Emisar D4

Keitho

Enlightened
Re: Noctigon Meteor D4

Post in BLF said that the (prototype) driver was glued but removeable, and the LED board could be replaced by desoldering the power wires and freeing the board from the thermal paste (no glue). But, I'm pretty sure that wasn't a final production version.

TCY

Enlightened

I'm not sure. Guess I'll find out.

Since this light was designed by flashlight enthusiasts I'm hoping nothing is glued. I also don't recall any mention of glue in the review I read on BLF. I'm hoping the bezel is just screwed in and the driver is press-fit. Hopefully it will be just a simple matter of unscrewing the bezel, removing the reflector, desoldering the stock star, then replacing it with my new star.

I'll post in this thread my results.

I asked Hank Wang and apparently they don't have any 4000K 90CRI 291C to stuff into their D4. Given that I have absolutely zero soldering skill.. looks like I'm stuck with the stock 219C.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

My light has an issue. I have it on the lowest level and magically after about 5-10 seconds it either goes up to an obviously higher level or just straight to high. I even set it down thinking there is some sort of magical function I am activating by holding it. Like the light, but this is not good.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got my black Emisar D4 today.

This was one of Richard's leftover stock from the first one. Fortunately he flashed it with the updated V2 UI before shipping. Mine's S4 2B.

Also purchased at the same time for this light:
* Black 18350 tube
* some of those new ultra-high capacity 1100 mAh 18350 cells
* One of Richard's offset quad boards with high-CRI 4000K Nichia 219C on them.

Though I purchased the 18350 tube to try out, this light is small enough I'll probably just run it on 18650.

Here are my initial impressions:
* Fit and finish - excellent. The black anodizing is flawless and everything is assembled well. Light worked perfectly out of the box. Looks and feels very high quality.

* Size - very nice. Definitely small enough for EDC. Smaller than the Nitecore Concept 1 I've been EDC'ing for the last 3 weeks. It's also considerably smaller than the Astrolux S42 and Manker E14II (with all 3 lights using 18650 tubes. Note that the comparison isn't completely fair: All 3 lights are small quad-emitter setups, but the D4 lacks onboard USB charging present in the other lights. This allows the D4 to save some space.

* "Hand feel" - OK, but could be better. This is the term I use to refer to how secure and comfortable the light feels in my hand. With the stock 18650 tube, the light is nicely sized to fit the hand and the switch and heatsink fins provide a small amount of extra grip. However, the light really needs some kind of knurling on the battery tube to get a higher rating. Smooth battery tubes may look good, but they feel slippery. Even a small amount of knurling in the right places goes a long way and this light has none except for the ribs on the tailcap. Maybe they will sell some 18650 tubes with knurling on them. A knurled tube would increase the "hand feel" rating to excellent.

* Output - Outstanding. This really is a pocket-rocket. Output at max power is tremendous... over 3500 lumens at max turbo going all the way down to a true moonlight mode (NOTE: I consider "moonlight" to be low enough that you can stare into the emitters without hurting your eyes. If it's brighter than that it's "low", but not "moonlight"). After I swap the Nichias into this one I'll buy another and put in XPL HI with 5A2 tint. XPL HI should produce more lumens and more throw than the Nichia.

* UI - EXCELLENT. Truly one of the best UIs out there. Very simple, with shortcuts to moonlight and turbo and smooth fast ramping between. The light remembers the last used mode. This is truly one of the best UIs out there. That said, it could still be improved slightly: Rather than having a single-click go to last used mode, I would prefer it to remember and go to the last ramped mode. As-is, if you use the shortcuts to moonlight or turbo they will override your memorized intermediate mode. It's not a huge issue though since ramping is so smooth and easy in this light. I would probably also add an extra click to all the multi-click shortcuts after the first two. That would free up triple-click to use as another preset mode... maybe have triple-click be 30% power or something like that.

The ramping on this light deserves special mention. It's fast, taking maybe 3-4 seconds to go from moonlight to max turbo. It is also incredibly smooth with no visible steps, and it ramps both directions. I've tried other lights with ramping and this is by far the smoothest. The only other lights I've tried that are as smooth as this are ones with infinitely variable brightness rings.

* Thermal management. As expected, the head of the light does get hot quickly at max turbo. After 10-20 seconds thermal management kicked in an gradually diminished the output. This decline occurred in gradual, but noticeable, steps. The thermal management is fully programmable in the UI, but I found that in the stock configuration it was just right. The head got quite hot, but never dangerously so. This is calibrated just how I like it, so no need to recalibrate.

* Switch - the switch button is relatively small and has ridges making it very comfortable to find and press. It is not recessed. The center of the button projects maybe 1 mm above the head of the light. When I rolled the light upside down on a table and pressed, the light turned on from the pressure of the table. The button is close enough to the head that it is almost, but not quite flush. To me this is not ideal. For hot-rodded side-switch lights I prefer to have the button recessed like on Zebralights, to minimize the chances of accidental activation. A lot of the convenience of a side-switch light is lost if lockout must be used.

I'll have to do more testing to see if I like it as-is or have to use the lockout. Even turning off the light in moonlight mode probably won't help because if it turns on in the pocket it will likely ramp to turbo and stay there.

The light does feature electronic lockout so can be locked or unlocked easily with one-handed operation. However, a better solution may be for the next version of the Emisar to use a taller switch retaining ring that projects above the surface of the head and helps shield the button.

Overall Impression: This is an outstanding light that breaks away from the pack. Truly one of the best I've tried in years. The size, output, UI, weight and choice of emitters make this light much superior to the other small quads on the market from Manker and Astrolight. I'm extremely impressed and will definitely be buying more samples of this light. This is about as close to a perfect pocket EDC that I've come across yet.

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened

Thanks for sharing. I see intl-outdoor has ~120 units available now so @markr6 might as well grab yours now before they are gone! Hope I get my tracking number soon, paid some big bucks for DHL shipping. Can't wait:naughty:

Keitho

Enlightened

Thanks for sharing. I see intl-outdoor has ~120 units available now so @markr6 might as well grab yours now before they are gone! Hope I get my tracking number soon, paid some big bucks for DHL shipping. Can't wait:naughty:
Thanks for the tip, got mine on order! This will be a very tough "12 working days" of waiting!

markr6

Flashaholic

Uhhh, just cost me another $40 :)

But black or gray?? Can't decide. I think gray. In my cart and ready to go, but this is giving me pause:

Rather than having a single-click go to last used mode, I would prefer it to remember and go to the last ramped mode. As-is, if you use the shortcuts to moonlight or turbo they will override your memorized intermediate mode.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Last night I did an emitter swap.

Replaced the XPG2 S42B cool white emitters with Nichia 219C 4000k 90+ CRI. The new emitters came mounted on one of Richard's new copper quad stars that has each emitter rotated at a different angle, which helps produce a more rounded beam pattern. The new star was thinner than the stock star so I built a spacer out of copper sheet to place between the star and shelf (with Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease applied to both sides)

The result:

* Light gets hotter faster. This is not a good thing since it already got hot very fast. Expect max turbo periods to be no longer than 15 seconds or so. This result is not surprising given that Nichia 219C has lower vF and pulls more amps than XPG2. Note that even at full power, the light won't self-destruct as it has a thermal sensor, which I recalibrated to be more sensitive.

* Beam is a wall of light. Lacks the throw of XPL HI, but can reach a respectable distance through sheer output.

* Beam tint and CRI are excellent. Reminds me a lot of the old high-CRI 219B, but much, MUCH, MUCH brighter (approx 3700 lumens out-the-front). By far my brightest High-CRI light.

Last edited:

plata0190

Enlightened

Nice job... now some beamshot wold be appreciated. You go PM :)

Connor

Enlightened

Very nice flashlight, if this is going to be available with 219Cs in R9050 in the future I'm gonna order one right away.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Emisar D4 is now back in stock at Mountain Electronics.

TCY

Enlightened

Just got mine. Definitely a well built light for the price, and definitely heats up fast as advertised. The 219Cs on mine look like 5500K, noticeably cooler than the 4885K 219Bs on my M43, which is alright but I prefer something warmer. If the R9050 4000K flavour becomes available I'll probably sell mine and order one.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got mine. Definitely a well built light for the price, and definitely heats up fast as advertised. The 219Cs on mine look like 5500K, noticeably cooler than the 4885K 219Bs on my M43, which is alright but I prefer something warmer. If the R9050 4000K flavour becomes available I'll probably sell mine and order one.
Got soldering skills? The D4 is easy to mod and Mountain Electronics sells 4000K high-CRI 219Cs.

TCY

Enlightened

Practicality wise I think the ZL SC600 series wins easily. D4's ramping UI does have its oomph but I find the ZL's UI to be more intuitive and straightforward, it would be nice if the D4 has ~2 pre selected modes for fast switching and the ramping to adjust to personal needs. That said, the D4's UI still blows most of the traditional flashlight UIs out of the water. You really can't expect more for $40.

TK has updated the UI on 27/07 which allows a double click while on turbo to go back to the previous mode, and a single click from off goes to the last used level instead of moonlight. A shame mine doesn't come with these, I almost roasted my hand trying to bring the D4 back to non-turbo.

TCY

Enlightened

Got soldering skills? The D4 is easy to mod and Mountain Electronics sells 4000K high-CRI 219Cs.

I have more experiences as an astronaut than a solder pro.

I have no experience as an astronaut. :oops:

Esko

Enlightened

Looks pretty good but I guess I'll wait for the possible future evolutions. I would like to have an option to have (e.g.) 5 or so equally spaced modes to ramp through, instead of the infinite brightness adjustment. I just prefer knowing my energy consumption... Buying this light would also mean that I had to buy unprotected batteries, something that I have managed to avoid so far (even with the Meteor).

I am also wondering the decision to create a new brand(?).

So, this is like a fiery little brother of Meteor. Any news about the big brother that was supposed to be released more than half a year ago? I wonder if the challenges turned out to be too difficult to solve and project got cancelled.

TCY

Enlightened

Looks pretty good but I guess I'll wait for the possible future evolutions. I would like to have an option to have (e.g.) 5 or so equally spaced modes to ramp through, instead of the infinite brightness adjustment. I just prefer knowing my energy consumption... Buying this light would also mean that I had to buy unprotected batteries, something that I have managed to avoid so far (even with the Meteor).

I am also wondering the decision to create a new brand(?).

So, this is like a fiery little brother of Meteor. Any news about the big brother that was supposed to be released more than half a year ago? I wonder if the challenges turned out to be too difficult to solve and project got cancelled.

My thoughts exactly, It would be better if the UI has a couple of hidden pre selected modes to switch between. I wouldn't worry about battery being unprotected as long as the light you stuff it in has its own good protection circuitry. So far ZL and Noctigon/Emisar are doing very well in terms of protecting my NCR18650GAs and Samsung 18650 30Qs.

I heard that Hank Wang Came up with a XPL-HI prototype that does 13,500 lumens but gave up as it's just not much of an improvement over the old M43. I hope he comes up with something really impressive, although the Nichia flavour M43 is more than enough for me. That 219B tint is gosh darn perfect.