Dedicated throwers

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
And simple fact that old XRE emitters are still king of throw weather in aspherical or reflector lights make me think that there are no and that will not be any more improvements in this category.

So I would say that only xre flashlight are true and dedicated throwers so all of you who have newest emitters be sure that U don't have dedicated thrower unless U downgrade to old xre.
Things have been moving along in the LED world. The XR-E is no longer the best choice for all throwing lights and is certainly not the most intense LED anymore. Currently the most intense LED is the XP-C Q4. It is the one I use in the DEFT-edc that whoops up on all the other P60 sized throwers. Now I'm using this same LED in the DEFT-edc LR which has an amazing 50% improvement over that! I don't recommend using the XP-C with larger lights as the spot size becomes too small in my opinion. But in a small light like the DEFT-edc LR it is unbeatable. Literally.

And I would like to add that lux readings are not telling U much about throwing ability of your flashlight.... So when you measure 60Klux/1m with reflector lights U must know that this will melt down at greater distances as hotspot is getting bigger so 800 lumen 7G5 XML led will have less throw than lets say 250 lumens solarforce masterpice xre light.

Well you are right assuming the one taking the measurements does them at 1 meter. You can however measure from farther out and calculate back to 1 meter for accuracy that is close enough. I'm sure you knew that but thought I'd add that for the benefit of others who may be reading this. I'm happy to see you helping people realize that a lower lumen light can out-throw a higher lumen light. It is an all to common misconception. :thumbsup:

Enlightened
And I would like to add that lux readings are not telling U much about throwing ability of your flashlight.... So when you measure 60Klux/1m with reflector lights U must know that this will melt down at greater distances as hotspot is getting bigger so 800 lumen 7G5 XML led will have less throw than lets say 250 lumens solarforce masterpice xre light.
Hey bro how are things? :D Got your Dereelight pill with better tint? I figured that i have a 1.5A one afterall and not the 1.2A....

I have the 7G5 coming, i also have the Solarforce MPP-1 XR-E. I think they will be pretty close, meter readings and beamshots coming (long range ones at 400 over metres). But the Solarforce is a bit disadvantaged, coz the 7G5 has a 58mm class reflector. IIRC MPP-1 is 50mm.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Hi Saabluster and 2100,

Sabluster I knew about your xpc it looks same like green xpe I have at my home. But they are old school emitters that will have potential only if properly tuned by you and only in aspheric right?

I just want to mention that xre r2 especially with ez900 die is the best choice for reflector throwers, and I personally would rather use that in aspheric instead of xpc because xpc has smaller die and larger hole that is bit annoying to me.

2100 friend I would like to think that 800 lumen xml 7G5 would out throw 200 lm solarforce xre q4 MPP1 but that will not be the case in this story. And U can only imagine what would happen if mpp 1 have deerelight 1,5 amp ez 900 pill it would kill every led reflector thrower in a world.

I figured out that best tint emitter for aspheric is WD.

Deerelight's new r2 pill have ez 900 die running on 1,5 amp, Alan from deerelight and I measured on light meters distance 7 meters he got over 90 Klux and I got 80 klux results

So improvements over old one that has 55-60 klux readings are obvious.

I really don't get it how come that Saabluster did not took deerelight aspheric as a host because he would make unbeatable throwing beast
with his knowledge.

JacobJones

Enlightened
I really don't get it how come that Saabluster did not took deerelight aspheric as a host because he would make unbeatable throwing beast [/FONT][/COLOR]with his knowledge.

He has already built a large unbeatable throwing beast, search for the DEFT HO or DEFT FTP.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
He has already built a large unbeatable throwing beast, search for the DEFT HO or DEFT FTP.

Of course he has Deft HO in a "heavyweight category"

Also has deft edc in "light category" very cute light.

But I think he could get extremely good results with deerelight aspherical host for his new category "middleweight " :)

yiyans

Newly Enlightened
What UI do you prefer? Or you just follow the personal preference of the reviewer which a large number of flashlights?
The light has memory though.

What I consider useful is a momentary function and I prefer the strobe mode hidden.
But what really annoys me is, with some other lights when you try to mode switch you have to flash the tail cap very quickly, so chances of a accidental mode switch is slim but the 7G5 mode switchs with slower flashing. This I find inconvenient.

Another thing is, I did find the front and rear springs too short for unprotected Sanyo 2800mah 18650s. It actually switched to strobe and blinded me when I tried to tail stand it last night. A warning for me to go gentle I think. LOL

yiyans

Newly Enlightened
Please ask this question in 7G5 review thread. This is not a proper thread.
But to answer shortly, you can change the UI by changing the circuit board. With original board, you have to accept also original UI, as it is. However beeing a pure thrower and having a memory, 7G5 is not that hard to operate. Just leave it on "High" and enjoy your ~800lm and ~60K lux/1m. :thumbsup:

oops! sorry about getting carried away and thanks for the reminder.
I guess changing the UI is out of my league. I have been EDCing this light to and from work in my bag for about a month now. I think I have forgotten about it being a thrower. ;P
Thanks for your help anyway.

Jthe5th

Newly Enlightened
What I consider useful is a momentary function and I prefer the strobe mode hidden.
But what really annoys me is, with some other lights when you try to mode switch you have to flash the tail cap very quickly, so chances of a accidental mode switch is slim but the 7G5 mode switchs with slower flashing. This I find inconvenient.

Another thing is, I did find the front and rear springs too short for unprotected Sanyo 2800mah 18650s. It actually switched to strobe and blinded me when I tried to tail stand it last night. A warning for me to go gentle I think. LOL

When have you bought the Crelant 7G5? you seem to have bought it some time ago. I didn't know about it until a week or so ago.
Sanyo 2800 mAh are ultraflat-tops, they don't make good contact one with another.

