DealExtreme U2 "fake" review (Lux version)

Carpenter

Enlightened
Re: DealExtreme U2 clone review (Lux version)

Question to seller:
Can you please let me know the serial # of the U2

First reply from the seller:
sure the upc no is 084871125413. This is the newest version of the U2.

I'm sending him this back
Thanks, but I'm more interested in the serial # of the actual flashlight. It's right under the Surefire logo and I think it starts with an "A".
Any bets on the reply?

P.S. It's now at $77

Last edited:

fire-stick

Enlightened

The seller also has other Surefire items for sale (SUREFIRE M4, SUREFIRE 9AN, and a SUREFIRE M3T) so maybe the U2 is for real? Nevertheless it's at a $100 now.

All emotions aside... That was a pretty good review. The more information someone has the better.

It does look like a decent little light, I just wish they wouldn't have made it an exact copy of the U2.

One thing stands true, the level of quality in a well crafted, rock solid, american made product, like the REAL U2, is hard to match!

I hate how they use the word Surefire on ebay.....

like you search for Surefire and it comes up looking like this.

Cheap wanna be Tactical Flashlight compatible w/ Surefire batteries

Norm

Retired Administrator

fire-stick do you have links to the Surefire products? I can't find them.
Norm

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

tenfour -

Thank you for exposing this counterfeit for what it really is. I have added warnings to my main page, U2 review and Fakes, Frauds, and Fallacies page. I'd hate to have someone find a great deal on a U2 on ebay only to get this piece of garbage. This has HUGE potential for abuse on ebay and unethical internet dealers.

For sale: brand new U2 in box, great deal at $190.00! 400 in stock. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

Enlightened

Based on the review and other forum comments the flashlight sounds like a piece of junk to me. I prefer the real thing to cheaply-made imitations. So-called "bargains" usually don't turn out to be one after all.

Fakes are called fakes for a reason. :thumbsdow

Danbo

Enlightened
I look at this ripoff light, the same way I look at those junky India/Pakistan/China ripoff "knives" that you see at gun shows; with amazement, disgust and pity. Amazement, that anybody's conscience would allow them to create such a POS in the first place. Disgust, at the cheezy way they're marketed, and pity upon anybody who supports such a thing by buying them.

LawKid

Newly Enlightened

I too applaud the OP for his/her review of this. Had I not read this, I might have fallen for it. Now I know what to watch out for. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a counterfeit SureFire before reading this.

Carpenter

Enlightened
Danbo said:
and pity upon anybody who supports such a thing by buying them.

More like pity for the person who buys one of these clones thinking they are getting the real SureFire U2 either for the cheap price or the price that a Real SF U2 goes for, and then finding out different after calling SureFire for a warranty claim.

Yes, I have one of these clones. I knew it was a clone when I got it, but it's a great light to let the kids use when they want to play with a light and the minimag's won't cut it. Giving them my hotwires isn't going to happen for many obvious reasons.

Now I just need to save my money to buy the real thing for me to play with :)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carpenter said:
I knew it was a clone when I got it, but it's a great light to let the kids use when they want to play with a light and the minimag's won't cut it. Giving them my hotwires isn't going to happen for many obvious reasons.

Now I just need to save my money to buy the real thing for me to play with :)

What you need is a clone copy of an Ultrafire !

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I received mine a short time ago this afternoon.

The tailcap clicky failed after just four activations :(, but I repaired it quickly enough, and I will handle the flashlight gingerly until after I take beam photographs, measure current consumption, take intensity measurements, and perform spectroscopy.
Then I'll beat the living tweedle out of it, try to drown it in the toliet, etc. :thumbsup:

Needless to say, I think it will rate fairly poorly on my website. :shakehead:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The_LED_Museum said:
Then I'll beat the living tweedle out of it, try to drown it in the toliet, etc. :thumbsup:

Needless to say, I think it will rate fairly poorly on my website. :shakehead:
20 stair whacks Craig! 20 stair whacks! :rock:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I sent the link to its evaluation on my website to PK of SureFire, along with DealerExtreme's URL, so he/SureFire can take whatever action they deem necessary.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame on those of you who are even considering buying this light, if even for modding purposes. If you respected surefire at all, you wouldnt give this light a second thought. I can understand buying a clone that hasnt been branded as the light it has been made to imitate, but this is going too far.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
Tenfour,
..Thanks for an excellent objective review. Many of us were unaware that there were knockoffs that actually went as far as copying the Surefire trademark. You have provided a valuable service educating us on this subject.
JC

jeepinpaul

Newly Enlightened
I purchase 3 of these lights from dealestreme when they were advertised and pictured as a U2 clone. I bought them to give a low cost gift for my buddies birthdays. I was shocked and very upset when they came in the mail etched as Surefire Digital U2 Ultra flashlights. I will not buy another product from dealextreme.

It is certainly is not the quality of a Surfire, but I must admit it is a pretty good LED light for $22 delivered. My non-flashlight obsessed friends will never notice the difference with their gift.

spring

Newly Enlightened
This is probably my first response to any posts on CPF. I am quite disappointed there were so many comments about the obvious cloning of the U2. This was clearly stated at the beginning of the post and to my knowledge the cloning issue has not been disputed by anyone. To me, this creates an opportunity for Surefire enthusiasts to point out the superiority of the real-deal in comparison to the clone. I think most members of the forum are not going to shell out any money on a light without doing a little research and I don't think anyone with a little common sense couldn't figure out that you can't buy a real U2 for the $20 to $25 range. I just did a Google search for U2 and the first website I found selling the real U2 had a price of $279. Also, non-flashlight enthusiast probably wouldn't even spend $25 for a light. Most people I know think you can buy a good light for $10.