DBS (Q4 UPDATE!), MRV, Tiablo A8, DX Cree Projection, WF-600: RUNTIMES and pics!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: DX Cree Projection vs Lumapower MRV vs Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

I had some credit with DX.....so...I went ahead and ordered this one!
It's certainly a great deal - the "poor man's MRV" :grin2:

That being said, you'll have to pry my new "chocolate brown" MRV out of my cold, dead fingers :devil:. Can't wait for my Q5 WCs to arrive to mod it.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Re: DX Cree Projection vs Lumapower MRV vs Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

Is the two mode switching mechanism contained in the switch at the tail cap itself or is it in the driver for the DX model? I would like to switch the driver in the DX model one with a 5 mode AMC7135 driver but was wondering if that would work. It seems like the second mode is achieved by a resistor on the switch right? If so, if I were to bridge the contact in place of the resistor, would the 5 mode function on the 5 mode AMC7135 work by tapping the switch?

And on top of that, do you know what the current to the emitter is running on either 18650s or 2 RCR123As? Thank you.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Is the two mode switching mechanism contained in the switch at the tail cap itself or is it in the driver for the DX model? I would like to switch the driver in the DX model one with a 5 mode AMC7135 driver but was wondering if that would work ... And on top of that, do you know what the current to the emitter is running on either 18650s or 2 RCR123As? Thank you.
StefanFS addressed all these points in his excellent MRV review thread. In addition to the detailed review in the 1st post, his driver mods are explained in posts 120 & 133.

FYI, I finally got around to modding my 1st gen MRV with a Q5 WG from DX. With the stock driver, I get ~20% increase in output on primaries, and ~15% increase in output on 18650. Beam tint is excellent - I would have guessed WD as opposed to WG. Haven't done runtimes yet ... in the middle of a few other lights right now. :)

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

FYI, I finally got around to modding my 1st gen MRV with a Q5 WG from DX. With the stock driver, I get ~20% increase in output on primaries, and ~15% increase in output on 18650. Beam tint is excellent - I would have guessed WD as opposed to WG. Haven't done runtimes yet ... in the middle of a few other lights right now. :)

Yes, the tint of those DX CREE Q5 emitters on stars is very nice and cool white, not a hint of purple or any other colors. It's hard to tell them apart from WC tint at higher drive levels.
Stefan

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Yes, the tint of those DX CREE Q5 emitters on stars is very nice and cool white, not a hint of purple or any other colors. It's hard to tell them apart from WC tint at higher drive levels.
Yeah, I'm quite pleasantly surprised. I've compared it to my other MRV and Tiablo A8, and its just slightly warmer (which I actually like). :thumbsup: Certainly wouldn't have guessed WG - even on low, it's definitely less green than my Rex 2.1 (which I would guestimate to be a WG).

For those who are curious, the DX Projection Cree has a touch of purplish fringe (in keeping with their usual non-premium tint bins), but its only noticeable in direct comparison to these premium lights.

shakeylegs

Enlightened

selfbuilt, the Tiablo certainly looks impressive. Thanks to you and StefanFS for the reviews.
I noticed that Stefan is getting 85 min on high with primaries and you are showing 120 minutes on high with primaries. Am I reading this wrong?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I noticed that Stefan is getting 85 min on high with primaries and you are showing 120 minutes on high with primaries. Am I reading this wrong?
You are reading that correctly. There's always some variability from one light to the next (I'm thinking Vf on the emitter is one likely major source). FYI, I noticed Tiablo's runtime graph on their sales thread shows ~110 mins on high to 50%. So I guess I just lucked out on mine. :)

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice review infact after reading this review & StefanS reviews i ordered one and really surprise & happy with it but only for a short lived joy as the driver decided to retire early - so now i'm waiting for a replacement :mecry:

Cnote

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for anothor great review!

Bushman5

Enlightened

WOW! great review Selfbuilt! you put some hours into this! I have much tolearn about reviews....i'm afraid my review of the DXlight was very brief n comparisn.

So....me thinks the DX light is an excellent housing (and cheap $) for a MOD!! who is gona be the first to do something to this light!!! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: MRV-Q5 vs DX Cree Projection vs stock MRV/Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

Just updated main post with the results of my Q5 mod to the 1st gen MRV (P4).

Very interesting result: in seems that with the stock driver, increasing the luminous flux bin results largely in improved throw on primaries, but increased runtime on 18650.

