EDC Pen?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I still carry a Pilot Precise V5 RT the most. It was excellent for log books and does every other thing I need a pen for pretty darn good.

And when this one quits I have another standing by!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying an UZI pen and I kind of like it. I removed the DNA Catcher and now it has the form factor I was looking for. It takes standard Fisher refills though I haven't dropped one in yet.

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
The MaxmadCo stainless retractable pen is only pen I now use, and I've tried plenty It is a bargain at $85.00. The mechanism is faultless and has never given me any grief and this pen is with me from the moment I wake.

Go take a look here http://maxmadco.com/products/retractable-pen/

Thanks

SQ

3aa3afbb-bcd4-0594.jpg

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will this pen work with a space pen refill?
Also, is the lack of knurling a problem when your hands are cold or wet?

--flatline

The MaxmadCo stainless retractable pen is only pen I now use, and I've tried plenty It is a bargain at $85.00. The mechanism is faultless and has never given me any grief and this pen is with me from the moment I wake.

Go take a look here http://maxmadco.com/products/retractable-pen/

Thanks

SQ

3aa3afbb-bcd4-0594.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lately, it's been my Zebra F-701 model.

Honestly, not as robust as it looks on the outside. But very capable as a full-size EDC pen. Technically, the pen insert in my Victorinox Compact SAK is my back-up pen.

Imon

Enlightened
I guess the "ink booger" problem of the Space Pen has been solved. I've been rotating 2 different Fisher Space Pens as EDC pens for about a year and a half and both have worked great without the "ink booger" problem.
It would be sad if they didn't fix the problem though considering those complaints are six years old.

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Will this pen work with a space pen refill?
Also, is the lack of knurling a problem when your hands are cold or wet?

--flatline

I have used both the 'Parker' and 'Mont Blanc' style refills with great success. I have a Fisher Bullet here somewhere, when I find it (in the middle of moving) I will let you know.

Regards

z17813

Newly Enlightened
SQ

That wasn't one I had seen before, I've been on a bit of a pen spree lately, might pick one of these up as well.

Wrend

Enlightened
For practicality, quality, and looking good without being pretentious, the Parker Jotter ball-point with all stainless steel body is my EDC pen of choice.

It's smaller sized than some pens, which I find comfortable.

I use one on a regular basis, and have an extra I keep at home as backup in case the one I use goes MIA even though I keep a close eye on it. If I do happen to lose it, it isn't that big of a deal since they're reasonably priced.

I wouldn't recommend it as a calligraphy pen, but as a general use EDC type pen, it's the one I like the most.

The two I have were made in the UK.

Parker_Jotter_Stainless_Steel.jpg

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
That wasn't one I had seen before, I've been on a bit of a pen spree lately, might pick one of these up as well.

I thought I was done with my pen spree, but I gotta admit I'm curious about this MaxmadCo.

Is there any rattle from the retractable mechanism either engaged or disengaged?
Any wobble at the tip?
Does the lack of knurling make it slippery at all?

--flatline

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
I thought I was done with my pen spree, but I gotta admit I'm curious about this MaxmadCo.

Is there any rattle from the retractable mechanism either engaged or disengaged?
Any wobble at the tip?
Does the lack of knurling make it slippery at all?

--flatline

No rattle on mine, no wobble either, in fact the hole where the refill exits is so precise that if the refill is too thick it won't fit.

It's my understanding that this pen was built to be bulletproof and a weapon if needed, it is therefore a heavy pen, which I'm very happy about, If your more accustomed to a plastic pen then you will find this one very heavy. (its the first comment I get everytime)

The pen is very smooth stainless steel so I guess if you had oily/wet hands it would be slippery.

The mech is quite addictive to play with, I would have expected it to fail long ago with the amount of actuations I've given it.

Regards

SQ

Edit: I forgot to mention the pocket clip, it's never come loose, rattled or shown any sign of weakness. I clip it to my pants pocket everyday. :)

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the maxmadco pen in the mail earlier this week.

I never thought I'd be happy to spend $85 for a pen, but this is one sweet pen. It's heavier than I was expecting, heavier even than my aluminum embassy pen with the cap on. It works great with a space pen refill, but the weight and lack of knurling makes it easy to drop if you writing against a wall or upside down. I'll still use it with a space pen refill because I love how they write, but if you're someone who lies in bed doing puzzles or something, this is probably not the pen you want to use for that.

After just two days of playing with the pen at work, one of my co-workers has decided to get one for himself and another is on the fence about it. Seriously, this pen is the HDS of pens in that once you get your hands on it, the price doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore. It's that good.

--flatline

jruser

Newly Enlightened
I used to EDC a the fisher bullet space pen, but when it ran out of ink, I decided to go for this Fisher Millenium II: http://web.archive.org/web/20110105032417/http://www.spacepen.com/blacktitaniummillenniumii.aspx

It is non-refillable, but it has a lifetime guarantee. If I manage to run it out of the 30 miles of ink, they will send me a new one. The positive for me is that the clip is not permanent. At first, I used it without the clip and carried it loose in my pocket. Lately, I have put the clip back on and moved the clip to the very end of the pen to allow for deep carry. Moving the clip to the end does make it where the cap cannot store on the end while using it though. There are a couple of negatives though. First is that storing the cap on the end while using it scratches the end of the pen. Second is that it is bold tip instead of fine tip. While these two were bigger draw backs at first, I have gotten used to it and really wouldn't trade it for anything.

I have lately thought about getting that 4sevens titanium pen, but I really can't bring myself to give up my lifetime supply of ink.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have been toting the Pilot Precise V5 RT pen because it writes first time EVERY time with out skipping or blobbing.
It makes a SUPER logbooking pen and I use it for everything.

The only drawback is that they go through ink in about a month the way I use them.

Thankfully they are avaiable at Wal-Mart including refills.

cprrckwlf

Newly Enlightened
Hinderer Investigator (in Copper for me, but also available in Ti, Stainless, Brass or Al). It's beautifully machined, wonderfully weighted (varies by material, of course), uses a fisher cartridge (ships with a Bold, I think, I swap everything for Fine) and has a cap so it won't accidentally deploy and ink my pocket like my Fisher Shuttle edition keeps doing. It's 4.25" closed, but open and with the cap on the back it comes in right at 4.5" (an open fisher bullet is 5.25" by comparison).

Just go ahead and order the flat end with it. Personally, I think it looks better, but the pen is a little short (IMHO) to really be used tactically and I want to be able to fly with it without thinking.

I also love my county comm embassy (this one god awfully expensive in copper), but it weighs in at just over 1/4 lbs (4.23 oz) with cap so I can't quite bring myself to EDC it.

yliu

Enlightened
A metal Parker Jotter with gel refills. Not a tactical pen, but it had served me well and is reliable.

tattoo6.0

Newly Enlightened
I got a Kunai pen from a guy on craigslist for $30. I absolutely love this pen, it is a monster! I work retail counter sales and write 60 to 70 invoices a day with mine. Every time a customer asks to borrow it they grab it and immediately say how heavy it is. If you never seen one look it up on youtube there are some pretty good videos on it.

kizuf

Newly Enlightened
Matthew Martin tactical pen (titanium + carbon fiber). I got it quite recently and I EDC it ever since. Awesome piece made by a talented young man, 17 years old I believe.

xIMG_5345.jpg