Dedicated throwers

Waspy

Newly Enlightened
the web site seems a bit messed up on my browser..

is this everything you need to fire it up, or do you need to buy more pieces?

it describes this as an upgrade kit for a surfire light rather than a complete light on it's own?

I don't see where it says anything about running on AAAs on the right where is show 18650 runtimes, ect..

Yes it fits Surefire bodies, also Solarforce bodies, they are all the same.

You get the 'Monster Thrower Head' bit of a joke name but a serious bit of kit, plus if you look on the left, it says under 'Product Name'...... Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head King ~ Monster Thrower + Free L2i AAA/18650/CR123A battery tube + switch x 1pc FREE !!

I ordered exactly this just for the head (I already had a body and tailswitch to fit) and it came with a (fattish) tube, a tailswitch and a battery cartridge that takes 3xAAAs

Now, the 'Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head' is already acknowledged as a terrific thrower, with the free stuff, you add 3 AAAs for a total of 4.5 volts. The Catapult with one 18650 is 3.7 volts so there is no way it can be underpowered compared to one 18650.

You asked for a great thrower that takes alkalines and I believe this fits. The Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head is a great bit of kit and it comes with all you need except batteries.

Of course, later on if you fancied an upgrade you could add the Solarforce 2x18650 tube and suitable tailswitch.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
Well, unfortunatelly, Mastepiece pro-1 doesn't reach its full potential on 1x18650 or 3xAAA. You need at least 2xCR123, 2xRCR123 or 2x18650 (or equivalent in voltage). The circuit inside the head, has step-down converter, which needs bigger voltage, to run the LED at designed current. 1x18650 or 3xAAA won't provide sufficient voltage (18650) or sufficient current (3xAAA) for the circuit, to reach declared brightness. It will be bright and throwy, but it's not 100% of its capabilites.
I had MPP-1 and tested it in different configurations and these are my conclusions. If you want a pure thrower that is powered by AA cells, consider Fenix TK41 or Lumintop PK30.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Am using the Malkoff Hound Dog w/ MD3.

I find it puts out plenty of throw without being laser-like.

That being said, I'm in the market for a laser-like light! :) They have an important niche to fill.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Yes it fits Surefire bodies, also Solarforce bodies, they are all the same.

You get the 'Monster Thrower Head' bit of a joke name but a serious bit of kit, plus if you look on the left, it says under 'Product Name'...... Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head King ~ Monster Thrower + Free L2i AAA/18650/CR123A battery tube + switch x 1pc FREE !!

I ordered exactly this just for the head (I already had a body and tailswitch to fit) and it came with a (fattish) tube, a tailswitch and a battery cartridge that takes 3xAAAs

Now, the 'Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head' is already acknowledged as a terrific thrower, with the free stuff, you add 3 AAAs for a total of 4.5 volts. The Catapult with one 18650 is 3.7 volts so there is no way it can be underpowered compared to one 18650.

You asked for a great thrower that takes alkalines and I believe this fits. The Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head is a great bit of kit and it comes with all you need except batteries.

Of course, later on if you fancied an upgrade you could add the Solarforce 2x18650 tube and suitable tailswitch.

hmm, interesting.. I quite fancy one of these heads, I think it'd look funky on my l2m mini single cr123 body :D

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pro-1 managed to light up a cabin on the other side of a fjord at 650 meters when i was getting water from a stream on a hunting trip some months ago. There were no ambient light and my atv got terrible light, so i held the pro in my hand while driving back to my cabin. Really fun to play with all the rabbits running in front of me. Ended up with 3 running around in the beam, and they dident want to run out of it, almost felt like hearding them back to my cabin :)
It's a one mode, so i prefer 2x18650 with it. It gets dimmer under 6v but it still is plenty bright and really throwy even on 3 aaa's.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 beats A9 (with reflector head). It almost matches original A9 with aspheric lens.

Besides, your fake A9 can be better thrower that original A9. That's because fakes are frequently equipped with LED with EZ900 die, whereas original A9 had older LED with EZ1000 die, which is bigger and provides less throw. So don't hold your breath...

Spot on!

Just got my genuine A9 and the fake blows it away!

The fake outputs the emmiter square shape while the A9 just goes to a round beam. Gutted, I was expecting it to blow away the fake. Wish I'd never bothered.

brandocommando

Enlightened
Im getting tired of posting this, but here it goes.

Lumapower D-Mini with XR-E R2 at 1.2A with TurboForce SMO 66mm bezel = 70~80K lux. Yes, thats laser like throw and at 240ihs OTF lumens it will out throw all those 500~1000 lumen newer type of Thrunite/Fenix ect...lights.

You can have somebody even build you a custom Pill with XR-E R2 at 1.4A~1.8A and you will get 80~90K lux out of the same 1*18650 package.

bigC

My exact set-up! I got a Lumapower Turboforce head and a D-mini body off CPFMP for $38.00, and put a XR-E in it. It is running at 2A!!!

