EDC single AAA clicky and clip

radu1976

Enlightened
Take a look at an n-Light B3 as well. I love mine!

+1 here !
I have a 2-mode neutral one whose tint is very nice - smooth beam from the XP-G R4 emitter also - but that wasn't enough . As I came across a good deal on CPFM , I am to receive another 2 : 3-mode neutral + 2-mode cool white .
It's great , very compact but heavy , heavier than a MICROSTREAM which is longer .
Runtime is good with Lithiums AAAs , just did a runtime today and I got 2hrs+ ... not sure about the regulation .
Don't expect good throw - they match the MARATAC AA / ITP A2 / QUARK mini AA on MEDIUM - , that's about 200-250 lux /1m but the beam is smooth and the hotspot bigger .

This is a gentleman light, that's my feeling .
I have also been impressed with its clickie - looks like a futuristic one , very silent , hopefully reliable but not easy to press , it's more likely fitted to baby fingers :) -
I definetely recommend the 2-mode neutral version ! About the 3-mode one I heard that the MED is very close to the HIGH.

My 2-mode B3 doesn't have mode memory , it always starts on low ... btw which is a VERY LOW LOW ! Maybe 1 lumen - MARATAC AA / mini AA LOW is maybe twice as bright .

Last edited:

NickBose

Enlightened
I agree that the N-light B3 is really nice, escpecially the neutral tint availability. The only thing I don't like is its weight. I want something as light as possible.

I have a question for those with Preon 1 + clicky: how do you change modes? Can you change by half-pressing the clicky just like you do with Preon 2, or the clicky is just for turning on and mode change is by twisting the head?

trickyvic

Newly Enlightened
I have a question for those with Preon 1 + clicky: how do you change modes? Can you change by half-pressing the clicky just like you do with Preon 2, or the clicky is just for turning on and mode change is by twisting the head?

The clicky controls everything just like a Preon 2.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
I agree that the N-light B3 is really nice, escpecially the neutral tint availability. The only thing I don't like is its weight. I want something as light as possible.

Yes, you change modes with half presses on the clicky. It is actually the same clicky switch that they use on the Preon 2 (bought as an accessory).

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there!

I really like the clicky. It seems to be more of a "soft touch" electronic switch than a mechanical-type clicky. It's a nice design.

I notice the web site for the company that sells this light as well as their CPF MarketPlace page describe it as having an "inching switch". What the heck is an inching switch? I was thinking they mean ramping switch but the light is described as having distinct modes. These look like really sweet lights for the price. The neutral seems especially appealing.

radu1976

Enlightened
There's no half pressing for that very small clickie , it's a FULL PRESS ; a half press like for a rubber boot can't be done as the click is small and made of metal .
It's true that the travel is very very short - probably that's why some people mentioned 'half clickie' -
But for my 2-modes sample , to get the HIGH mode you'd have to press twice very quickly the clickie , if you wait 1.5-2 sec , it will turn OFF instead of being switch from LOW to HIGH .
But it might be different from others ; as I mentioned mine doesn't have memory comparative to other B3S AAAs .

radu1976

Enlightened

Indeed the B2S is heavy for its size : 36 grams , so almost twice as a MARATAC AA - 20 gr - and more than twice than a QUARK mini AA - 17 gr - ; and those are a bit longer and fatter also . But I bet it's more crush resistant although I doubt someone will really need that .

Here's besides a FENIX E01, STR. MICROSTREAM and KD BUCKLE V6 AAA and MICROSTREAM, mini QUARK AA and MARATAC AA in the second pic :

NickBose

Enlightened
Which is more reliable and durable - the n-light inching switch or the preon clicky switch?
(I like Zebralight here. They have very clear technical details, for example its current soft switch is rated at 200,000 cycles while the previous version on older lights was rated up to 1 million cycles! I wish they make an EDC AAA light)

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
I notice the web site for the company that sells this light as well as their CPF MarketPlace page describe it as having an "inching switch". What the heck is an inching switch? I was thinking they mean ramping switch but the light is described as having distinct modes. These look like really sweet lights for the price. The neutral seems especially appealing.

Great question! I have no clue what they mean..... It's not a traditional clicky in that it makes no clicking sound or action. It's not a ramping switch either. The best way I can describe it is a metal touch switch. It takes very little pressure to activate it or change modes.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Which is more reliable and durable - the n-light inching switch or the preon clicky switch?
(I like Zebralight here. They have very clear technical details, for example its current soft switch is rated at 200,000 cycles while the previous version on older lights was rated up to 1 million cycles! I wish they make an EDC AAA light)

I bet no one will know yet. The n-Lights don't seem to have been around that long, so I bet there isn't much of a track record.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great question! I have no clue what they mean..... It's not a traditional clicky in that it makes no clicking sound or action. It's not a ramping switch either. The best way I can describe it is a metal touch switch. It takes very little pressure to activate it or change modes.

Thanks for your description of how the switch functions; it's helpful. I guess inching switch is one of those "Lost in Translation" things.

NickBose

Enlightened

Do you have a nitecore (D10 for example) which uses a "piston drive" sort of switch? Does it feel the same?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Leatherman Serac S2 has a clicky, clip and uses 1XAAA but Fenix doesn't make these anymore. Still I bet they can be found online.

Last edited:

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a nitecore (D10 for example) which uses a "piston drive" sort of switch? Does it feel the same?

I sure don't (I wish I did)! As soon as they come out with a decent clip for the D11.2, I'll snatch it up.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your description of how the switch functions; it's helpful. I guess inching switch is one of those "Lost in Translation" things.

You're sure welcome! I think you're absolutely right about the translation. At least I could give you a better description of how it functions. When I first bought mine, I had no idea what "inching switch" meant either.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about this thread and you know, another interesting option for a single AAA clicky with a clip would be the Tank007 TK-703 with a homebrew clip.

This is a terrific light for the money. It will happily run on a 10440 and on this battery is an AMAZING thrower for a light like this. I can actually see things almost 100 yards away with this light. I mean, it's not like you're hitting objects with a powerful bigger torch but trees in the pitch black are clearly visible at that distance with this little sucker. The beam spot is pure white and very smooth.

The full body knurling is really nice and it has HA III anodizing. With a protected 10440 there is a small gap between the tailcap and the body but a small o-ring works great and makes a terrific cigar grip (well, maybe more like a cigarette) for operating the tail clicky with your thumb. I used a clip from an old 2 AAA MiniMag that fits perfectly but similar clips are often found on old ball point pens.

For around 11 bucks delivered this light is cheap enough to buy just for kicks. That's what I did and to my surprise it became a well used favorite. I'm really shopping around for a higher end AAA but this has been great in the meantime. If you like clickys on a single AAA this is hard to beat. (sku 26988 DX)

tank0072.jpg

tank3.jpg

Last edited:

speedsix

Enlightened
Rated at and what you actually get are not the same. I had a Zebralite H51 that didn't last a week. IMHO, ZL and Going Gear that sells them are highly overrated on this forum.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
@speedsix:

This is the second 6 month+ old thread you have awakened for the sole purpose of bashing Zebralight and Going Gear and it's not even relevant to the thread. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but this is not the appropriate place or method for you to express your frustrations.

blue dog

Newly Enlightened
old thread , but o well, single AAA with clicky, no one has mentioned the new pelican 1910. This has taken place of my microstream