EDC/Tactical Carry: Preferred Cycle Mode?

prisoner006

Newly Enlightened
For your carry, do you prefer to cycle up from lower power to higher? Or start at high?

What is your reasoning?

Personally I go back and forth on this. For example, I really like my ProTac 1L-1AA. But...I can't finalize on which program. I argue that in a defensive role I want it to start High. But I will use it more in Low. And I do not like the Strobe, generally.So my first preference (for this light) would be High->Low, which isn't an option. I can go High->Strobe->Low, and deal with the Strobe, or go Low->High and speed through to High when necessary.

I do realize this is a very first world problem.

What do you prefer?

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough question. My EDC and tactical (tacticool) carries are different.

EDC I like moonmode first then cycle up.
Tactical, the brightest at startup.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

CSG

Newly Enlightened
Tactical = high first
EDC = low first

Carry a concealed weapon? Then you go tactical mode, always.

grinsefalle

Enlightened
I have a quite strict separation between duty lights and EDC lights.
My duty lights have to start at 100% every time, no mode memory. Main user right now is the Klarus 360x1, other options are Surefire 6P (twisty) with Malkoff dropin or Elzetta (hi/lo). I will try out the Eagtac UI soon, maybe the Nextorch UI. In all these cases, priority is on the high mode (control the situation).
As EDC, I like mode memory or the option to start in low mode. Olight, HDS, Fenix and similar lights. Starting in low, because I dont't want to ruin my night vision or disturb other people.

LedTed

Enlightened
I EDC a flashlight for personal and work use. I use low to high for both personal and inspection purposes.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I start with last mode memory somewhere around the middle, and then I can go up or down from there depending on the circumstances of the situation.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
My EDC has mode memory but I generally prefer starting on low. My tactical light is the Olight Warrior X Pro, and honestly, I think the UI is perfect. I can immediately access low or high depending on the situation, and high is the most intuitive if I need full power fast and without thinking.

The "gas pedal" would be my ideal UI for all lights. Half press to start on low and cycle any other modes, full press direct to turbo.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to keep a Hi-only flashlight, but the StreamLight Lo->Hi setting (using 10-tap programming) is so easy to double-tap to go to Hi (nearly) instantly that that's how I carry now.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
EDC: I prefer low to start, but I have memory on mine as well, so normally 1 up from moonlight/firefly mode is it`s starting point.
Tactical/Weapon light: Always highest power and no modes at all, just On/Off (no room for error this way).

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC with the 1L-1AA, I used the low high for a while, but found that I preferred high only. Running a AA high-cap Fujiloop gives lower lumens and longer run time than CR123's, sort of a medium mode which is fine for EDC.

For tactical with this light it's high only also, but running on a CR123 for more output.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'll take the highest setting on both uses. And yes, during my night shift job, I need an actual tactical light. Honestly, my EDC main light is actually my tactical light.

FDP

Newly Enlightened
I prefer L-M-H for EDC. That is how I use it anyway most of the time.

For real response/tactical applications I take something with only one mode.

Havok

Newly Enlightened
Around the house: low, or medium is fine in reasonable ambient light. But, at night / Tac situation, always the highest.

Whenever I go out.. even if it's still daylight I set my light to turbo, because I never know what situation might come up. I'd rather blast their retinas than lose time / control of the situation by fiddling with the settings.