Elzetta Bones flashlight - Elzetta first 18650 light

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a reliable flashlight for critical use. No chance of messing around in the wrong mode and likely to weather the storm. Much respect, and any complaints about what it is not... well, they might understand one day.

Does the Elzetta clip fit this piece? Just thinking some folks may want something there for a little better grip in cigar carry.

The Alpha's body/head design made me wonder if they'd do the same for the Bravo.

+1 to this. I suppose no matter what they make there will always be a yahoo like me that wants something else.:devil: But I really wish they made a liight with the same smaller head/body design of the Alpha but on a two cell tube. Basically a longer Alpha. To me that would be an incredible EDC light.

Still there's a lot of like about the Bones. I don't care for the appearance, I'm afraid. To me the "bones" logo looks cheap 'n' cheesy, out of place on a light of that caliber. Aesthetically it's not contoured as nicely as the Bravo either IMO. It looks like a good value but with just a CLICKIE tailcap it's not a slam dunk compared to just getting the cheapest Bravo AVS. Still, $50 is $50. If you're on a tight budget but need a serious no BS light it's a good option. To be honest even though my AVS-equipped Bravo and Charlie lights both have HI/LOW tailcaps I use the highest setting most of the time anyway. Presumably the guts/engine of the Bones is the same as the AVS so you get the same output and beam pattern I would imagine. I see at the web site they're also throwing in an Elzetta T-shirt for free through the end of the month. Realistically I don't need one but I'm tempted...

I think the Bones would be a fantastic WML for a carbine or rifle!:cool:

Looks exciting, everything the P2X isn't, I wonder if you can still swap tailcaps?

Hard to say. Being bored for an 18650 might mean the other caps won't work.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the size is acceptable, it would make a great weapon light. I've considered mounting a Bravo with AVS, but never did it since it's an outstanding handheld light. The lack of modularity, aggressive body texture and high/low or high/strobe tailcap wouldn't be nearly as important in this role.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Ordered one. The free bones t-shirt hooked me.
That T-shirt is a nice touch indeed, but won't buy one just because I get a shirt with it. Like that Elzetta finally allows 18650 in one of their lights, but the lack of
mode options keep me away. And the looks.. well.. it's not for me. Like the Bravo way more. Plus, just ordered an Alpha at BSW, so already have a new Elzetta in coming :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Will be interest to see if they've done anything to prevent battery rattle when running on CR123s.

I have canisters for that. Olight sells them. Or they used to. A quick change magazine in my Malkoffs. Pre-loaded cylinders that act as a stabilizer in oversize tubes.

To me the Bones is a refreshing idea. A throwback to the good ole days when an S&R light meant at least 7D cells and a shoulder strap.

Sometimes ya just need a light to turn on and off.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
. A throwback to the good ole days when an S&R light meant at least 7D cells and a shoulder strap.

Sometimes ya just need a light to turn on and off.
Damn that's a great light. I want one of those! Thanks for that picture.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Damn that's a great light. I want one of those! Thanks for that picture.

It's a pretty rare Dog Supply House 6D with an even more rare black Hi-Bred 1 cell extension. Mint condition.
I paid more for shipping than the light costed.

But 19" Rayovac Sportsman can be found all day long on eBay. Some with the factory clips and shoulder strap.

Soon I won't need a wheel burrow to carry around extra batteries for that Dog Supply light. Nope when the Bones arrives I'll have a nice, simple S&R light that'll fit in my left jacket pocket to compliment the 2 setting PK FL2 in my right jacket pocket.

Last edited:

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Blah!! Only one brightness setting and the low budget "Natural Parkerizing" To claim that 18650 batteries are somewhat unreliable. Come on guys. This is 2016-17. The world has been using 18650 rechargeable batteries for over 20 years. They are currently being used to power cars operating anywhere from hot desert conditions down to freezing cold weather in northern Canada. Prove to me that the Panasonic 18650 NCR technology is either new or unreliable.

Last edited:

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Wonder how many Spec Ops or entry teams in the world are using 650 lumen lights. There are literally hundreds of photographs of tactical teams from all over the world on the internet. Not many 650 lumen Elzettas. What does your local swat team use?

Last edited:

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Blah!! Only one brightness setting and the low budget "Natural Parkerizing" To claim that 18650 batteries are somewhat unreliable. Come on guys. This is 2016-17. The world has been using 18650 rechargeable batteries for over 20 years. They are currently being used to power cars operating anywhere from hot desert conditions down to freezing cold weather in northern Canada. Prove to me that the Panasonic 18650 NCR technology is either new or unreliable.

While I agree that for home use 18650's are about as reliable as you need, in emergencies (something very unlikely to happen to most of us) the extra margin that cr123's offer may be useful.
Plus, I think many users, not knowing better, may buy crapfire 18650's, which definitly let you down at the crucial moment.

I do think that the harping on about American made, especially concerning electronics, is a bit unnecesary (did I spell that right?). Electronic components from Japan or Korea can be just as good if not better than US products. Patriotism is one thing, but implying all the rest is crap is a bit out of order.
The most important thing about being American made is that they controll the whole production and can keep things to their own consistent standards.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no question Elzetta makes tough and reliable lights...

But to my eyes, they just look so cheap and outdated.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
American assembled yes, but how many of the electronic components are actually made in the US? You made be surprised. For example, all of Cree LED's are made in China. If you don't believe it, read their Annual report.

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Well the light looks great. If I didn't have so many Malkoff MD2 lights already I might consider it. Like many on this board, I'm willing to pay more for quality American made products and this looks like a well made product (I have no first hand experience). The advertising video, however, needs to be rethought (IMO). An acrylic optic is a choice, not a clear advantage. Heck, some day Elzetta might find a reason to produce a reflector-based light. And the bit about 18650s seems motivated more about the lack of US sourced 18650 batteries. Will his pitch change if someone opens a US-based factory (and if so, why)? Also what if (God forbid) the US factories for CR123 batteries close? What then? Perhaps he could say something like "CR123a batteries will maintain a more consistent light output throughout their usable life which could be a factor in life or death situations". (My experience with Malkoff dropins is that with a single LiIon cell, they fall out of regulation about 2/3 of the way through the usable life of the cell). BTW, these lights use a modern version of the older M60 dropin, yes? Or did I miss something there?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wonder how many Spec Ops or entry teams in the world are using 650 lumen lights. There are literally hundreds of photographs of tactical teams from all over the world on the internet. Not many 650 lumen Elzettas. What does your local swat team use?

The light just came out last week dude. Of course not many people use it yet.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
The light just came out last week dude. Of course not many people use it yet.

Question was how many Elzettas do you see the Navy Seals, LA Swat, your local police force, US border patrol, the British SAS and etc. using?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Easy, gents... While Elzetta's advertising video reminds me of the older Cold Steel stuff Lynn Thompson did, they have every right to tout their product's virtues as they see fit. Doesn't mean you have to agree, or buy them. The undeniable fact is that they make very rugged, hard use lights in the U.S. And should be applauded, in my opinion, for bringing a lower price light to market without compromising their standards. They are a small company, whose products may not have the market saturation that older, more established makes do, but that does not speak to their quality or value.