DealExtreme U2 "fake" review (Lux version)

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DealExtreme U2 clone review (Lux version)

Art Vandelay said:
I feel sorry for anybody who buys these second hand, thinking they are getting a real Surefire. I've seen copies before, but this is counterfeit. They put the Surefire label on the side, good grief!
I wrote the above post back when thread first started. That was a long time ago. That was post #2 in this thread.

This is an update. The "U2 Clone" no longer has any Surefire markings. Could that have been due to the indignation here at CPF, who knows? The OP did us all a favor by letting us know about this light. At the time this thread was started, nobody had heard about the "U2 Clone".
:)

nima

Newly Enlightened
I cannot understand all the animosity that this light is being subjected to. I see two possible explanations, but neither make much sense. The first is that Surefire fans are angry that this may cut into their preferred company's revenue; that while competition is good in business, this product competes unfairly by stealing the Surefire design and markings. However, this product makes no effort to compete with Surefire's U2 because it's an entirely different product, sharing none of the real U2's market. No one who needs the quality and capabilities of a real Surefire U2 is going to settle for this toy. If anything, this product serves to advertise for the original.

My other conjectured explanation for the enmity towards this product is the fear that naïve buyers will purchase it under the premise that they will receive an authentic U2. This explanation, however, falls apart rather quickly as well, because there should exist no such naïve buyers of a flashlight that costs nearly three hundred dollars. Any prospective customer should be at least familiar enough with the light to know the function of the selector ring, and that it is to have more than two output levels. The seller may as well ship them an empty box.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
wait wahts the difference
Different LED Cree instead of Luxeon and the body no longer tries to pretend to be a Surefire. I've had one of these for quite some time and it's on of the better made and better preforming lights that DX carries well worth the money.
Norm

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different LED Cree instead of Luxeon and the body no longer tries to pretend to be a Surefire. I've had one of these for quite some time and it's on of the better made and better preforming lights that DX carries well worth the money.
Norm

Which one do you have, Norm? I saw that there is one on DX that uses a 18650. The other can use multi volts and has 8 modes sort of like the Fenixes?

kboy25

Newly Enlightened

A clone would be fine.
A counterfeit is not.

This is flat out forgery.

Well done on the review though.

I agree with Daveman...superfire, ultrafire...we all know those are clones...but to actually put surefire on its label is to deceive people into thinking that is what it is....:eek:

although we should be smart enough to know SF lights won't be going for $20 :thinking:

like the old saying goes "if its sounds too good to be true, it probably is"
or something like that haha.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, the 8 mode one looks like it might be a good buy. I'll compare it closely to my real SF U2 when I get it.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Last edited:

silversinksam

Newly Enlightened

Tail clicky is shorter. Notice the surefire.com link there... Also note that my U2 has Nekomane's z58 tailguard on it. That mod will not work with this clone, because the tailcap is all 1 piece.
07.jpg

I picked one of these up to compare it to my legit U2 and their's good news and bad news, I'll start with the good:

The Good: The Chinese manufacturer did away with the www.surefire.com on the tailcap
cool.gif

U2%20009.jpg

The Bad: It still says Surefire on the body
knight.gif

U2%20111.jpg

I feel sorry for anybody who buys these second hand, thinking they are getting a real Surefire. I've seen copies before, but this is counterfeit. They put the Surefire label on the side, good grief!

Don't feel sorry for me, I knew what I was buying my friend, I've done much research regarding Chinese -bunk -erroneous -not what they say it is junk, one of my articles regarding one of these bunk products produced a USA and European recall, stores like OCZ, Compusa and Bestbuy didn't (and probably still don't) like me much as I was a thorn in their @ss and managed to stop them from selling bogus thermal silver products for pennies and selling them for 1000% or more profit.. This particular article was very popular on many Continents, and many people opened their eyes to the world of bunk Thermal products, it was the outrage of the masses after the article appeared that stopped the big boys like Compusa and Bestbuy to pull these bogus products. The Chinese manufacturer really should stop putting the word Surefire on the body, perhaps they have on some looking at DX's new version, and perhaps I got old stock from another site, it is odd they removed the www.surefire.com on the endcap and left the Surefire on the tube with this revision....
dope.gif

With that said, I still believe that some of these Chinese lights aren't half bad and are possibly the best bang for the buck, certainly not this U2 Surefire copy, but I believe the Ultrafire C2 with the HA-III finish is the best bang for the buck LED light you can buy, they're even better if you upgrade the cooling and mod them a bit, but that's just my opinion. And you know the saying about opinions...:candle:

Olaf

Banned
Hey this looks cool!:twothumbs I didn't know Kai was still sellin the good version. Does anyone know is DX is still shipping the surefire verson also?

NickDrak

Enlightened
"Hey this looks cool!:twothumbs I didn't know Kai was still sellin the good version. Does anyone know is DX is still shipping the surefire verson also?"

You are kidding right???
This is exactly why both of these companies will never see a dime of my money. :sick2:

Last edited: