Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I missing something? :thinking: Why not simply use 16340s/16650s? They've became really good recently. E.g. Keeppower.
That's my plan when I finally decide to get Charlie with AVS head.
I consider Malkoff offering 16650-based lights a highest approval for these cells.

Simple. 700mAH (16340) vs. 3400 mAH (18650).

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I missing something? :thinking: Why not simply use 16340s/16650s? They've became really good recently. E.g. Keeppower.

The capacity of 18650s continues to increase at a faster rate than of any other cell size. 18650s are available at 3400-3500 mAh in both protected and unprotected varieties. AW's 3000 mAh IMR 18650 is also a valid option if a high capacity unprotected IMR cell is desired.

elzetta56

Newly Enlightened
i added to my elzetta collection....i bought the 3 cell (charlie) with malkoff M60 , crenellated, hi/lo

the long runtime at 235 lumens intrigues me curious how the tint will compare to the avs

it was on sale for 151$ shipped...normally 210$

elzetta56

Newly Enlightened
^^ SCOOOOOOORRRR

Enjoy

Im actually thinking i might use the 235 lumens more at night on my property vs the 30 lumen low setting on avs head

I know we all get wrapped up in wanting the brightest light but how often do yall use the 900 lumens?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I rarely use high settings after the initial getting familiar scenario.

Actually I prefer a couple hundred lumens at most.
But it is fun to turn on a warehouse lighter to show off sometimes.

Now I did learn programing a high lumen ten tap light over a glass table is a bad idea. By the time I got to program 3 (lo/hi) I was see-ing stars. lol

elzetta56

Newly Enlightened
Who wished elzetta wpuld offer a low/medium/high avs option or a medium/high?

Thinking medium would be 100 lumens or thereabouts

Who is with me

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elzetta is not designed for a multi level output. It is a tactical light. On or off. There are numerous choices for multi level outputs.
You have to keep the design and intent of the light in mind.

So I guess I would not be in favor of a multi level Elzetta. The Hi-low tailcap is perfect for me.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Alpha high/low tail cap on a Bravo or Charlie with AVS head gives a higher output on low. When driven by two CR123s, it is approximately 180 lumens. From a single Li-Ion, the output is about 100 lumens, with high being approximately 500 lumens.

If Elzetta could do a three mode that utilizes the current spring loaded pin system, and have it be absolutely reliable, then I'd be willing to try it out. If it compromises reliability in any way, then I'm not interested. If the output is selected via the single switch, I'm not interested.

Welfare

Newly Enlightened
Not for me thanks. The hi/low tail cap settings are perfect for me... A tail stand option would be good though? I know it doesn't fit with tactical set up of the light but I use mine for utility purposes nearly all the time.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Near-tragedy this morning. As per habit I slipped my Alpha into my pocket this morning. We went for a walk on the beach, and as I was chasing a crab in the small waves it slipped out of my pocket.

Luckily my brother saw it and told me something fell.

When the sea retreated again I saw it rolling in the sand, and managed to grab it just before the next wave got to it again.

Rinsed it off and it is working perfectly (to be honest I didn't expect anything else), but I am VERY glad my brother saw it happen, otherwise I would have lost it today.

Near-tragedy this morning. As per habit I slipped my Alpha into my pocket this morning. We went for a walk on the beach, and as I was chasing a crab in the small waves it slipped out of my pocket.

Luckily my brother saw it and told me something fell.

When the sea retreated again I saw it rolling in the sand, and managed to grab it just before the next wave got to it again.

Rinsed it off and it is working perfectly (to be honest I didn't expect anything else), but I am VERY glad my brother saw it happen, otherwise I would have lost it today.

Ah, the paradox of owning nice stuff! You buy it because it's a great light but you're afraid of losing it so you get a cheap one to carry.:ohgeez: Not saying you do this, just that it's the temptation. I know I used to be afraid of losing my pricey Surefire E1b so I got a JETBeam BC10 for EDC. But what's the point of having two E1b's if they just sit at home?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I fully get what you mean. I'm not hard on my gear. Mainly because I don't put it to hard use as I'm afraid it will wear.

elzetta56

Newly Enlightened
If Elzetta could do a three mode that utilizes the current spring loaded pin system, and have it be absolutely reliable, then I'd be willing to try it out. If it compromises reliability in any way, then I'm not interested. If the output is selected via the single switch, I'm not interested.
thats exactly how i feel

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, the paradox of owning nice stuff! You buy it because it's a great light but you're afraid of losing it so you get a cheap one to carry.:ohgeez: Not saying you do this, just that it's the temptation. I know I used to be afraid of losing my pricey Surefire E1b so I got a JETBeam BC10 for EDC. But what's the point of having two E1b's if they just sit at home?

You know the solution to this problem, don't you?

You buy a super-expensive McGizmo.

Then, your Elzetta (or SF E1, or whatever) will become the "cheap" daily-carry flashlight for you, and the McGizmo will take over as the house shelf-Queen!!

elzetta56

Newly Enlightened
Comparing charlie AVS head vs charlie Malkoff head

Avs throws a larger diameter beam of light, it has a larger head
I also like the AVS better on low, and its obviously brighter than the m60 on both low and high

However i do like the malkoff on high at 235 lumens as its bright but not ridiculously so, and with 3 primaries, it has a longer run time, i find myself using the m60 on high outside the house at night quite a bit, the avs on high is a very very bright light that i dont need most of the time...dont get me wrong its nice to light up a huge area but i just dont use it much

Its also a whiter light than avs, no preference either way

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how many lights are produced on a special edition run? Like the latest yellow Alpha run, or the grey Bravo Stealth run?
I would like to some SE Camo runs.