Elzetta Bones flashlight - Elzetta first 18650 light

scout24

Flashaholic
Just point-counterpoint, Lumencrazy. They do have a 78 page thread here, filled with happy customers, and some constructive criticism. I just gave them a bit of a hard time about their video. And my post was addressed "Gents", let's all get along... Just trying to head things off at the pass, not cause hurt hindquarters...
:grouphug:

ven

Flashaholic
I like it, like the idea of single mode , no faffing/clicking through mode kind of stuff. Heck it wears thin with me, only thing i come into contact in the household jungle are battery operated minions...........even those kick my a55 and trip me over. Not sure on the BONES bit, guess a love/hate thing although no one could really call you for being a cheap skate budget buyer at $150 a pop! Its a little different, yeh i kind of like it ............

650lm OTF is plenty of useful light and some..........If i was looking to buy from an LEO or security point of view, i dont know if saving $50 or so would sway me . Thats if i had to pick of course, ideally both as a back up is important like the one in use:D

Look forward to pics and impressions mr fixer:cool: still drooling over the cu elzetta you have:D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I try real hard not to stray into the weeds regarding tints, interfaces and opinions. Yet sometimes that little voice over my left shoulder says "say it, I dare you... I double dare you!"... this morning that little voice was shouting before I'd had my first sip of coffee.

I appologize for any part I played in making this a less than friendly discussion.

I'm not a cop, soldier, first responder or any of the sort. I'm a cop light collector who enjoys them going back to the early 1900's. I see flashlights as tools.... tools that have to get the job done NOW. So the combination of those results in a heavily biased sense of direction.
I understand what goes into the designs of tactical lighting from being able to enter the mindset of a tactical user. It comes from personal experience along with discussions with firemen, police, rescue folks, hunters, and soldiers. Not that I am a full fledged expert but I do understand what goes into the thinking of numerous tactical products including flashlights.

I ended up being honored to be able to sell flashlights made by a famous weapon light maker yet find myself in discussions about other makers. Simply put, I am not predjudice to 1 brand but appreciate other brands that have the same goals in mind. I'll defend Elzetta, Malkoff, Streamlight, and others as well as my "favorite" brand PKDL.

In my view the Bones is a home run. I'll leave it at that.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for fun: can you identify that mounted light? (This is Lithuanian S.W.A.T.)

aras-pratybose-estijoje-72133082.jpg

Kamerat

Enlightened
I'm trying to understand Bones. It's the same as a à bored Bravo AVS light. Exactly the same lumens, lux etc. Don't really see what's new. Will try to understand.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head isn't a separate component, like the Alpha. Machining on the body is more basic, for less cost.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So away with the modularity,but same functionality as the Bravo if you are going to opt for single mode tailcap(on the Bravo)anyway, for less cost in both acquisition and operating cost if using an 18650.
A bare 18650GA would probably be best for ultimate reliability and runtime if using a rechargeable.

dog off leash

Newly Enlightened
I love the concept, and that Elzetta has finally jumped on the 18650 trend. I asked them about 6 months ago if they ever had plans to release an 18650-capable light, and the answer was a powerful NO.

The lumens output is unfortunately on the low end of things, especially when I've got Fenix (Fenixes? Fenixi?) and other brands that pump out 900-1200 lumens with good run times out of an 18650.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious to see if they will use a different driver than the AVS head. The AVS works with a single Li-Ion (I use a bored one exclusively with an 18650), but it doesn't quite generate 650 lumens, and it's only regulated for about 40 minutes before starting a slow, multiple-hour decline in output. Their spec of 1.5 hours from two primaries matches 880arm's runtime chart of the Bravo AVS down to 20 percent of full output.

Since Elzetta prefers the use of primary cells, it's likely the Bones is optimized for their use, just like the AVS. It'll likely work with a single Li-Ion, but not in the same as as from primaries.

The benefit of the Bravo, and likely Bones, "only" generating 650 lumens is that it will generate all those 650 lumens for over an hour without the risk of damaging itself or your hand from excessive heat.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the concept, and that Elzetta has finally jumped on the 18650 trend. I asked them about 6 months ago if they ever had plans to release an 18650-capable light, and the answer was a powerful NO.

The lumens output is unfortunately on the low end of things, especially when I've got Fenix (Fenixes? Fenixi?) and other brands that pump out 900-1200 lumens with good run times out of an 18650.

I asked Elzetta about an 18650 light more than 2 years ago and it was a polite no.

As far as your Fenix and other brands said to "pump out 900-1200 lumens with good run times out of an 18650", show us by comparing runtime graphs with the same methodology. Likely those lumen numbers will only be there for less than a minute, if that (and not really coming Out The Front). Then it will be down to near what Elzetta claims and dimmer.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Looks decent... I would black out the logo if I ever got one.

Today is the last day to get a free t-shirt with purchase!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

More often than not, that's 900-1200 lumens for maybe 30s to a few mins at most then a huge plunge.