Last edited:

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
not at all bro, welcome to the sickness:welcome:

my catapult rocks too, get some AW cells and you will amazed how they perform. Don't forget your DMM either:)
What is a DMM?

YUP, Digital multi-meter to keep an eye on your cells, before, during and after use. the catapult won't shut down to protect the cells so you have to rely on the cell internal protection if you try and run it way down.

anyone using rechargeable Li should have one and use it, especially if our not going with really high quality cells like AW.

recharge early and recharge often:)

Just a friendly reminder

Enlightened
Tat, thanks...will see if i can get the EZ900 1.5A WD pill (multi voltage and multi level this time round. 80k sounds yummy, can compare with the TK70 and see how, also to give confirmation to your numbers.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
2100.it is great improvement over old rs so get yourself R2 1,5A WD and U will see. Throw goes well over 700 meters. While U can clearly percept object up to 350+ meters...

Also if someone has reflector DBS buy this upgrade for killer throw.

Only DEFT HO (and other costum) can outthrow this fantastic dbs aspheric...

TK70 is not comparable with that it kills everything in throw except deft.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's not accurate. I agree with the first part of your post (which I didn't include) and I agree with the last part when you start talking about lumens however lumens has nothing to do with throw but lux does.

If you mean that 60k lux/1m needs to actually be measure more at 10 m and then converted back to 1 meter then I agree. But the hotspot melting away is irrelevant as long as the 60k/1meter number is correct. The inverse square law of light works regardless of beam size.

Enlightened
There is one thing that is perculiar to aspherics....and that is uniformity of the lux across the die. The ez900 seems to be slightly better. Admittedly, quite large portions of the EZ1000 DBS aspheric is getting like 50k only. Seriously it is not visually outthrowing my Sunwayman T40CS by a whole lot (and the Fandyfire STL-V6 at that).

yiyans

Newly Enlightened
When have you bought the Crelant 7G5? you seem to have bought it some time ago. I didn't know about it until a week or so ago.
Sanyo 2800 mAh are ultraflat-tops, they don't make good contact one with another.

Not long. It was first released in China in July (on the 5th I think) and has been talked about for a bit. I only got mine last month from a local dealer in Taiwan. Coolpearl's info on 7G5 is the only one I can find online outside Asia.
Here is a link to the Chinese site if you are interested in seeing some nice closeups and beam shots of the light.
http://www.shoudian.com/viewthread.php?tid=199118&highlight=7G5

I am new to flash lights (hence the excitement of EDC a 7G5) so it may be the Sanyo I have to blame....something learnt. Thanks
Two stronger and longer springs would sure help with the battery contact, wouldn't they?

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
That's not accurate. I agree with the first part of your post (which I didn't include) and I agree with the last part when you start talking about lumens however lumens has nothing to do with throw but lux does.

If you mean that 60k lux/1m needs to actually be measure more at 10 m and then converted back to 1 meter then I agree. But the hotspot melting away is irrelevant as long as the 60k/1meter number is correct. The inverse square law of light works regardless of beam size.

Yes I think lux readings should be taken at larger distances.

About size of hotspot. I don't know about inverse square law of lights. But for me hotspot size does have difference.I will give U example of flashlight I own:

Microfire Warrior 3500 HID(lux readings about 60k lux/1m) vs Deerelight aspheric(50K lux readings) running on old 1,2 amp pill

Winner is deerelight aspheric and it throws, a lot smaller and brighter hotspot than microfire.

This is just one example. We have also tested all sorts of thrower lights(some were budget some were expensive stuff) with sst 50, sst 90, xml can not reach as much as the throw of small r2 die.

Their hot spot simply melts down on grater distances while tight hotspot of r2 emitter throws further.

So I can tell for me only law that matters is my eyes they don't lie unless I drink whole keg of beer ;)

Saabluster recently find out that only emitter brighter than xre r2 is xpc q4 but I want to tell him that R2 ez900 die is better choice than xpc, and it will last longer.

Maybe I am wrong but that is my opinion since I am in a endless search for practical gun mountable thrower lights and have tried tons of lights...

And one thing that I wanted say especially to 2100 friend that light pollution in cities or towns has big influence on vision perception, and I have to say that throw abilities of certain flashlights need to be tested in nature that has not got any light pollution.

Here at my place nights are very dark(except moonlight), U don't actually see finger in front your nose, so while I'm watching some of night shoots by CPF members they look like they were taken at evening conditions same as I have at my place...

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
Tatjanamagic. I am interested in what you find as your favorite weapons mounted light. Also, what weapon you intend to put it on.

I have several single 18650 lights I could mount on my favorite AR15 but I decided to mount my Jetbeam BC40. It doesn't throw as far as my Olight M3X but it's smaller and lighter. It also puts out more side spill while still giving me plenty of light out to 200+ yards which is probably more distance than I will be using it for unless I mount a different scope on the rifle. Now I am using it with an Aimpoint Comp M3 which isn't magnified and I don't really need more than 200 yards or so because my eyes are not good enough at longer distances without magnification.

Jthe5th

Newly Enlightened
I am new to flash lights (hence the excitement of EDC a 7G5) so it may be the Sanyo I have to blame....something learnt. Thanks
Two stronger and longer springs would sure help with the battery contact, wouldn't they?

That sure would help, especially in this case.
You could also solder some very small blobs on each cell on the top, so that the contact is assured with another flat surface. Then maybe you wouldn't have to change the springs, because this might happen with another flashlight too.