Enclosing a generator for sound dampening

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pyd, those prices are the highest I ever heard of for those gens...
..places like Mayberry and Hondapowerhouse and Wisesales sell the Honda 2000 for less than $900 and the 1000 for $700-800..

BR549

Newly Enlightened
The Hondas are hard to beat but I picked up a 12,500k genset from Lowes for the same price I paid for the Honda ( I have a 2000i). I just could not justify spending that much for so limited output. I have had the Honda for about 7 years and it does great for low power needs but after Hurricaine Ivan and no power for 7 days I went with the full backup for the house. The enclosure I built looks alot like a big dog house - three sides and a pitched roof. I used door hinges so that is easily disassembled. I soundproofed with what I had available which was the pink roll in insulation and eggcrate foam- also have a big fan on it for use in warm weather. It seems to reduce the sound by at least 60 - 70 percent. I have thought about trying some different configuration but don't really think there is an economical portable solution worth the effort.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
main reason to buy the honda (if not for the quiet) is engine life. honda engines will log the most hours before breaking down (keep the oil clean=changed).. if you want longer life than honda you go to diesels..
if you need a generator your life doesn't rely on, and that you will use rarely and then for only short periods, I guess you can take a chance on something else..

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price I quoted is in Canadian dollars, we pay more for stuff here..
The dealership has three dealer demos for $850 each, they look brand new. I can't get the little thing off my mind now..
Lots of great ideas and suggestions here guys, thanks!

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Curling.. Dunno.. I didn't realize that was Canadian? In my defence, I never played or watched the game.. I am a firm believer in sports where drinking will not affect the outcome..

So, I built an ehaust extension for my generator, and I learned 3 things:
1. I am no plumber.
2. Never start a engine with a the exhaust tubed into a bucket of water on your workbench, unless you have alot of towels handy.
3. Cheap generators create engine noise that exceeds the exhaust noise, the bucket trick did nothing for the sound.

P9230344.jpg

jayb79

Newly Enlightened
How did solder joints last? I would think if you ran it under load for any amount of time then it would melt.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayb79 said:
How did solder joints last? I would think if you ran it under load for any amount of time then it would melt.

Good point, and one I took into consideration.. I didn't run it for very long, once it started spewing water all over my workbench I pretty much gave up on it, it did get warm while running though.
My thought (if it had worked) was to utilize the 12V output to run a small water pump to keep the copper cool, that is partly why the exhaust extension is shaped like that, however, I did not get that far due to the fact the engine itself was so loud.
Project status: Failed.

Now I will try an enclosure.
I am thinking roofing steel interior, rockwool insulation and another layer of roofing steel. Spring suspended floor and a fan.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
What worked for me is:
1) Start with a quiet Honda.
2) Build the generator shack behind my wood shed.
3) Build the shack with three sides and no floor. (I laid down some stepping stones, letting the earth soak up vibrations and noise, not the shack.)
4) Include some internal baffles in the shack to confuse the sound.

With this setup, I can't even hear my 2000i. I can hear my big 6000, but just barely.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey, that is so wierd, that's just about the exact description of my set-up; I have a 6500 diesel in the car port that is noisey, (it has a 75 foot wire, but I have yet to relocate it to a more remote housing) so when I can I borrow my brother's new honda 2k and put it behind the shed out back, next to the wood pile, behind the propane tank.. no shed for it though, it's light enough to carry inside..can't hear it either, I have to go out and check that it's running every now and then.. I use it to pump the well and run a few watts into the batteries too.. (and my bro gets to change the oil ;) )

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Four 4'x4' freight pallets with polyester pillow fiber, or fiberglass insulation stuffed in there ought to help.
This is the same stuff many hi-fi loudspeakers have been lined, or even filled with for years to get rid of thier "boxy" sound.
And be big enough for the generator to breathe.
Also, a larger car type muffler should help too if that pipe can be put into and secured into one found at a wrecking yard.

Mufflers like that are less restrictive and are made for even bigger and noisier engines to run quiet.

If a larger car type air filter can be carefully attached to the intake part, that may also help.
Then finally, set the thing on a good and grippy rubber mat.

Good luck. :)

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did I mention this is for a camp site?
My goal is to deflect the sound from my camper, for that reason I only need 1 or two walls. The campsite is vacant during the time of year I go, so angry neighbours are not a concern.

rscanady

Enlightened
Pyd,
Get the Honda, I go the EU2000i last season to take on the trips with me camping this year. I just logged my first trip with it up to Mt. Hood for a week and ran it a lot during the night to keep the trailer warm. It is quiet, Easily mobile (doesnt weight too much), and effecient. It ran for about ~14 hours or so one night before I filled it up again. I camp in a tent trailer and had it sitting under one of the bunks and was still able to sleep with it running, not very loud. As for longevity I cant attest to that yet, but in a few years I can let you know. I do about 6-8 trips a year and could see logging ~ 200 hours a year on it.

Oh yea, I even had camp neighbors with no complaints, really by the time i walked away from the campsite, I couldnt even hear it.

RYan