Emisar D4

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Noctigon Meteor D4

heard that Hank Wang Came up with a XPL-HI prototype that does 13,500 lumens but gave up as it's just not much of an improvement over the old M43. I hope he comes up with something really impressive, although the Nichia flavour M43 is more than enough for me. That 219B tint is gosh darn perfect.
He could release the same exact light with 4 quad boards and XP-L HI at an increase of $20-30 and call it the M44. The XP-L HI would increase the output as well as the four extra emitters, but I doubt that would be enough for an increase of 6000 lumens over the XP-G2 quadruple triple version like the prototype you speak of.

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened

He could release the same exact light with 4 quad boards and XP-L HI at an increase of $20-30 and call it the M44. The XP-L HI would increase the output as well as the four extra emitters, but I doubt that would be enough for an increase of 6000 lumens over the XP-G2 quadruple triple version like the prototype you speak of.

My guess is that Hank is trying to stay on top of the soda can light game. After the M43 I would definitely not spend the money on a similar light.

cclin

Newly Enlightened

As far as I know, M44 (13500lm) project aborted, in real world usage with the naked eye at ~5000 lumens increase output is insignificant. not worth for the time & money.
M4hi project retains, 8000lm, 1,1000,000 CD, not sure it will change in the future.

Keitho

Enlightened

As far as I know, M44 (13500lm) project aborted, in real world usage with the naked eye at ~5000 lumens increase output is insignificant. not worth for the time & money.
M4hi project retains, 8000lm, 1,1000,000 CD, not sure it will change in the future.
That makes sense--even the Vinh mods on the M43 didn't get a crazy improvement in output, even with his mad skills. The fire breathing pop-can >15,000 lumen lights being released these days are all bigger than the M43 by quite a bit, and are only interesting to me from a technical point of view, but not for my personal uses. I've pretty much decided I'll have to wait a couple or a few generations of LED improvements for an M44 in the same form factor with a meaningful output increase (I'm sure that 275 high-CRI lumens per watt is just around the corner!) In the meantime, I'm (im)patiently waiting for my D4's to arrive on Monday (finally)!

KY Joe

Newly Enlightened

I own an xpg2 5700k version and it is a hot rod. Literally too hot to hold over 25 seconds on turbo (full fet). Toy keeper modified the firmware to have much better thermal controls and it is fully adjustable. The ramping works well, goes from moon to turbo in 2.5 seconds. The xpg2 version is the least hot model. Apparently the nichia version are too hot to hold after 15 seconds. Once thermal regulation kicks in it cools to a manageable level pretty fast. The xpg2 version that I have is 3,300 lumens otf on startup with fully charged LG H2 18650 battery. Apparently the nichia version is around 3800 and xpl hi version is around 4300 It's

KY Joe

Newly Enlightened

Sorry I got excited and accidentally posted before I got finished. I have the V2 firmware and I purchased the light from mountain electronics. It has mode memory now thanks to TK. My favorite part of the V2 firmware is that when the battery has been disconnected and then reconnected the first click will bring you to the brightness level that uses 100% 7135 regulated level and 0% Fet. This allows me the option of greatly increasing the amount of run time due to the higher efficiency. Also when the light is ramping from moon up, the light blinks as it crosses the 100% 7135 level and when it hits full turbo it flashes again. I noticed that mountain has increased the base price to $40 but it is still a fantastic flashlight at a really bargain price. The xpl hi version of the flashlight will cost $18 more due to the increased cost of those emitters. For the price it is absolutely worth it and you will not regret purchasing one, I have 2 and I have two more in the mail headed my way. Richard had gotten an order of D4s in the first of the week and they were all sold in a matter of 2-3 hours. The nichia version was sold out in literally 40 minutes. The xpl hi in an hour and a half. I guess I am not the only one who loves this little beast of a light

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I got excited and accidentally posted before I got finished. I have the V2 firmware and I purchased the light from mountain electronics. It has mode memory now thanks to TK. My favorite part of the V2 firmware is that when the battery has been disconnected and then reconnected the first click will bring you to the brightness level that uses 100% 7135 regulated level and 0% Fet. This allows me the option of greatly increasing the amount of run time due to the higher efficiency. Also when the light is ramping from moon up, the light blinks as it crosses the 100% 7135 level and when it hits full turbo it flashes again. I noticed that mountain has increased the base price to $40 but it is still a fantastic flashlight at a really bargain price. The xpl hi version of the flashlight will cost $18 more due to the increased cost of those emitters. For the price it is absolutely worth it and you will not regret purchasing one, I have 2 and I have two more in the mail headed my way. Richard had gotten an order of D4s in the first of the week and they were all sold in a matter of 2-3 hours. The nichia version was sold out in literally 40 minutes. The xpl hi in an hour and a half. I guess I am not the only one who loves this little beast of a light
Hahah yeah. You're not the only one.

I have a black XPG2 one that I emitter swapped to 5A2 XPL HI. I also replaced the stock star with Richard's offset star where each emitter is rotated differently to produce much more even corona. Had to insert a spacer behind the new star since the stock star was so thick (2mm direct copper). I added Talon Grip tape to the 18650 battery tube for greatly improved grip.

