Dorcy 4AA focusing lantern

Saaby

Flashaholic
Unique little lights. They're a blast too because of that unique switch. They're cheap--get one to play with
grin.gif

Not exactly in the same league as the Energizer--they focus from spot to flood whereas the Energiser does flashlight or lantern...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not bad -for around $4. I've got that one with the Dorcy 4 cell (ground) white LED in it.
Also have the "D" battery larger version-around $8. Great lights to have around for power outages.
icon14.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had bad luck packing this type of light in a car. The slider switch moves far too easily leaving me with dead batteries when I'm ready to use it.

My edit (4 D sorry for typo) cell versions of this light are now permanently sitting on room shelves with my otherwise unused PT40 OEM 4.8 V 0.50 A HPR bulbs for emergency flood lighting purposes. If I didn't have them I wouldn't replace them. I'd rather use a fluorescent tube light for the flood application. I'd rather use almost any other 4 cell light for the spot application.

In any event, as a power outage light get more mileage out of it with a bright 0.50 A HPR lamp than with the 0.75 A Krypton lights the D cell versions come with.

A few years ago I saw a GE version of the D cell lights with a turn knob switch. If I were buying one now I'd look for that design.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lemlux-I've never heard of or seen a 2-"D" cell version of this light..when did you buy it?

Btw-my newer Dorcy Lantern has a strong detent/click off switch. The next time you have it in the car, just put a single layer of scotch tape on the inner rail of the focus-slider, and it won't activate when it's not supposed to. Also for at home use the LED 4-cell adapter works quite well.

I still find the 4-AA LED folding lantern by Eveready handier though..(bought at WallyWorld)

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:
Unique little lights. They're a blast too because of that unique switch. They're cheap--get one to play with
grin.gif

Not exactly in the same league as the Energizer--they focus from spot to flood whereas the Energiser does flashlight or lantern...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can you describe the beam, in terms of quality and coverage?

Saaby

Flashaholic
"I still find the 4-AA LED folding lantern by Eveready handier though..(bought at WallyWorld)"

That's a great light!

As far as area and coverage...others will reply and I'll get back to you.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have the 4AA and 4D ones. They are fairly bright, but are among the worst in my collection when it comes to batteries. I never use them anymore.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave one to my daughter for a power-out light in her apartment. It has a 3V LED PR bulb in it with 2 of the batteries as dummies. If the 2 primary batteries go down, she can switch to the 2nd set & make the low ones dummies. Then if they go down, she can go to 3 & then 4 batteries. I wouldn't even guess how many hours it will go & makes a nice area light when it's dark. She even has had to use it once when a transformer blew. TX

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 4D. Never use it. Totally a last resort power outage light. With the 4Ds in it, I get the sense that if it were dropped it's days would end forever. That little 4A for 4 bucks might be alright.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've used the Energizer 4D folding lantern, and was quite impressed by it. However, if you get it, better knock 10-20% off the printed runtime.
Still is a very long burning light, sturdy, quite
bright and versatile. Clever design.
I found it bright enough to use on one tube and I think it gave 30+ hours of useful light.

I also got a Streamlight Szyclone combo LED and incandescent. Very useful light with a surprisingly powerful LED, even though the incandescent beam looked like it was designed by Einstein's barber. Anyone know the real life incandescent runtime?

Brightnorm

steve_vance

Enlightened
Yeah...I've got several each of the 4AA and the 4D....put Ledtronics 3-LED PR bulbs in them and use them for power-outage lights.
Good and cheap.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened
txwest,
That's a great idea, using a 3 volt LED first with one set of 2 cells, then the second set, and then finally going to 3 and 4 cells as they become weaker. How do you perform the switching - did you rig up a switch, or do you have some sort of a jumper in the battery compartment to select which batteries are used?

Azreal911

Enlightened
i have one of the 4aa ones also. I basically run cheap nicads in them and throw in a mag 3cell bulb. it doesn't last long but it's super bright for a short term area light. I pulled off the handle cause i found it annoying so all it is now is a "light in a can".

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would the 4AA or 4D fare with an Everled? You'd think the side emitting LS would do well. But is it wired appropriately for the Everled (positive lead to the bulb tip)? Don't want to buy one to find out it isn't and poof the Everled.

Steve, saw your group buy. How does this compare to the Nuwai output wise? Would you say the Nuwai is kind of like having 4 Newbeams at 90 degree angles (3 leds each)?

RobD

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these and converted it to a Luxeon Star 1 watt.
with a switching supply. I just picked up the 4D one at a yard sale for a buck that I'm going to stick the same circuit in.
I'll try to post photos on it soon.
RobD

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lightwave said:
txwest,
That's a great idea, using a 3 volt LED first with one set of 2 cells, then the second set, and then finally going to 3 and 4 cells as they become weaker. How do you perform the switching - did you rig up a switch, or do you have some sort of a jumper in the battery compartment to select which batteries are used?

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry for the late reply. For hers, I just put in 2 plain cells & 2 with a piece of electrical tape on 1 end & wrap them in foil. When they get dim, switch to the new set & move the tape & foil to the used set. When they get dim, take the tape & foil off 1 cell, and then later, off the other. Now that I have a supply of dummy cells, I'd just use 2 new, then the other 2 new cells, then 3 cells, then finally 4 drained cells. Should get a long burn from 4 batteries.

Cougar_Allen

Newly Enlightened
There's a light similar to the Dorcy but without the focusing feature selling in Family Dollar stores for $1 now. The four AA cells are wired in series and the polarity is normal. Beam quality is pretty bad but you could put a led or leds in it, or even just add the top from a spray can for a diffuser and have a pretty usable lantern for $1.

That idea of turning batteries into dummies with tape and foil is a great idea; I can think of uses for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Cougar :{)