Dissapointed with Fenix FD45; Resolved: battery issue

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Extremely dissapointed with my new Fenix FD45

As I am in South Africa, I do not normally have access to all the nice stuff. I've been told Eneloops are also sold rebranded.
The Duracells in this link. Do you think they might be the rebranded Eneloop Pro's?
https://www.takealot.com/duracell-2400-mah-staycharged-rechargeable-aa-batteries/PLID32538367
At least these are available locally.

If they are made in Japan, then they are rebranded Eneloop Pros. I if you have access to Amazon basics NiMHs, the Japanese made ones are Eneloops, same thing with the Japanese Ikea NiMH's, all should say something about being pre-charged or ready to use along with being made in Japan.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened

If they are made in Japan, then they are rebranded Eneloop Pros. I if you have access to Amazon basics NiMHs, the Japanese made ones are Eneloops, same thing with the Japanese Ikea NiMH's, all should say something about being pre-charged or ready to use along with being made in Japan.

Some Duraloops weren't Pros, and there's different generations out there. I've also heard not all Japanese produced NiMH are made to the same spec as Eneloops, but any of the ones that are made in Japan and line up closely with a particular gen of Eneloops seem to be at least extremely close.

Pedantry aside...

The white Ikea Laddas (made in Japan, of course) are excellent and sometimes remarkably cheap. Some of the Amazon Basics aren't made in Japan, and they've changed the colours of the good ones around a few times, so be very careful to check the pictures and descriptions! I've seen some other big brands like Energizer selling Made in Japan NiMH that may be... Enerloops? ... but I haven't seen much testing on those. I've built up a collection of good NiMH batteries including from Duracell, Ikea, and Amazon, and it has been much cheaper than getting brand Eneloops.

Long story short: Low self discharge/precharged NiMH batteries made in Japan that line up closely to Eneloop sizing are very likely rebadged or close enough. Just be very careful making sure you know what you are getting exactly.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just forget NiMH for performance lights. I know many disagree but just go straight some to some Li-ions.

17500 or 18500 or 16650, etc.

for max performance, use multiple cells.

e.g. I run 3x18650 in my Hound Dog Super.
I also prefer li-ion cells in my lights. They are very lightweight compared to Eneloop pros and hold more power per mass.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Guys, the flashlight was not the problem. It was inferior batteries. I took the 8 Eneloops I've charged this morning. It is now 20h26 as I posted this. I tested them all on my multimeter to select the four that retained the most power. But I could not choose. ALL 8 gave the same reading. 1.41V. simply amazing. To add, they must be at the very least be 6 years old. Well. Now the light enters turbo mode and stays there. Amazing. Fenix, thank you for the nice flashlight I could buy as a gift to myself:thumbsup:

Happy to hear that the issue (w/ the batteries) has been resolved satisfactorily.
If you would be so kind as to add an addendum to your first post along these lines, that would help clear up the conversation moving forward, thanks. :thumbsup:

lightseeker2009

Enlightened

Happy to hear that the issue (w/ the batteries) has been resolved satisfactorily.
If you would be so kind as to add an addendum to your first post along these lines, that would help clear up the conversation moving forward, thanks. :thumbsup:

Done!

lightseeker2009

Enlightened

I had it constantly on for 30 minutes on high (350lm). Since it is so small I expected it to build up some heat. But now. It barely got warmer than what it started at. I always test a light like this before I use it for ceiling bounce duty during power failures.