DrafterDan torch, model 12

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm experimenting with a new flashlight design. Drawn up some ideas in AutoCAD, but I need to feel how they fit.

One of the issues I have with my torches is that the OAL of the pill has to be exact. However its position in the head can be modified by o-rings squishing at different rates over time, or different thicknesses of mineral glass. So function of the torch can be spotty sometimes. My idea is to have the pill screw into the battery tube, firmly fixing the ID so it won't change over time.

nEtXg9.jpg

With any luck, I can get over to the lathe tonight to finish this pill. From there, I've got to modify the body design to accept a fatter section at the head end, without it looking weird. Sometimes it's better for me to just play with the metal, rather than designing it to the Nth degree.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, so something similar to this?

Double-male threaded pill, the position of the driver in the battery pack is independent of the position of the components in the head, plus the crystal is sealed around the edge instead of against the face. An o-ring is used a the head joint and the batter pack.

WkDEfI8.jpg
FfdcHbe.jpg
oXw4nck.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Devin,
Well, that's funny. Actually, I heard somebody tried this, but couldn't remember who it was. So cool! Your work is very clean.
I'm just now getting to the point of being somewhat happy with my threading...

My design is geared towards a 17mm Dragon driver, a MTN triple with secondaries LED & Carclo optics.

I made more progress last night. Finished the OD of the pill. Need to make a threaded holder so I can make a pocket for the LED board. I think this will end up better than my previous attempts where I just thermal pasted the MPCB onto a flat face.

Blue Dykem!!!
Yes, I have fully embraced threading away from the chuck
e6yCP2.jpg

Parting off
akchTN.jpg

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks sir, I'm certainly not the first to use this sort of construction but it seems to be uncommon in customs at least.

Your threading looks fine to me, nice use of Dyekem too. IMO you might have more accurate results making a split bushing to hold your pill over the threading (delrin/acetal for material) rather than trying to get any accurate hold with the threading.

Ah, a popular choice of components right now. For reference my pictures are of a McR-16 reflector inside of 11/16-32 threading and eventually a 12mm FET driver in the 5/8-32 threaded section

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yep, that's been done before. The venerable ARC LS had a driver and LED mounted on a threaded heatsink when it was introduced in 2002. I did the same in 2004 for my Slim2 pocket light. I used an aluminum disk for the LED heatsink and the driver was mounted on another. On my light a spring was used as a contact between the driver and LED so that it could be adjusted for best focus during assembly.

slim2_9.jpg

Dan

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My issue seems to come from the pill not contacting the battery tube, so the ground path isn't always complete.

I was under no illusion that I was breaking new ground, it's just the first time I'm using this idea. The reason for the 17mm driver and optics are merely because I have some on hand. Kinda feel like triples with Carclo optics are played out. I do like them, but they are done to death.

I seem to prefer either TIR or reflectors.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
A touch of progress, which lead to discovering the internal threading tool I have has too much flex. It won't do the job cleanly enough. So that means waiting for a stiffer boring bar to come in.

Anyway, here's my video that was apparently shot from an easily distracted lathe operator. Yes, it's hard to run a lathe one-handed while doing accurate work :)

https://youtu.be/5lMDfwHyUns

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
That was an interesting video. If you are finding that treading tool has too much chatter, you can reduce the overhang to just a touch more that needed to cut to the depth needed. The shorter the unsupported length, the stiffer it will be.

Dan

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could, Gadget. This particular tool has a rebated section that the carbide 60° is brazed onto. So there is no way to choke up on the tool to reduce bending. It's a tool I came across cheaply, and hoped that it would work.

I have a proper 10mm bar type coming in, that is fully supported. It just stinks waiting for parts to arrive so that I can continue

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'd thought of that too. I was only advancing .0025" each pass... Maybe my cheap tool is really really cheap

Damn my high expectations and perfectionist leanings

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a month later and I've got the proper tool.

hCCqjb.jpg

I did purchase one of the cheapie 10mm internal threading bar from China, but even though the image showed the insert on the RH side, the one they sent was opposite. Just about the time that was going on, this Vardex came up on the used market - blammo!

Don't believe I'll have any further issues with tool rigidity with this. Looking forward to being able to continue with this project

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a month later and I've got the proper tool.

hCCqjb.jpg

I did purchase one of the cheapie 10mm internal threading bar from China, but even though the image showed the insert on the RH side, the one they sent was opposite. Just about the time that was going on, this Vardex came up on the used market - blammo!

Don't believe I'll have any further issues with tool rigidity with this. Looking forward to being able to continue with this project

Nice!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The internal threading bar works great. Progress!
ASUnS2.jpg

I have the pill properly fitted into the body & head.

Next step is to do final bore for battery, determine length and bore/ thread for McClicky.
Then the fun part, finalizing the external shape.

Last edited: