps per led? :eek:oo:
You have to get us more beamshots :D

~John

Conservative estimate on the overall output for the Data Bank on fresh cells is 20,000 lumens. :eek:oo:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data, I know for a fact that Msax has an X1540, 7-emitter light... that's 1540 lumens out the front running with McR16ms reflectors... not that it would even begin to compete with the Data Bank, but at least the poor guy will be in the 4 digits lumenswise.

Any guesses as to what powers the X1540? :whistle:

I know you showed me a nice single cell A123 light. Was that MSax's light?

Bushman5

Enlightened
:huh: wow! stadium lighting, handheld! :twothumbs

meybe someone can do the same thing with 100 aluminumSMO mag reflectors and 100 watt osram bulbs :naughty::naughty:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Data, way cool. I was amazed at how well collimated that sky shot appears. I would have expected it to be more of a flood-bank, so that was a big surprise. Did anyone have a BarnBurner, MaxaBeam or other reflector collimated /short-arc light to compare the density of the lumens shining up next to it? I'm kind of wondering the effect of a better reflector....but that is a real accomplishment.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll let the more talented writers address this one in more depth Lux however I was there and didn't even bring out my Barn Burner to "play"---Lasercrazy had his and, well, it was clear that in comparison, we were in possession of the little "guns" and Data and Mac ran the roost. I guess I might have as well brought a candle! :candle:

Karl

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data, way cool. I was amazed at how well collimated that sky shot appears. I would have expected it to be more of a flood-bank, so that was a big surprise. Did anyone have a BarnBurner, MaxaBeam or other reflector collimated /short-arc light to compare the density of the lumens shining up next to it? I'm kind of wondering the effect of a better reflector....but that is a real accomplishment.

Lux,

An aspherical lens on a Cree will project an image of the die. The size of the image (beam width) depends on the size and quality of the lens. In Mac's light he uses a Mag host so he can focus or defocus the beam width. In the DB70 the image is set to only focus at infinity. The resultant beam width is tight.

As Karl pointed out the barn burner and a few other HIDs were there. They are wonderful lights, Dan knows Msax and I have tried to steal his 75W BB several times. ;) But the DB70 is consuming about 500W and is putting out tightly focused visible light energy. If I had to guess I would say that less than 10% of the light coming out of Cree is scattered in the spill beam of the DB70. That is how it is able to approach the visible light output of the 1000W tank light.

There are other descriptions of the DB-70 and the Tank light here.

Last edited:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome light Data!

70 Aspherics, gotta love it.

I'd love to take beamshots of that.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Data, oh crap....I didn't even realize you had aspherics on top of them...thought that shot in first post was just a reflection of the bare metal cup. That explains it. I would not have imagined someone combining that number of LED's on a plate....let alone adding an aspheric on each one. Even more admiration and props for a very creative idea. What did Mac have....one of the BVH type spotlights?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
A handheld led light to compete with HIDs and high-output incandescents? :sssh:

In fairness, having seen the DB70 in action, it doesn't compete with them as much as dominates them! Think of Mac's Torch as being the LOW beam and you'll know what I mean. :naughty:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got yer portable power supply right here:
http://www.physorg.com/news118683361.html

"... The device, which is still in beta, is relatively inexpensive for a fuel cell product, costing around $400 .... the [$20] disposable ... water-activated cartridge can crank out 400 Watts .... for a total of 14 continuous hours."

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got yer portable power supply right here:
http://www.physorg.com/news118683361.html

"... The device, which is still in beta, is relatively inexpensive for a fuel cell product, costing around $400 .... the [$20] disposable ... water-activated cartridge can crank out 400 Watts .... for a total of 14 continuous hours."
That would be a great power supply for this if it can supply 400w for 14 hrs. IIRC the DataBank70 was getting about 15 to 20 minutes on the eight A123 cells. Fourteen hours for something that bright would be the bomb. That light was so awe inspiring, I still think of it.