DIY Cree Eave Lighting

egghead2004

Newly Enlightened
Nice work Mike, perfect glow. Can you tell me exactly which cree LED this is? I'm used to Bridgelux, new to Cree. I'm looking forward to light my eaves as well, I'll be referring to this post many times. What I have now is a bit too powerful for all night use.

@fmzip, I have 19 of these fixtures burning 50 watt GU10s in my basement ceiling. I hope you post your ideas!

Last edited:

Mike M

Newly Enlightened
Nice work Mike, perfect glow. Can you tell me exactly which cree LED this is? I'm used to Bridgelux, new to Cree. I'm looking forward to light my eaves as well, I'll be referring to this post many times. What I have now is a bit too powerful for all night use.

@fmzip, I have 19 of these fixtures burning 50 watt GU10s in my basement ceiling. I hope you post your ideas!

It's an XR-e model. I just don't know the bin. It's around 3300K so that puts it below a Q5. Maybe a Q3?

Here is some useful Cree info:

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf

If you look at this link: http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E_B&L.pdf
Go to page 7. I think mine are a 7A or 7B. According to page 14 on that link a 7A and 7B put it at an N3? I don't remember buying N bin. Oh well, you get an idea of how to track down that color is what, what bins are and what to expect.

fmzip

Newly Enlightened

I will certainly post pics when I get this going.

The ones I have coming in as samples are XREWHT-L1-0000-007E8

http://components.arrow.com/part/de...33?region=na&whereFrom=partDetailClickThrough

They are warm white 2700K . They will not be the brightest but I am looking more for soft warm accent lighting than anything else. I am goiing to hook them up with an adjustable regulated power supply first to see if 350ma is sufficient lighting. If not I will likely drive them harder.

I have Cree Cr6's which are 2700K in my home and I think they are as close to incandescent lighting that I have seen. I just can't "warm up" to any whiter lighting. White light just looks too commercial to me.

I also got 12 of these coming from for China for $33 . I think they will provide sufficient heatsinking if I decide to drive these LEDS a little harder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120811856245

Last edited:

asimba2

Newly Enlightened
I have Cree Cr6's which are 2700K in my home and I think they are as close to incandescent lighting that I have seen. I just can't "warm up" to any whiter lighting. White light just looks too commercial to me.

I'm a huge fan of the CR6s, I have 12 of them in my house now with a couple more going in soon. I'm putting recessed cans in places that didn't have them before *just* so I can use more CR6s. I agree, the quality of the fixture and the light output is excellent. I'm with you on the warm white for residential fixed lighting too.

fmzip

Newly Enlightened
I'm a huge fan of the CR6s, I have 12 of them in my house now with a couple more going in soon. I'm putting recessed cans in places that didn't have them before *just* so I can use more CR6s. I agree, the quality of the fixture and the light output is excellent. I'm with you on the warm white for residential fixed lighting too.

I went on buying spree when my local Home Depot had the Ecosmart Cr6's for $20. I retrofitted 40 BR 30's with the Cr6's.

After searching for more Cree lighting, it led to me to stumble across this forum :)

fmzip

Newly Enlightened
How complicated is it to introduce a dimmer into the mix? I see some of these meanwell drivers are dimmable, but how?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
How complicated is it to introduce a dimmer into the mix? I see some of these meanwell drivers are dimmable, but how?
That's what I'm talking about! High output for security, but dim them down when you want to sit out back and look at the stars... I love dimmers.

fmzip

Newly Enlightened
That's what I'm talking about! High output for security, but dim them down when you want to sit out back and look at the stars... I love dimmers.

SO how do I add a dimmer and with what LED driver if I am running 10-12 lights?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
SO how do I add a dimmer and with what LED driver if I am running 10-12 lights?
I'm not completely sure but if I were doing it on the house I was living in I'd want the dimming capability and I'm sure that it's just a matter of minutes before someone with a better understanding comes and weighs in on the subject for us.

asimba2

Newly Enlightened
The ELN series Meanwell drivers are dimmable. You will have to build a potentiometer; the way they adjust is by varying a 0-10V pin in the driver.

fmzip

Newly Enlightened
Got the LED's soldered to the boards today at the shop. Nice to have SMT pick and place equipment and a reflow oven to solder these assemblies properly. Put 3.5V to them, they have nice warm glow!

Came home to find that the heatsinks arrived from Japan. Was surprised to see how quickly they arrived , just 8 days!

1cree.jpg

2cree.jpg

3cree.jpg

Last edited:

fmzip

Newly Enlightened
Last edited: