Emisar D4

drummer132132

Enlightened
Re: Noctigon Meteor D4

Ven, or anyone else, which version would be the least amount of heat generated? Xpl hi?

ven

Flashaholic

Ven, or anyone else, which version would be the least amount of heat generated? Xpl hi?

I think its pretty close, but the xp-g2 may run the coolest out of the 3. tbh it may be just me, but buying over the coolest is pointless. Which ever you get, it is going to get super toasty fast and i bet only 10-20s separates them all. None will get near a minute afaik on turbo, sure 30s is about the max time at full output. Hence why i went 219c 1st, however the 4000k xpg2 will be very nice for that warmer tone...........xpl HI 5000k would be nice to.

ven

Flashaholic

xpl HI it is then, just thought at 4000+ lumens it would be hotter than the xp-g2.
So xpl HI, xp-g2 then 219c hot to ...............erm hotter :laughing:

drummer132132

Enlightened

Probably go with xpl hi version at some point. Thank you both for the info.

TCY

Enlightened

The D4's official taobao store says that 219C>XP-L HI>XP-G2 in terms of heat. BLF's discusstion thread yields the same conclusion:thumbsup:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast

The D4's official taobao store says that 219C>XP-L HI>XP-G2 in terms of heat. BLF's discusstion thread yields the same conclusion:thumbsup:

Yes, xpg2 running the "coolest". Or Ummmmmm least hot...

torchsarecool

Enlightened

Oh ok....i found different info on blf suggesting otherwise. At first id have thought XPG2 was coolest to so ill go along with that. Either way its a hand warmer.

ven

Flashaholic

Up stairs i was(as you do playing around) counted 12s before the 1st step down this time...........OUCH toasty! then watched it step/ramp down a few more times. This light is the hot rod of all hot rods! Put the m43vn(11k lumnes) to shame in the heat stakes........
Not knowing what actual lumens it settled on, i got out a few lights to roughly compare brightness. I would hazard a guess around 300lm or so as it was noticeably brighter than my sportac 219c on 20%.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Up stairs i was(as you do playing around) counted 12s before the 1st step down this time...........OUCH toasty! then watched it step/ramp down a few more times. This light is the hot rod of all hot rods! Put the m43vn(11k lumnes) to shame in the heat stakes........
Not knowing what actual lumens it settled on, i got out a few lights to roughly compare brightness. I would hazard a guess around 300lm or so as it was noticeably brighter than my sportac 219c on 20%.

Stepdown
The step down is very aggressive. This is good for protecting you from heat, but perhaps a bit too aggressive when it comes to how low it goes. One reviewer on BLF tested it and after 30 seconds on VTC6 it had stepped down to something like 300 lumens, but on an Aspire 18350 it had only stepped down to 1400 lumens. Basically the extra heat from the 18650 caused the temp sensor to kick in faster and overdo it.

On the upside, due to the ramping it's very easy to ramp back up if the temp sensor brought output down too far. My guess is the light can probably do 1500 lumens sustained for an extended period of time if you handhold it, and perhaps do not start at max turbo.

Slippery grip
Do you carry this light in a pocket, but hate the lack of knurling? ... simple solution is to add something to improve the grip. I installed Talon Grip Tape from Amazon on mine. Adds very little bulk and turns a slippery light into my grippiest. Feels great in the hand too. I highly recommend it for this light.

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened

My guess is the light can probably do 1500 lumens sustained for an extended period of time if you handhold it, and perhaps do not start at max turbo.

Even Zebralight SC600fD III+ (more mass, more efficient driver+LED) can't do 1500 lumens handheld, they level out at about 600ish lumens.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Stepdown
The step down is very aggressive. This is good for protecting you from heat, but perhaps a bit too aggressive when it comes to how low it goes. One reviewer on BLF tested it and after 30 seconds on VTC6 it had stepped down to something like 300 lumens, but on an Aspire 18350 it had only stepped down to 1400 lumens. Basically the extra heat from the 18650 caused the temp sensor to kick in faster and overdo it.

On the upside, due to the ramping it's very easy to ramp back up if the temp sensor brought output down too far. My guess is the light can probably do 1500 lumens sustained for an extended period of time if you handhold it, and perhaps do not start at max turbo.

Slippery grip
Do you carry this light in a pocket, but hate the lack of knurling? ... simple solution is to add something to improve the grip. I installed Talon Grip Tape from Amazon on mine. Adds very little bulk and turns a slippery light into my grippiest. Feels great in the hand too. I highly recommend it for this light.

Its been in pocket at work and at home when carried yes, if i had a clip option but tapped for it............would be a winner(not into clip on clips at all). Thats a great idea with grip tape, it is a slipy feel/body...........but still nice to hold in hand.

Yes step down is aggressive but the head heat is still almost too much to bare (fine holding body but i like to get a better idea of the heat before i trust the step downs). Now even with the aggressive step downs, it is still toasty before it settles to a lower output and brings the temp under more control.

Cell used will sure make a difference, i have tried a vtc6 and 30Q only, if I used a 10a cell.....................probably hold out a bit longer. I have found though with even larger 18650 lights, 1000lm is too much to ask after 2 or 3mins, even 600lm is too much after 10m or so. Even a HDS 200lm gets quite warm after 10 + mins.

But i accepted before i got the D4 its not about running it for any length of time at full output, more for super short blasts and use the lower ouputs for actual general uses. I have said before, i can pretty much live with 200lm or less(most uses at work are around 150 as one example). At home, at night 20 or 30lm will do...............more is always fun though:)

Off to check some grip tape! cheers:)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some images of a black and a grey D4 with Talon Grip tape installed on the 18650 battery tube:
o1LRB8rl.jpg
q1b48gKl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic

Thanks for the pics, that actually looks really good! more importantly with an actual use. I only have the 18650 tube, for two reasons really. Just not enough in the tank with an 18350(even the aspire.......heck it does not take long to eat through an 18650!) ,also the 18650 is compact enough for me with this light. I have some 18500's sat around which may tempt me to try one of those bodies(don't have an 18500 light). Iirc they are just 1000mah......for the sake of 15mm or so , I can have 3 times the run time(roughly).

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some images of a black and a grey D4 with Talon Grip tape installed on the 18650 battery tube:
o1LRB8rl.jpg
q1b48gKl.jpg

+1 on the Talon Grips. I have a couple of lights with it installed and will likely put some on this hot rod when it comes in the mail too. :poke:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

I need to get some but the price is insane in Canada for talon grip (at least on Amazon).
Here in the U.S. it cost me $11 plus tax for a 5" by 7" sheet ... enough tape to put grips on a probably a dozen D4s. Free shipping with prime.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened

Would there be any benefit for performing a spring bypass at the MCPCB and tailcap?