diy helmet light

duaneh

Newly Enlightened
I found this forum while looking for diy lights on youtube. I did a search but I could not find anyones tech article about a step by step diy helmet light. I ride mountain bikes and it would be great to have a set up that works as well as the $500 ones out there for a fraction of the cost. I know nothing about building my own or where to even buy the parts. Some of the post I have read were 3 years old and im sure things have improved by then. Maybe some of you guys could show me around the modern leds? Thanks, Duane

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: duaneh

This forum section is full of posts detailing how to make lights. There's no "one" thread simply because of the variety of projects. I'd suggest you browse the old threads from ktronik and others.

BrianMc

Enlightened
+1:welcome:

Lots of DIY lights are light enough for helmet use. Some are not.

Here is another newbie on this thread in another forum you should know of discussing a new light.

That thread points to the collection of lights thread there. The Achesalot/Amoeba design recommendation there is one you should look to determine if that is within your ability. Many variants on it.

The basics remain. A body, a light engine, optic, driver, connecting wires, mount, and battery. So even an old design, if you like it is easily done as a variatn with newer leds, drivers, and optics, even if the body, wiring, and mount remains much the same.

Have fun.