I have 3 more in the mail. A grey from International Outdoors and a grey and green from Mountain Electronics. This is the ultimate pocket hot-rod light and I need more.

Keitho

Enlightened

Hahah yeah. You're not the only one.

This is the ultimate pocket hot-rod light and I need more.

HA! I just had to make a list for myself of all my flashlights just to keep me from buying more than three D4's!

TCY

Enlightened

I asked Hank yesterday and got told that they are not planning to do a stock R9050 4000K 219C version. While the tint on my stock 219C is not exactly cool white it's definitely a lot cooler than the 219Bs on my M43 which is something I don't like. Everything else is basically 10/10 though. Hopefully Vinh can mod one of these for me in the future..:popcorn:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

I asked Hank yesterday and got told that they are not planning to do a stock R9050 4000K 219C version. While the tint on my stock 219C is not exactly cool white it's definitely a lot cooler than the 219Bs on my M43 which is something I don't like. Everything else is basically 10/10 though. Hopefully Vinh can mod one of these for me in the future..:popcorn:

The bezel is not glued. This light is very easy to emitter swap if you want something different.

TCY

Enlightened

The bezel is not glued. This light is very easy to emitter swap if you want something different.

Sadly I have zero soldering skills/experience nor the equipment needed:sigh:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Been a while since I bought a light but this one definitely sounds like a winner. Does the gray body match the meteor? Would be nice if the two were exactly the same

Not sure if you ever got an answer to this or not, but no they're not the same. Both are nice finishes though.

CHQbb0S.jpg

My favorite part of the V2 firmware is that when the battery has been disconnected and then reconnected the first click will bring you to the brightness level that uses 100% 7135 regulated level and 0% Fet. This allows me the option of greatly increasing the amount of run time due to the higher efficiency. Also when the light is ramping from moon up, the light blinks as it crosses the 100% 7135 level and when it hits full turbo it flashes again.

Glad to see this already mentioned, but I want to mention it again because its a genius addition to this sort of driver and UI. Just a quick loosen and tighten of the tailcap (cause anodized threads) and it "resets" the driver to its default state, which has 100% 7135 in memory. So now a single click turns on the light with 100% of the 7135 regulator and the FET completely off. A nice medium light output level, no PWM (not that I can see it on this light anyway - I can't. But it could be important for taking photos or something), very long runtimes and no heat to worry about. Some of you asking for a couple of "preset" options instead of the ramp have this option at least. Really really smart design by Toykeeper.

ven

Flashaholic

My grey 219c is on the way and cant wait, actually excited about this little beast. Soon as i have had it and know i like it, will have an xp-g2 and xpl HI flavour to. Maybe a green and black so i have all the flavours:naughty:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

My grey 219c is on the way and cant wait, actually excited about this little beast. Soon as i have had it and know i like it, will have an xp-g2 and xpl HI flavour to. Maybe a green and black so i have all the flavours:naughty:

Yeah, I did XP-L in green, XP-G in black and 219c in grey. Just easy to keep track of which one is which.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sadly I have zero soldering skills/experience nor the equipment needed:sigh:

It really isn't that hard and the equipment needed isn't to bad either. I suggest learning, it's quite fun and rewarding.

cclin

Newly Enlightened

I agreed above comments! The Feature-rich Driver/UI make D4 really shine. Infinite brightness ramp works better & easier than any Magnetic ring, 100% of the 7135 regulator & Tactical momentary are also very useful. I love the green one:D
zcamera-20170804_162309.jpg

KarstGhost

Enlightened

Just got mine yesterday.

It seems to blink when I go full turbo and drop in output. Like immediately, not after 25 seconds when I thought thermal reg was supposed to kick in.

I think this is preventing it from hitting 3000 L. Running brand new fully charged Efest batteries that I ordered with the light. Anybody else noticed this?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got mine yesterday.

It seems to blink when I go full turbo and drop in output. Like immediately, not after 25 seconds when I thought thermal reg was supposed to kick in.

I think this is preventing it from hitting 3000 L. Running brand new fully charged Efest batteries that I ordered with the light. Anybody else noticed this?

The blink when it hits max is intentional. There's another blink in the ramp when it crosses from 7135-only into FET-powered territory. Those are there to let the user know where they are in the ramping sequence. As for thermal reg, well it depends on how hot it gets. 25 seconds is just an estimate. Time has nothing to do with it. If you're using the light in a very warm environment it'll step down a lot faster. Take it into the freezer and it'll stay bright longer. And also the emitter choice makes a difference. The Nichia emitters make more heat so they step down faster. There's a lot that goes into it, but bottom line this is a tiny light with massive power, so it gets very hot, very fast and can't really cool itself very quickly. It'll never maintain max for very long at all.

KarstGhost

Enlightened

Thank you for the quick response emarkd. It just kind of caught me off guard. Mine is the XPG2 version. I like it a lot overall.