DealExtreme U2 "fake" review (Lux version)

mchlwise

Enlightened
Re: DealExtreme U2 clone review (Lux version)

tenfour said:
Hmm. I had no idea I was going to turn into a badguy from this :/

Personally, I think you're doing a great service by posting this review, and I applaud you for doing such.

(I'll justify my position, lest the mob mentality accuse me of "supporting" this light's sale and call for my permanent ban :sigh: )

I feel this way for a few reasons:

1) you have clearly shown through pictures and text the differences between the knock-off and the authentic Surefire.

In the future, this will allow people who don't know any better to compare the light they got and know if it's authentic or a knock-off.

2) you have shown the lights performance, allowing people to make an informed decision.

Without your review, people would not have as much information. People may now buy the light because of that information, or they may decide to pass on the light when they would have otherwise bought it out of curiosity.

3) information is never a bad thing, and I believe in freedom to make informed decisions.

There are plenty of people around here who would advocate completely ignoring this light in the hopes it will go away. Others want people to know about it so they will go out and lynch those who made it.

I believe that people should be allowed to make their own informed choices, and that the more information they have, the better they will be able to choose.

By providing information, you have helped, not hurt.

:rock:

aurich_

Newly Enlightened

good job greenled, too quick for me..
just thought i had to do sth about it...

@mchlwise: i agree that tenfour did an excellent job (in showing how bad the clone is), but comments from some people promoting the sale of the light is another thing altogether

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

As a review it is just peachy. It tells us a lot about how the light works.

I can not BELIEVE that it is marked exactly like a Surefire. The possibilites, ALL BAD! make my head hurt!

I can't afford the real thing. But I'd NEVER buy a CARBON COPY CLONE of it!

Mike M

Newly Enlightened

I've been out of town for the last couple days so I haven't been able to post. I recieved my U2 clone Friday. Packaging, etc was the same, even the serial number (A02621). I spent less than 30 bucks for this light because I was looking for a less than 30 buck light. I own 4 other SF's and have my share of modded Mags. I buy my stuff from "the little guy" and don't usually buy what I consider to be high dollar stuff from places like eBay, the money stays in town if it is available.

Anyways, I have several LED lights (No real U2's sorry) and this light packs a punch. I guess I am impressed with the output. I have had a few days to mess with it and it works well. the switch is clunky but seems to have no alignment issues. It is very hard to push and looks unsealed as stated above. The body has a large ID. 2 SF batteries "rattle" kind of like a M@G but I can't complain.

All in all, worth my 30 bucks and 2 weeks waiting.
FWIW I had no idea that light would be as much of a clone as it is. I was intoduced to DX and this light here under a title U2 copy now available, I guess the title was very correct.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't dis tenfour for doing the review! If he had not done it we would not have
known that it was a counterfeit, rather than merely a clone.
It also doesn't seem to be all that great a light anyway.
There are plenty of other cheap Chinese lights out there,
including some that already have Cree XR-E LEDs.

Obviously, a counterfeit Surefire is likely to be confiscated by Customs,
making it a dubious bargain even if you don't care about the ethics of it.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

My guess is that they're sending it through the mail and the Customs people that are assigned to the Postal Service facilities are just passing them through as a Passed Free item given their low value, and not knowing what is actually in the envelopes (often heat sealed plastic envelopes.) My guess is that a complaint to either Customs or the Postal Inspection Service with one of those envelopes would probably put the items on a watch list.

If an entire shipment were to come through conventional commercial channels, it would most likely be confiscated as you mentioned since many Customs enforcement personnel would indeed know what a real Surefire product looked like.

AndyTiedye said:
Obviously, a counterfeit Surefire is likely to be confiscated by Customs,
making it a dubious bargain even if you don't care about the ethics of it.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Exactly. I can't afford a U2 myself either. THat's why I don't have one.

PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
As a review it is just peachy. It tells us a lot about how the light works.

I can not BELIEVE that it is marked exactly like a Surefire. The possibilites, ALL BAD! make my head hurt!

I can't afford the real thing. But I'd NEVER buy a CARBON COPY CLONE of it!

fishx65

Enlightened

Great review!!

Last edited:

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened

Kudos to tenfour for posting this review. I echo what someone said above in that information in and of itself is a good thing. He took a chance on this flashlight, and is simply giving a review of what he found (and rather objectively I might add).

What I would say bothers me slightly is the reaction this thread has gotten, and in such, I feel sorry for tenfour having to bear this. I see this as a case of common courtesy. Tenfour prefaced his review asking for the debate of ethical/moral issues to be taken elsewhere. Hey, we all know this was going to be a copy of some sort from the sales pictures. This has been well discussed/argued elsewhere (a LOT). But yet some users felt the need to come here into tenfour's thread and still bring up the very issues he asked to have taken elsewhere. Frankly, I find that to be nothing less than rude.

It would have taken all of 2 minutes to start a new thread to discuss ONLY the moral/ethical/copyright implications of this particular light, as opposed to the performance which was supposed to be discussed here.

I may be a relative newcomer here at CPF...I love the fact that an amazing amount of data and opinions are available here for review...but I do feel that this blantant disregard for the requests of original posters is far too out of line and should be dealt with.

My 2 cents...thanks for reading.

Eric

daveman

Enlightened

A clone would be fine.
A counterfeit is not.

This is flat out forgery.

Well done on the review though.

rookie

Enlightened

Thanx for the great review and detailed pics! :thumbsup:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

tenfour,
I feel I owe you an apology. I falsly assumed that you purchased this light knowing it was labeled as a SureFire U2. To me, such a purchase, regardless of intent would be considered dubious. Your request to keep the ethics out of this thread seemed like asking too much and especially in light of some of the follow up comments where not only was the morals or ethics ignored by the poster, questions were raised as if there was no issue what so ever.

