Emisar D3AA, custom Triple w new AA/14500 driver w NoPWM

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The efficiency high/low end discussion here reminds me of when HDS systems came out with a new driver that prioritized efficiency at high outputs (those B85 days :) ). The older drivers had something like 4x the runtime at the lowest setting compared to the same output with the new driver (although the new drivers were no slouch, my old edc140n ran for well over 400hrs on a primary 123 cell when I decided to test it).

I'm sure its been tried, but perhaps two separate drive circuits could be arranged, one optimized and switched over to at low drive currents, and the other optimized for higher outputs. Or perhaps a high efficiency driver circuit at low to medium power outputs, with a fet circuit for a single "turbo" unregulated (or maybe temp throttled) mode.

I'll have to pick one of these up. The dual fuel compatibility is increasingly a priority with my purchases. I don't mind great lights that use a li-ion, but being able to grab a AA at any corner store has been handy a few times in the past.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to pick one of these up. The dual fuel compatibility is increasingly a priority with my purchases.
I caution you to wait for inititial reports from the early adopters, instead of jumping in on the first version. Sometimes things come up that benefit from a second revision.

For example, sometimes Aux lights can be set too bright, and create unnecessarily high battery drain.

I agree the AA option has its appeal, for example for a light kept in a car. I think LiIon tend to lose their charge faster during summer heat, than AA Eneloop, or AA Lithium Primaries.

I also like the claim that the light has no flicker on low modes, even at firefly sublumen levels. Though again it may be prudent to wait for confirmation. I like to take the time to wait for some reviews to come out.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
option to turn off the button backlights?
yes

Anduril allows Aux lights to be set to one of 4 levels:

low, high, blink, off.

The RGB Aux also let us choose the color.

I like to keep the Aux set to Low Red, for my nightstand use,

One of the questions Im waiting to learn, is how dim the D3AA Aux are, on low, and how low the lowest mode can go, compared to my Wurkkos TS10. I like very dim Aux and Firefly, for nightstand use. The TS10 Aux use very little battery capacity, on low, and can run for about 6 months. It also has an Ultra Low firefly output capability, similar to an HDS.

Last edited:

the_real_chud

Newly Enlightened
Was the SST20 choice for the extra bit of punch you get over Nichia emitters?
It was. I got the light in 2700 to use as a ceiling bounce light while relaxing before bed. I figured the SST20s would make up a bit for the super warm color if I ever do want to use it out and about and for the normal use won't hurt anything.

Latest posts