EDC AA Light

fishndad

Enlightened
wow i think you should give up and never buy a flashlight in fact well ill stop there

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know :( I'm just trying to find out if my grail exists. I'm the kind of guy who enjoys using 1 very well made item for everything, same for flashlights. Of course if it doesn't exist I'll have to compromise. Building a single custom light from scratch, from circuitry to housing, is far too costly for me, and I don't have the time or contacts to get a batch made.
Totally understand, worth at least giving it a try if that's what you want: hope you find it! :)

If you don't find exactly what you are looking for though, I recommend giving up on the very compact size and go for a slightly bigger AA: at around 150 lumens you'd have a few great flashlights which would even exceed 300 lumens on a 14500 Li-ion.

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened
Totally understand, worth at least giving it a try if that's what you want: hope you find it! :)

If you don't find exactly what you are looking for though, I recommend giving up on the very compact size and go for a slightly bigger AA: at around 150 lumens you'd have a few great flashlights which would even exceed 300 lumens on a 14500 Li-ion.

A little larger would mean I can no longer carry it in my pocket and go well into CR123 or even 18650 territory, which would seem like better choices if i can't carry them in my pocket anyway.. Thing is most high output AAs are exactly the same diameter as their CR123 counterparts, and I don't understand why it has to be like that. Is it due to heat dissipation? Eagletac's 20mm D25C2 seems to handle 741 emitter lumens fine. Or does it have to do with cutting cost by sharing components..

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened
Maybe this one can be what you look for?
Xeno E03 with XM-L Cree Cool White T6 - 430 Lm AA/14500

It's a little too large.. Right now I'm considering a Peak El Capitan on 14500s or Logan on 17500s, but the QTC seems finicky and difficult to control. Anyone have any input on this?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over sized image removed.

Olight i2 EOS

tiny light. smaller than my middle finger. strong clip.

no sublumen but its 2 lumen low is good enough and is actually more practical than sub lumen.

max around 250 lumens on a 14500. stop complaining about 14500s, they're great, convenient, easy to use cells. easy to top up

and the great thing about this olight is that low and med are the same even when using 14500

Last edited by a moderator:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. Thing is most high output AAs are exactly the same diameter as their CR123 counterparts, and I don't understand why it has to be like that. Is it due to heat dissipation? Eagletac's 20mm D25C2 seems to handle 741 emitter lumens fine. Or does it have to do with cutting cost by sharing components..

Yeah, I'd vote cost savings by sharing components. The lego-ability of 4/7s lights can be a huge advantage. Also think it has to do with head size for a better mix of flood and throw - the XML is the recent emitter with all the power.... it's huge.

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened
the great thing about this olight is that low and med are the same even when using 14500

Is that so? :) That's very interesting. I noticed the Quark Mini AA is able to do this too. Sadly the 2.5-3 lumen low is a little too high. I want to use this light at night quite often, and even with the 1.5 emitter lumens on my AAA now I find myself having to squint at times. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be on the lookout for more 14500 lights.

Right now I guess I'll just stick with tgwnn's MBI torpedo when it gets released, it really satisfies all my criteria besides runtime. I just have to be a little more hardworking on the battery changes.