Does anyone DISlike the ProPoly Luxeons?

Do you like the ProPoly Luxeons?

• I have the 3C, and I dislike it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
asdalton said:
I have had 4 of these lights at different times, and there is quite a bit of variability in brightness, beam shape, and tint.

I bought two more this year. The tint and output here was more consistent this time. Both Luxeons were bright, and one was probably W0 while the other appeared to be X0. The beams, however, were not as tight as they could have been. I don't know if this fact is caused by sloppiness, or whether Streamlight has chosen to sacrifice a bit of throw to get a larger hotspot.Has anyone purchased a SL Propolymer 4AA recently and gotten a super-tight beam?
asdalton: I see no one else responded to this question so I'll add that the 3 PP 4AA's that I spoke of in my post earlier were all purchased in the last few weeks. The 'good' one from Brightguy should substantiate the fact that the builds likely have not changed, as I would think that his stock is constantly being refreshed. Now, the 2 that I got from the local tool store could have been there for months and months. They don't get that much business and there was dust all over the packages. I'm just going to be satisfied that I got 1 out of the 3 (2 actually, my brother took one) that is exactly what I was looking for in this light for its intended purpose. Super bright, nice n' tight, very white, lotsa throw.
I have had 3 of the 7 LED model for a couple of yrs. now. They get used constantly and I do not mind the switch or the poly body. I actually like the feel and find it easy to use under a varity of conditions. Nuff said.

greenLED

Flashaholic
It's not like these lights use the "plastic" you see on those $1 ray-o-vacs - these are highly engineered polymers.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
TooManyGizmos said:
:mad::mad:

4AA ..... Loose battery connections, poor contacts

dims and blinks while being used

Tried to fix many times ....... can't

Springs are strong enough and connections are clean

Prob. will send in for warr. replacement

At least it is covered by a GOOD WARRANTY :grin2:

TooManyGizmos: I have seen this problem before with this body.

Question: Have you ever screwed the head back on ..tight, and not have the light work? Being caused by either the batteries not properly inserted or they didn't line-up properly with the head when screwing it back on? If so, you may have compressed the springs and they will loose some tension causing the batteries to rattle easier and/or have some contact problems. I've done this myself.

To fix this, you can remove the rubber boot covering the switch, remove the nut and let the switch mechanism drop out the body. Stretch the springs a bit to increase battery tension. You can also clean the switch contacts with a little more disassembly. I have not needed to do this part yet, but my brother tells me he's had to do it a few times in the past.
All disclaimers apply. :laughing:

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I have or had 5 of the AA Luxeons. I loved everyone. I'm in possesion of at least 4 or 5 at the moment as I know I gave away at least 1 recently. I would love it more if: It were a little smaller, a little brighter, a little more flood, it came in pink or purple, possible orange. So really I would only love it more if they totally designed one specifically for me. Of the 6 I've had, they all were very close in output and tint. Only 3 were bought at the same time. The other 3 were bought at different times through different vendors.

Being a relative newbie to this forum and this light, I though I had located them at a super megastore in my area. I really loved the lights and bought a few more. When I gained some knowledge I realized I had purchased the 7 led model thinkig it was the light that was delivering CPF'ers their daily morning wood. I was too embarressed to admit to my mistake and I REALLY didn't want to admit that I liked the light for what it was. I really like them but I realy LOVE the LUX.

Edited to add:

My 8 year old nephew was over for the day and he was admiring my 6 yr old's pink aa mag and my 4 yr old's aa mag in purple. He decided he wanted one so told him to take his pick. Of course he wanted my orange or the flag model. I said "HHmm, those copper mags are awesome and hard to find. Do you like those?" He said "I love it uncle varmint" I took him down to target and bought him a new one with a nite-ize drop in. Talk about an excited kid. He played with it all night and then stowed it in his school backpack before leaving.

Just thought I'd share.

I think the 4aalux will be my Christmas giveaway light this year. Two years ago it was 6p's for the bro-inlaws an I bought my dad a e2e that never leaves his side. Last Christmas it was mimi-mags with nite-ize drop ins making sure the women got the pink or purple.

Birthdays have seen me give out a l1t to my bro, he carries it everywhere. I also got one for my father, he likes it as well.

I think it's time to step them up into something better, probably Surefire, something like an e2l to get them excited. I don't know if I could trust baby bro with an l4, or l2 and hope he could afford the batteries.

Last edited:

Longbow

Enlightened
I dislike my 4aa PP. At first its' performance wow'ed me, but gradualy I begain to avoid using it because of its' size and weight. Also I think it's ugly.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I've only had my 4aa a few weeks – I wish I could pretend I'd been in there from the start, but then I am a newbie.

I held off buying one on the grounds that I'd been reading so much praise since I found this site around nine months ago that I figured I'd be disappointed. . . but I love it. Maybe I got a good one, but it has a perfect white tint and amazing throw.

But then I like practical, workman-like lights. Runtime and a useable level of light mean more than all that "tactical" armchair commando stuff.

However, I'd trade the momentary mode you get by gently pressing the switch (am I the only one here that doesn't know Morse code?) for one that was harder to accidentally activate, or some kind of lock-out tailcap. The lamp module falling out when you change batteries is a minor irritation, too.

A flashaholic could survive with just this light and something like an Infinity Ultra for indoors, middle-of-the-night lighting needs. Note that I said survive. . .

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
Great light in general.

Minor issues, sometimes I want a broader beam, and if thrown in a bag with a bunch of stuff it sometimes switchs on.

Alex

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's why they have the two ears on either side of the switch on the SL PP 4AA bodies (all models). The 3C version has a much heavier touch to the spring and is more difficult to activate accidentally. And if it's of any consolation, I don't know Morse Code, and what little of it I did learn I have long forgotten, but do be aware that sites like this also tend to attract amatuer radio operators, and some did need to learn Morse Code for their licenses.

With regards to the removable lamp module, that seems to be characteristic of the entire Propoly line. It is what enables Streamlight to use different modules with the same body (thought they did have to change the reflector and the bezel for the Luxeon versions.)

Pax et Lux said:
However, I'd trade the momentary mode you get by gently pressing the switch (am I the only one here that doesn't know Morse code?) for one that was harder to accidentally activate, or some kind of lock-out tailcap. The lamp module falling out when you change batteries is a minor irritation, too.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll be happy with it, skalomax - I brought mine camping without the clip-on Ripoff holster I got for it (I planned to share it, so the holster would have been inconvenient for that) and kept it in a cargo pocket. It wasn't exactly flopping around, but it wasn't too tight, either. It fits diagonally very easily, there's a slight bit of tension around the pocket when carried horizontally, and it's just long enough to hinder closure of the pocket when carried vertically.

My SLPPL4AA batts ZTSed at 20% before the trip, so I brought spares, but I didn't end up needing to change them. The ProPoly kept its brightness throughout two nights of intermittent use.

BTW, a word of advice: if you're going camping, bring a headlight. If possible, bring a headlight for every camper.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
At First i did not want to buy i tbecause it was sort of Ugly but eh... Im not going to see the light at night just the Beam!! Im taking many Lights!! I wonder If i Use Lithium Batteries will the Runtime be longer and output be brighter? Im looking forward to this lights throw!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a good thread about ProPoly batteries here. Basically, any kind of cell will work, but only alks will keep the safety ratings intact.

Chris201W

Enlightened
As I'm sure that thread states, lithiums should give you longer runtime in regulation, but I don't believe you'll get brighter output. At least I can't tell the difference when I swap between alkalines and lithiums.

Burgess

Flashaholic
As i posted several months ago, in the thread:
"What feature do you want?" . . . .

Variable power settings on the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon.

Slight rotation of the head would give us click-stopped settings of 1/4 power, and 1/16 power.

Such a wonderful light. This would make it perfect.
grinser2.gif

Oh, and i always carry mine in a RipOffs model 188 holster.
The switch is thusly *impossible* to activate by accident.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just Got my Black One today!! Whoohooo! This light sure can throw and its not even dark Yet. I got a Purple Tint in Mine But I like it alot!! Great Buy

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like a very small percentage of voters dislike the 4AA. There were no negative votes for the 3C, but that could be because 3C owners bought the 4AA first, and then liked so much they wanted the bigger model.

A significant portion of voters indicated that they don't have either ProPoly. The poll doesn't specify any details for non-owners. They might not have one because they don't need one, don't like its specs, or simply don't have one YET.

Perhaps when I :bump: this thread, we'll get some more votes. The more data, the better! :)

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Just voted.

I have to agree with other posts here about some of the negatives but I consider them to be minor quibbles, ie. replacing the batteries is a bit finicky as they need to go in a certain way since the unit that houses the emitter also has to go in one way - changing batteries out in the field and in the dark would be painful.

Aside from that, it's a solid light and I like the weight and the way it feels in the hand. As a comparison, this light is a bit dimmer than my HDS U60 XRGT but appears whiter and with a slightly, pleasant green tint. I also like the fact that it runs on rechargeable AA's (I use 2500mAh NiMH's).