Anyway, your review is sound and well stated. If this light is brought to market without obvious misreprentation as a forgery, it may have a legitimate place.

The light has not hurt SureFire here on CPF as any news can be good news for the marketing people. Beyond CPF any forgery has negative effect on all but those exploiting the ignorant or unknowing.

Well, I got long winded and didn't plan to. I see you as an innocent and honest messenger here and I don't hold the message itself against you but thank you for bringing it out. :eek:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just purchased one ***SOLELY*** for evaluation on my website; PK at SureFire will definitely be furnished with the URL when the web page is published.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brighteyez said:
My guess is that they're sending it through the mail and the Customs people that are assigned to the Postal Service facilities are just passing them through as a Passed Free item given their low value, and not knowing what is actually in the envelopes (often heat sealed plastic envelopes.) My guess is that a complaint to either Customs or the Postal Inspection Service with one of those envelopes would probably put the items on a watch list.

Exactly! And does it not seem extremely likely that such a complaint will
be forthcoming from Surefire? And how would Customs respond? Wouldn't
they start opening up everything that comes in from Dealextreme? Most of
what they sell is on the up-and-up, like their newly-released Cree lights,
which many of us (including me) have on order, but we may still be a long
time getting it now.

Anybody want to post on dealextreme's bboard about it?

FWIW, kaidomain sells a lot of the same stuff, but no faux Surefires.

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia

mchlwise said:
Personally, I think you're doing a great service by posting this review, and I applaud you for doing such.

(I'll justify my position, lest the mob mentality accuse me of "supporting" this light's sale and call for my permanent ban :sigh: )

I feel this way for a few reasons:

1) you have clearly shown through pictures and text the differences between the knock-off and the authentic Surefire.

In the future, this will allow people who don't know any better to compare the light they got and know if it's authentic or a knock-off.

2) you have shown the lights performance, allowing people to make an informed decision.

Without your review, people would not have as much information. People may now buy the light because of that information, or they may decide to pass on the light when they would have otherwise bought it out of curiosity.

3) information is never a bad thing, and I believe in freedom to make informed decisions.

There are plenty of people around here who would advocate completely ignoring this light in the hopes it will go away. Others want people to know about it so they will go out and lynch those who made it.

I believe that people should be allowed to make their own informed choices, and that the more information they have, the better they will be able to choose.

By providing information, you have helped, not hurt.

:rock:

I agree 100%. God bless the USA, CPF and the real SF.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't apologise.

The excellent review is most welcome and allows buying decisions to be made on the technical merits.

It's sold as Surefire U2 Style K2 Flashlight Black

It's not marketed as Surefire U2 K2 Flashlight Black

The photo's don't purport to claim it is a Surefire U2 Style K2 Flashlight Black

We all know it's probably lower quality (maybe not)

There are so many posts berating SF and SF CS, is it any wonder a copy is introduced.

It may have the SF logo on it, but that is not discovered until receipt.

So, having purchased the Surefire U2 Style K2 Flashlight Black, and discovering it is only a Surefire U2 Style K2 Flashlight Black, and not a real SF torch, you can return it, all costs covered.

I think a lot of the fuss is because SF claim that their torches are all made in the USA.

"Where was my flashlight made?
In the U.S.A. SureFire is proud of the fact that it has not joined the outsourcing trend, and maintains manufacturing, assembly and test facilities in Southern California."

If they were made in China, ala Fenix, and distributed in USA, would there be all this fuss.

CPF'ers seem quite content to buy, keep and recommend Fenix clones, albeit, w/o Fenix logo.

No doubt, if there is commercial dubiousness going on, then the manufacturers of the Surefire U2 Style K2 Flashlight Black will be asked to remove from sale, followed by court action.

However, the fact that the manufacturers (and the dealer) are based in Asia may negate this somewhat.

I do not condone, nor do I object to the Surefire U2 Style K2 Flashlight Black.

Just my 99p's worth.

Nice review.

I won't be buying one, based on technical merits alone.

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also was expecting to see a review, thanks 10-4 for doing it.
What I don't understand is why the dealer choosed to forge a brand and the shape, I can't think of any good intention if you go that way, no matter how you call it or the wording you use to sell the stuff, its plain wrong.

A shame, because the light at $20~$26 shipped is not a bad deal at all... :shakehead

Pablo

tenfour

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the kind words :)

Another update regarding the tailcap - it comes apart in these pieces (in order):

boot
shim (circular plastic piece with raised circle in the center)
housing (big plastic thing that keeps the switch in place)
switch
threaded conductive washer
brass contact
plastic cover

Using J-B Weld, I glued:
- the shim to the boot, and
- the housing to the switch
...all as centered as i could get using my eyes. Let cure, reinstall, and the switch is just fine now.

Unfortunately, I tightened the lid on my JB Weld too much though, and it got a small crack out of which compound spilled all over my desk. Oh well!

My final plan is to remove the surefire branding, so i don't get a sick feeling every time I use this light.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting Review on several levels. Illegal booty for sure. Hard to place ethics aside on black market goods and brand names. I think I'd rather have one good light ($$ Surefire) than buy 2-4 crappy clones and end up spending the same amount eventually when it is all said and done. Easy to say-hard to do. Tempting to throw down $29.00 at-a-time. Very hard to plunk-down $200.00.

paulr

Flashaholic

Tenfour I've been wondering how one might remove that Surefire branding. Grinding off the ano finish doesn't sound too nice. I guess you could paint over it with black enamel nail polish or something like that.

Latest posts