DBS (Q4 UPDATE!), MRV, Tiablo A8, DX Cree Projection, WF-600: RUNTIMES and pics!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: MRV-Q5 vs DX Cree Projection vs stock MRV/Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

I use one of the 3 x AMC7135 five mode drivers in my modded and cutdown EYJ U2 style with two CR123. The driver is from DX, but they are the same that Kai sell. Just different retail vendors. No problems so far, it's been in the light about a month. I'm planning a more controlled test with 6 Volts.
Good to know - I have a couple of the same 3xAMC7135 (bought 2 each from Kai and DX, and they are identical). Haven't had time to try them in anything yet. Looking forward to hearing how your testing turns out.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MRV-Q5 vs DX Cree Projection vs stock MRV/Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

An update on the above statement. I tested the driver with 6.35 Volts, equivalent to 2x CR123, with the driver free floating and the emitter on a copper slab. The driver got VERY hot inside of 30 seconds. I have tested these drivers before with 4.5-4.8 Volts and with that voltage it runs for hours without heating up, doesn't even get warm.
So it's not advisable to run the 3x AMC7135 5 mode driver on 6 volts.
Stefan

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Wow - thanks for speedy test results Stefan. :eek:oo: I thought 6V seemed a little too good to be true. I think I'll keep my 3xAMC7135 drivers for single-cell lights, as I originally planned.

legtu

Enlightened

the amc7135 spec sheet says that it has a voltage range of 2.7-6v but being a linear regulator, it just drops the extra voltage and converts it to heat which also means that it produces more heat the bigger the voltage difference between input and output. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic

Boy, great run-time with Q5 and 18650.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Boy, great run-time with Q5 and 18650.
Good point, it's easy to loose sight of the fact that it's pretty remarkable to get that degree of throw for 6 hours. Everyone always focuses on the max output with these lights, but that is quite impressive.

I have Dereelight DBS on order (shipping is supposed to begin tomorrow). Will post results once I get it. :popcorn:

Also just placed an order for the DX WF-600 to see if it really is identical to the Projection Cree. That will certainly take a few weeks to show up. I figured what the heck - Xmas is coming soon, and some of my family members could use a good thrower or two! :grin2:

Elliot

Newly Enlightened

nanotech17: Which light died on you?:sigh:

Elliot

wai king

Newly Enlightened

I have both and they're about the same brightness except the WF600 cannot use 2 r123. I did that by mistake and the cree bulb burnt out right away. :oops:

wai king

Newly Enlightened

Or the circuit burnt out. I can't tell. I just remember that it was on for a second and that was it. :poof:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just updated the main post - turns out the there is a thin black o-ring in the head, between the glass and the bezel. Thanks to finn for pointing that out - missed it the first time through.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: DBS, MRV, Tiablo A8, DX Cree Projection, WF-600: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

First post updated with Dereelight DBS review. Also added the DX WF-600 (actual 18650-only version).

Enjoy! :grin2:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DBS, MRV, Tiablo A8, DX Cree Projection, WF-600: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

Great info selfbuilt! Good to know the DBS out throws the competiton. Shame you don't have a 3-stage Q4, it's impressive. :) In my CL1H with SMO reflector it's putting out around 11,500LUX at 1 meter, the 2-stage on HI is around 7,200LUX. Can't wait to see the Q5 3-stage. With the DBS I was getting 30,000-35,000 LUX at 1 meter with the 3-stage Q4.

Are you getting a Q5 3-stage? :) Have access to a Tiablo A9 Q5?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Are you getting a Q5 3-stage? :) Have access to a Tiablo A9 Q5?
Alan put a Q4 3-stage into the mail for me already (I was travelling for a few days with no e-mail access). I'm sure it will perform quite well. Since the Q2 is just shy of 20K lux peak (according to my light meter, they all vary), I'm expecting the Q4 will throw in the low to mid 20k range with a good circuit design.

Don't have access to a Tiablo A9, but there's always other lights to come ...

Great reviews, by the way. Keep 'em up Wade. :thumbsup:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alan put a Q4 3-stage into the mail for me already (I was travelling for a few days with no e-mail access). I'm sure it will perform quite well. Since the Q2 is just shy of 20K lux peak (according to my light meter, they all vary), I'm expecting the Q4 will throw in the low to mid 20k range with a good circuit design.

I'll look forward to your results.

Still waiting on my LUX meter from DX.

