Dive Light Build

Obi_Kwiet

Newly Enlightened
I would like to put together a dive light with some fairly dim output settings. Off the shelf lights are all far too bright even on the brightest settings. I was hoping to do something that could do maybe 10-100lm, and maybe a 11 degree beam with a bit of a bright spot.

My first thought was to buy a light and modify it either by swapping out the driver or adding an in line resistor. Trouble is, I have no idea which cheap lights are user modifiable. Many of them seem to be glued together and it's impossible to get at the electronics. Keeping the light waterproof at depth is kind of a tough requirement, so it'd be best to start there I think.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Obi_Kwiet

Newly Enlightened
I don't think those will work all that well. Those are more personal locator beacons. They aren't meant to illuminate so much as they are to show their location. They have a large diffuser on them when prevents them from casting a beam.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think those will work all that well. Those are more personal locator beacons. They aren't meant to illuminate so much as they are to show their location. They have a large diffuser on them when prevents them from casting a beam.

Only other thing I have for you is to buy a used HDS Executive. According to the website those can be used as dive lights. Then you can set 3 lumen outputs.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Amp1L. The cone is removable.

I'll see if I can dig it out and see what it does. I bought it as a backup, and haven't really used it.

It has no modes, just on and off.