Although I can't guarantee the same would occur with the new stock Q5 "special edition" MRV, it is interesting that I noticed the same trend with the stock Q2 2nd gen MRV compared to the stock P4 1st gen. As such, I suspect it's a general characteristic of the stock driver (although could be heavily dependent on Vf on the emitter).

P.S.: Thanks for the continued support everyone! :thumbsup:

katsyonak

Enlightened
Re: MRV-Q5 vs DX Cree Projection vs stock MRV/Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

Very interesting results indeed.

BTW, while walking the dog I took some beam shots of the DX Cree Projection modded with a Q5 WC and running on a 18650 battery.
Sorry about the pictures quality though, the dog just wanted to keep on going :)

dscn1910ll8.jpg

dscn1912ak5.jpg

dscn1914ov0.jpg

dscn1915dc7.jpg

dscn1916ty2.jpg

I really like this light :)

johnny13oi

Enlightened

Is the Cree Projection and the WF-600 the same exact light?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

BTW, while walking the dog I took some beam shots of the DX Cree Projection modded with a Q5 WC and running on a 18650 battery.
Thanks for sharing.

Is the Cree Projection and the WF-600 the same exact light?
Yes, they seem to be. Despite the WF-600 being listed as 18650-specific, those here who have received it report its the same "Multi-Power 3.6V - 9V" version as the Cree Projection. And judging from my results, I suspect my Cree Projection is in fact a Q2 and not a P4 as advertised. So that would make them exactly the same light.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting result: in seems that with the stock driver, increasing the luminous flux bin results largely in improved throw on primaries, but increased runtime on 18650.

Although I can't guarantee the same would occur with the new stock Q5 "special edition" MRV, it is interesting that I noticed the same trend with the stock Q2 2nd gen MRV compared to the stock P4 1st gen. As such, I suspect it's a general characteristic of the stock driver (although could be heavily dependent on Vf on the emitter).

You seem to be right in your suspicion. To get the best result from CREE Q5 emitters it seems that a slightly higher voltage to the led is necessary (compared to P4 and Q2). So it's more important to find a good driver for it, one that outputs more than 3.5 Volt, preferably more than that. FluPics seem to work with one LiION and the Q5, as does the various AMC7135 based drivers that are available from the two big Hong Kong vendors.
Stefan

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

FluPics seem to work with one LiION and the Q5, as does the various AMC7135 based drivers that are available from the two big Hong Kong vendors.
I was tempted to try an AMC7135 (I have a few lying around), but don't like the idea of losing ability to run 2xCR123A on such a great light.

I have a Dereelight DBS on order, and similarly went for the 2-stage resistored model so as to keep this same versatiliy. Of course, they also offer a couple of single LiION circuitry modules as well ... might pick up the new 3-stage to see what it is like. Maybe it will convince me to give up primaries completely.;)

Of course, DBS results will be posted here ...

johnny13oi

Enlightened

I was tempted to try an AMC7135 (I have a few lying around), but don't like the idea of losing ability to run 2xCR123A on such a great light.

I have a Dereelight DBS on order, and similarly went for the 2-stage resistored model so as to keep this same versatiliy. Of course, they also offer a couple of single LiION circuitry modules as well ... might pick up the new 3-stage to see what it is like. Maybe it will convince me to give up primaries completely.;)

Of course, DBS results will be posted here ...

I thought those AMC drivers were able to tolerate up to 6V if heatsinked or cooled in some way.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I thought those AMC drivers were able to tolerate up to 6V if heatsinked or cooled in some way.
Could be. I know the Kai description on the original 2xAMC7135 circuits say they are good up "<6V". But I bought mine at DX, where they report 4.5V being the spec maximum. Haven't time the time to test it out (don't think I'd want to start in my MRV, though ... maybe a cheapo DX light ;)).

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could be. I now the Kai description on the original 2xAMC7135 circuitssay they are good up "<6V". But I bought mine at DX, where they report 4.5V being the spec maximum. Haven't time the time to test it out (don't think I'd want to start in my MRV, though ... maybe a cheapo DX light ;)).

I use one of the 3 x AMC7135 five mode drivers in my modded and cutdown EYJ U2 style with two CR123. The driver is from DX, but they are the same that Kai sell. Just different retail vendors. No problems so far, it's been in the light about a month. I'm planning a more controlled test with 6 Volts.
Stefan

Edit. Did some testing.....
On 6 Volt it seems to get really hot quick. So it's not advisable to run the 3x AMC7135 5 mode driver on 6 volts.
It's OK for up to 4.5 -4.8 Volts.

Last edited:

Latest posts