Eneloop C & D Cells Exposed

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Having parallel cells like this is not so peculiar when you think about it. A single cell is a rolled up sandwich of electrodes and insulator. In effect, the whole cell is "in parallel" throughout. If a D cell were made, it would just consist if a much fatter roll consisting of a longer strip of electrodes. What we have in the Eneloop D cell is the same long strip cut up into three pieces and made into three thinner rolls. Electrically it is much the same as one fat roll.

Charging in parallel for NiMH cells can be acceptable, as others have said, if all the cells are identical, from the same batch, connected with equivalent circuit paths, and treated the same way. Most importantly, all the cells should be in good thermal contact so they maintain an even temperature.

Problems can happen with parallel charging if the cells are allowed to attain different temperatures. In that case any cell that gets warmer than the others will drop in resistance and steal extra current from the charger, making it warmer still. The positive feedback of higher current and increasing temperature can lead to thermal runaway and cell damage. This is the main reason for recommending against the charging of NiMH cells in parallel.
I feel like people are getting worked up over charging cells in parallel while having the mindset they would for cells that weren't used together in parallel. These cells won't see separate or different workloads in different devices where they might be in serial, parallel or working individually. Each D or C cell will always be the same set of batteries internally going through basically the same thing together.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Bottom line is that most cell manufacturers would rather sell you three AA or four AAA cells than one D or C cell. And they would really rather sell you 2 AAA cells instead of one AA cell, since they have somehow convinced the customer to pay close to the same price per cell for both AA and AAA.

At least Sanyo didn't follow Energizer's lead with the one AA in a D size NiMH cell. :thumbsdow

Cheers,
BG

I am just curious if Sanyo just went to the trouble of making a true one cell D what its properties would actually be. Do not get me wrong I love Eneloops. I have even been instrumental in replaced every AA and AAA used in my company with Eneloops. I would just like to see/experience this technology extended to its C and D brethren. Anyone know what the market price of Eneloops C and D batteries are? Comparatively speaking to their AA cells. I think the C and D cells are not available in the USA.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just curious if Sanyo just went to the trouble of making a true one cell D what its properties would actually be. Do not get me wrong I love Eneloops. I have even been instrumental in replaced every AA and AAA used in my company with Eneloops. I would just like to see/experience this technology extended to its C and D brethren. Anyone know what the market price of Eneloops C and D batteries are? Comparatively speaking to their AA cells. I think the C and D cells are not available in the USA.
The capacity of a cell is roughly proportional to its internal volume.

Therefore, we can estimate:

Volume(AA) = π/4 · 14.5² · 50 = 8300 mm³
Capacity(AA) = 1900 mAh

Volume(D) = π/4 · 34² · 61 = 55,000 mm³

Capacity(D) = 550/83 · 1900 = 13,000 mAh

We find D size NiMH cells with capacities up to 12,000 mAh, so this estimate stacks up.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
The capacity of a cell is roughly proportional to its internal volume.

Therefore, we can estimate:

Volume(AA) = π/4 · 14.5² · 50 = 8300 mm³
Capacity(AA) = 1900 mAh

Volume(D) = π/4 · 34² · 61 = 55,000 mm³

Capacity(D) = 550/83 · 1900 = 13,000 mAh

We find D size NiMH cells with capacities up to 12,000 mAh, so this estimate stacks up.

Is the improved separator used in LSD batteries specifically Eneloops a thicker material than the separator material in non LSD NiMH batteries?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I might as well just use AA's in an adapter instead of getting these cells...at least I will be able to use the same Duracell CEF23 for everything. ;)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think I might as well just use AA's in an adapter instead of getting these cells...at least I will be able to use the same Duracell CEF23 for everything. ;)

If you could only get those 3AA eneloop adapters for decent prices

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 2AA adapters for about $1 each from Hong Kong, 3AA would mean an odd number of batteries again, and that's not good...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I got 2AA adapters for about $1 each from Hong Kong, 3AA would mean an odd number of batteries again, and that's not good...

Not if you had a 4 channel smart charger. Most D cell devices use 2 or 4 or 8 cells so with the 4 and 8 cells you have 12 or 24 AAs.. easily divided by 4

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a CEF23, so the problem I have with odd number of batteries is that they always come in even numbers (and two sets of 9 is too many batteries). ;)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've got a CEF23, so the problem I have with odd number of batteries is that they always come in even numbers (and two sets of 9 is too many batteries). ;)

buy a single AA LED light to use the odd battery then :thumbsup:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we usually buy batteries for lights, and not lights for batteries. :ohgeez: ;)
No, quite wrong.

When buying a light, your first decision is how to power it. Do you want to use primaries or rechargeables? Will the light be used every day or infrequently? Might you want to switch between primaries and rechargeables in the same light? Do you consider yourself technically sophisticated, or do you just want your batteries to be "charge it and forget it"?

The power source is the thing that makes your light work. If you don't get the power source right you won't be happy with the light.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but what I was referring to was buying a light just so that spare batteries could be used (because if that's the case, I need to find several lights that run on the bunch of 9V batteries I have...).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
True, but what I was referring to was buying a light just so that spare batteries could be used (because if that's the case, I need to find several lights that run on the bunch of 9V batteries I have...).

Apparently you are not a full fledged flashaholic yet :D
There is dozens of threads of people here buy lights to use up batteries of all sorts that are partially used up in other things etc.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a CEF23, so the problem I have with odd number of batteries is that they always come in even numbers (and two sets of 9 is too many batteries).;)

Easy solution - take left over batteries and buy lights to use them in. Quark AA and/or Zebralight H501w would be good choices. Let's face it - could you ever have TOO many lights?

*clasps wallet*

If you want to hang on to you money you may be on the wrong forum - we're here to help you SPEND it!

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
Easy solution - take left over batteries and buy lights to use them in. Quark AA and/or Zebralight H501w would be good choices. Let's face it - could you ever have TOO many lights?

If you want to hang on to you money you may be on the wrong forum - we're here to help you SPEND it!

This post is psychically (is that a word?) charged!

Cruising this forum prompted me to go from a sole Bell bicycle headlight and rayovac alkalines (my only light for years) to a Zebralight h501w, a 6d ROP that is awaiting these eneloop D cells (it's on eneloop d adapters), and has me ready to pull the trigger on a Quark aa mini nw.

Oh yeah, I bought a maha c808m just to prepare for future lsd D cell goodness, it will charge my aa duraloops too :D .

Gotta let the bank card cool off...

Last edited:

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
I like these D cells: http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7
They work well and 10Ah of capacity should provide a decent run time (~2 hours on ROP high or ~4 hours on ROP low).

Thanks for the tip, but my wife would confiscate my wallet if I burned 60 more bucks on battery stuff! (I've even had to use the "paypal hide my money" shuffle.) I was planning to bide my time using the ROP as a 20 minute security "flasher" until I can find a lsd d cell solution for about $30. I wouldn't mind the 5700mah, the mh-c808m can charge 5700 in about three hours. But you probably knew that already :).