It THROOOOOOOOWS! It stomps my el-cheapo DX aspherical set-up (also an XR-E.)

Last edited:

yiyans

Newly Enlightened
Buy youself a real thrower (like Catapult V3, Crelant 7G5, Sunwayman TC40S) and you'll laugh from your poor TN11.

Hi coolperl
Saw your great review and I am less concerned about my 7G5 whining now.
Is there a way to changing the UI of the 7G5? Or am I hoping too much for a light that price.
IMHO the light's UI really is no match to its build qualit and finish.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Spot on!

Just got my genuine A9 and the fake blows it away!

The fake outputs the emmiter square shape while the A9 just goes to a round beam. Gutted, I was expecting it to blow away the fake. Wish I'd never bothered.

Just to add, I was being a muppet!

The reason the A9 wasn't the same as the fake was because the fake had an o-ring between the head collar and body collar, so when tight the head was a couple of mm further out than the A9. I put the o-ring on the A9 and it focuses the same as the fake. Got to say though the fake is all I'd have needed, the real A9 is a bit nicer but you'd not know the difference apart from 2 orings on the threads at each end.

Jthe5th

Newly Enlightened
Hi coolperl
Is there a way to changing the UI of the 7G5? Or am I hoping too much for a light that price.

What UI do you prefer? Or you just follow the personal preference of the reviewer which a large number of flashlights?
The light has memory though.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, interesting.. I quite fancy one of these heads, I think it'd look funky on my l2m mini single cr123 body :D

DSCF3633.jpg

:thumbsup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else with me? (well I know there is :D ) apart from the A9 is there anything else like that? I'm talking off the shelf not deft style.

:thinking: But the DEFT is "off the shelf" as in it needs no assembly. I also stand behind my work. Maybe you mean you don't like custom lights?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I understand what you've got saabluster, power, balance and efficiency wise. I was playing around with a 1.5 lumen white led and a magnifying glass, looking at the diode shape on the wall and dimly lighting up the tops of trees outside, and with that little tiny bit of light, and throwing it so far, I was noticing how much the spill was impairing my use of the spot of light.

LGT

Enlightened
While new here, all of my purchases have been made with information gained on CPF. And with that, I must agree with the thrunite catapult being an excellent thrower. This light needs room to stretch it's legs. And to add, the knowledge here can be intimidating. Hope my first post doesn't sound rediculous.

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
While new here, all of my purchases have been made with information gained on CPF. And with that, I must agree with the thrunite catapult being an excellent thrower. This light needs room to stretch it's legs. And to add, the knowledge here can be intimidating. Hope my first post doesn't sound rediculous.

not at all bro, welcome to the sickness:welcome:

my catapult rocks too, get some AW cells and you will amazed how they perform. Don't forget your DMM either:)

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
Hi coolperl

Please ask this question in 7G5 review thread. This is not a proper thread.
But to answer shortly, you can change the UI by changing the circuit board. With original board, you have to accept also original UI, as it is. However beeing a pure thrower and having a memory, 7G5 is not that hard to operate. Just leave it on "High" and enjoy your ~800lm and ~60K lux/1m. :thumbsup:

AutoTech

Enlightened
Just took my A9 with aspheric head and my TN11 out into the countryside. My mrs had left her camera down her horse field so I keenly went off armed with two of my lights.

I took pics and a vid on my phone but it just doesn't come accross anywhere near as great. One thing's for sure the TN11 is like a flood light compared to the A9.

It was a bit misty and the beam was just like a giant light sabre :D

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
When we talk about dedicated throwers...

There are 2 categories:
- Aspherical lenses throwers

- Deep reflector throwers

And simple fact that old XRE emitters are still king of throw weather in aspherical or reflector lights make me think that there are no and that will not be any more improvements in this category.

So I would say that only xre flashlight are true and dedicated throwers so all of you who have newest emitters be sure that U don't have dedicated thrower unless U downgrade to old xre.

Beam distance; Aspherical vs Reflector (same size) running the same emitter at same current... Winner is always aspheric

And I would like to add that lux readings are not telling U much about throwing ability of your flashlight.... So when you measure 60Klux/1m with reflector lights U must know that this will melt down at greater distances as hotspot is getting bigger so 800 lumen 7G5 XML led will have less throw than lets say 250 lumens solarforce masterpice xre light.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Here's a pic of my A9 with aspheric head. Rested it down on a fence post and aimed at a tree about 80 metres. I took a vid too.

730b30a9.jpg

The A9 has an o ring between the head and body to focus the emmiter shape, without it the light just has a round beam and doesn't get out like this. I had it out a good few hundred yards, as I say it wasn't a particularly clear night, bit damp in the air.

Here's my TN11 walking down the track to the field.

2f00c0bd.jpg

Pics aren't too bad considering they're off my iphone 4s.

Last edited: