Eneloop C & D Cells Exposed

mojo-chan

Newly Enlightened
One problem with adapters is putting unbalanced cells in them imagine an almost dead cell with 2 full cells in parallel the dead cell could experience being charged at a higher rate than the adapter can handle melting your adapter or worse. Single cell adapters can be found at times along with series adapters but parallel ones are a rarity in the stores.

Ah, true dat. Sanyo must be very confident that their matches packs will age evenly, which is encouraging.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ah, true dat. Sanyo must be very confident that their matches packs will age evenly, which is encouraging.

Actually once the batteries equalize in one of their C/D cells or whatever it doesn't matter how the cells age in it as long as none short out because there is no way they can be charged unevenly when always in parallel.

mojo-chan

Newly Enlightened
Actually once the batteries equalize in one of their C/D cells or whatever it doesn't matter how the cells age in it as long as none short out because there is no way they can be charged unevenly when always in parallel.

That's what I mean. They are fairly sure they will get a very low number of cells failing/degrading significantly before their rated number of recharge cycles. We have been through a lot of NiMH batteries at work and the number of manufacturers with high early failure rates or not able to come close to their rated capacity after a year is incredible. Ansman, Varta, Tekcell, Duracell, I'm looking at you.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I mean. They are fairly sure they will get a very low number of cells failing/degrading significantly before their rated number of recharge cycles. We have been through a lot of NiMH batteries at work and the number of manufacturers with high early failure rates or not able to come close to their rated capacity after a year is incredible. Ansman, Varta, Tekcell, Duracell, I'm looking at you.

Have you tried the new Duracell Ion Cores? Seems that a lot of people (self included) suspect that they are relabeled XXs but I'm not a heavy enough user to confirm.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

mojo-chan

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried the new Duracell Ion Cores? Seems that a lot of people (self included) suspect that they are relabeled XXs but I'm not a heavy enough user to confirm.

I have not tried those, but it figures that the only good ones they make would be rebranded Eneloops.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's confirmed folks, the Eneloop C-cell is composed of 4 x AAA cells and the D-cell is composed of 3 x AA cells:

Interesting. Does the picture show a C-cell? I see.

So i could build my own Eneloop D battery and Eneloop C battery by buying a round 1s3p-AA and a round 1s4p-AAA battery holder?

Then i could test the 3 amps max charge rate of my new charger on them woot!! :devil:

Last edited:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be better if they just made these into adapters where you can change the batteries out if they didn't want to create a real C and D NiMH battery. They would sell more AA's and AAA's that way for those who have D and C cell rechargeables or even in general since it would take a 4AAA pack for C size and a 4AA pack (3 batteries) for the D size.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can do it yourself, see the post before yours. I got my adapters from a Chinese eBay seller but it appears that now they're available from Amazon.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
possibly... but I'm guessing that you aren't going to save any money doing that and probably end up with weld marks on the ends of the batteries to boot.

It also looks like from the picture that the cell sides aren't wrapped. So, they'd be part of the negative contact point. You might have to be more careful about short circuits if you use them that way.