I have been using my Sekonic 408 to take EV readings, then using their chart to convert to LUX. I did get results that matched LUX reading provided by lightreviews.info. So I would think it's pretty accurate. The highest I've gotten off the DBS with 3-stage so far is in the 35,000 LUX range at 1 meter. There could be slight variations with reflectors, the way the pill is screwed in (focused), and I did have a problem with my 3-stage module which has left it stuck in HIGH mode. Alan will be sending me a replacement, but I wonder if the malfunction has resulted in it putting out more lumens than normal. :) Like it's driving the Q4 harder than it normally does. When the module was working normally I was getting readings around 30,000LUX. Fastcar got readings of 30,000LUX with a freshly charged 18650 as well, and 25,000LUX after 2 hours!

The 2-stage HIGH isn't as bright as the 5-stage HIGH. lightreviews has the CL1H SMO wit 2-stage around 7200LUX, the 5-stage around 7990 lux, and I got similar readings with my Sekonic. With the 3-stage Q4 I was getting readings in the 11,500LUX range! That's about a 40% increase. So if you get about 20,000LUX with the 2-stage, and get a 40% increase with the 3-stage Q4, that puts you around 28,000LUX. The DBS may show a larger % increase due to the larger and potentially more efficient reflector.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Selfbuilt,
Wow! What an incredible amount of work to do this review...Thanks! Its nice to see #'s or pictures when comparing lights, not just opinion. Thanks again for providing that.
My Tiablo A8 Q5 should be here Wed, thanks to Lightbrite. I was wondering if buying it was the right thing to do after all the hype of the DBS these last few days. After seeing your graphs on the 18650 batt, I am really happy with my decision. Thanks again.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Selfbuilt,
I was wondering if buying it was the right thing to do after all the hype of the DBS these last few days. After seeing your graphs on the 18650 batt, I am really happy with my decision. Thanks again.

Not to burst your bubble, but you may change your mind when he posts results of the DBS 3-stage module. :naughty:

In any event, I'm sure the Tiablo will serve you well, and if you feel the DBS would have been the better choice, never hurts to have a 2nd thrower. :)

I also noticed the DBS wasn't machine as nice as the CL1H, but it's a very minor issue for me as you really have to look for it, and it still looks great and feels great, and most importanty throws great.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the DBS looks like an incredible light, I am just happy that on the 18650 the Tiablo holds it own with all the lights, and is brighter within 1/2 an hour or so. (when the others are also using 18650's) I am just kind of tired of buying 123a's all the time. I realized that the DBS was not the 3 stage, but the Tiablo was also not the Q5.

It would not suprise me if the DBS still throws farther than the Tiablo by a good margin, just for me, I wanted a light that did not go down in brighness when a 18650 was put in. Its the one thing I really don't like about my LP M1-R.

Not to burst your bubble, but you may change your mind when he posts results of the DBS 3-stage module. :naughty:

In any event, I'm sure the Tiablo will serve you well, and if you feel the DBS would have been the better choice, never hurts to have a 2nd thrower. :)

I also noticed the DBS wasn't machine as nice as the CL1H, but it's a very minor issue for me as you really have to look for it, and it still looks great and feels great, and most importanty throws great.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would not suprise me if the DBS still throws farther than the Tiablo by a good margin, just for me, I wanted a light that did not go down in brighness when a 18650 was put in. Its the one thing I really don't like about my LP M1-R.

That's what I was getting at. The 3-stage module has very flat regulation with 18650's. It beats out the Tiablo as far as regulation. Fastcar was still getting a reading of 25,000LUX after 2 hours of run time on a 1865, which would indicate the DBS is brighter after 2 hours than the Tiablo A8/A9 Q5 is on startup.

dbs_RT_3M.gif

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just updated main post with a up-close beamshot pic to show overall spillbeam width.

As you'll see, the flipside of the deeper reflector (with increased throw) is the narrower spillbeam. I'm planing to do some outdoor shots, so stay tuned!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the A8-Q5, woodrow. It really is a remarkable light for its regulation (and can still run primaries - a major bonus in my mind). I'm very impressed with mine. We'll see how the new 3-stage DBS module works out in comparison!

Although the DBS is possibly the best *designed* throw light (with its modular format, use of reflector for extended heatsinking, etc.), the Tiablo is probably the best *built* light of the group (with its higher grade aluminum, perfect anodizing, elegant size and feel). Personally, I still consider the MRV the best looking (with its gorgeous chocolate-brown anodizing, nickle-plated heatsink, etc.). Of course, that last point is subjective. :grin2: