Eneloop USB Charger & Mobile Booster - Sweetness

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
i dont think that this actually was intended as an emergency power supply, by the look of sanyo's website it was more intended as an additional channel of distributing energy, i.e. you have a laptop and a camera which takes AA's, instead of buying AA primaries and throwing them away after theyre spent you charge your eneloops from your laptop instead, and effectively your charging both your laptop and your camera batteries from the single source of your laptop charger

true emergency power supplies can range from stuff like that Tekkeon AA power bank to wind up chargers which sometimes come with LEDS to double as a portable torch as well... hopefully one day we get to play with the military stuff where they have piezoelectric or magnetic-mechanical things in shoes , like they describe in https://www.media.mit.edu/resenv/pubs/papers/98_08_PP_wearcon_final.pdf ... charge your batteries just by walking around!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
have you ever tried to use the usual crank generator to charge a battery, i am waiting till a "nuclear war emergency" to want to do that :huh:

400ma per hour, at the 5v. trying to charge my PDA with a crank, with a 1300ma battery providing 4 hours of use, would take 3HOURS of cranking, i lasted 15 minutes. and the plastic crank might last a total of 10 hours before it falls apart.

if a crank generator will work for an emergency, it would have to be a good one, not the usual one claimed to charge a cell phone. and it would have to be a dire emergency :)

for 3 hours of cranking, a solar pannel comes in much handier

course if you need 1-2 minutes of talk time on a cell phone, it will do that.

Signed Laz Y Tech

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Anyone ever find this thing Stateside???
(The AA version)

Warehouse123 lists it....but my googlefu says they're a bit sketchy

Bones

Enlightened
Anyone ever find this thing Stateside???
(The AA version)

Warehouse123 lists it....but my googlefu says they're a bit sketchy

I purchased from an eBay vendor, can't remember which one, but this one looks better than most:

http://cgi.ebay.com ... item=250493183964

Although off-shore, they're a joint venture which includes Hewlett-Packard according to their listing.

flasherByNight has seen this, but for anyone else considering the KBC-E1S, here's a few comments I posted after receiving mine:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post3041777

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the Tekkeon does look very compact.

The Duracell charger does more though, so that may be compensation to some for its increased size: it can be powered from the mains for charging and for USB power output, and it (I think) has four individual charging channels where the Tekkeon has two pairs.

The Tekkeon MP1550 works well as a regulated power source. However, you should be sure your batteries are depleted before you attempt to charge them with the unit. From what I understand it only does a timed charge, so it will overcharge your batteries if you try to just "top" them off. The manual states that it is highly recommended that you only charge fully depleted batteries.

I just bought the Tekkeon a few days ago, and I sure wish I had known about the Sanyo unit at the time. However, I like the Tekkeon as a power source, since you can use two or four AAs.

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received it today! 3 days between Japan and Canada... I've never seen the postal system going that fast before!

My first test was with a 1st gen iPod Touch with the included new version Eneloops. Batteries were depleted when the iPod was charged 3/4 full. Not bad as it's only a "booster".

The stick booster itself seems well built and is made in Japan. Pictures coming later!

mfm

Enlightened
Received it today! 3 days between Japan and Canada... I've never seen the postal system going that fast before!

My first test was with a 1st gen iPod Touch with the included new version Eneloops. Batteries were depleted when the iPod was charged 3/4 full. Not bad as it's only a "booster".

The stick booster itself seems well built and is made in Japan. Pictures coming later!

I bought the KBC-E1A which was the released at the same time as the stick booster, it has the same boost function as the stick booster but comes with two 1500-cycle eneloops and can also function as a charger from USB (with individual channels).

On two fully charged eneloops it charged my iPhone 3GS from 19% to 59%, and I kind of regret that I didn't buy the version with a 5000 mAh Li-Ion battery instead (which was twice the price).

MarioJP

Enlightened
On two fully charged eneloops it charged my iPhone 3GS from 19% to 59%, and I kind of regret that I didn't buy the version with a 5000 mAh Li-Ion battery instead (which was twice the price).

I would despise boosters with a internal battery with such capacity because it comes down to "charging the charger", secondly due to that high amount capacity I would of imagine it would take couple of hours to charge. Even at 1A charge rate, it would still take 5 hours or more to charge. Might charge your 3gs all the way with more power to spare but its just isn't the best way.

So instead of that 5000mAh Li-Ion booster, replace it with

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1550.html

Not only are they are swappable. This booster can be operate of min of 2 cells, max 4 cells (more cells the better), and you have an effective way to utilize 4000mAh with 2 sets of eneloop, yet gets charged half the time using your existing charger to charge the cells. By the way. This booster also serves as a NiMh charger. Charges in pairs of 2-4. Charging rate ranges from 500mAh-700mAh depending of the power source its coming from. and its cheaper on Amazon and newegg

Plus it can charge a iphone 3g from dead to fully charge with power to spare for another round on a single set of 4AA eneloops

I also despise booster that uses only 2 Cells=horrible efficiency. Now that is what a call an emergency booster that gets the job done well!

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind the 2AA version. Smaller and I can use my entire supply of NiMH batteries if needed. Anyway, it's not meant to be the primary power source to recharge a device.

mfm

Enlightened
I would despise boosters with a internal battery with such capacity because it comes down to "charging the charger", secondly due to that high amount capacity I would of imagine it would take couple of hours to charge. Even at 1A charge rate, it would still take 5 hours or more to charge. Might charge your 3gs all the way with more power to spare but its just isn't the best way.

So instead of that 5000mAh Li-Ion booster, replace it with

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1550.html
Too big and the charger is better in the KBC-E1A. The only "emergencies" I need it for charging during 12 hour intercontinental flights and maybe some other travels, and I must be able to charge it in my hotel room with my laptop (I certainly won't bring another charger with me). I guess this mobile booster is enough though, I could always bring two extra Eneloops.

At home I have a 12V 60Ah UPS with USB connector if needed... and dozens of Eneloops.