Energizer e2 lithium batteries vs alkaline? pros & cons

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Re: Trouble from 1.8 volts? - even in 2AA use?

Some Petzl LED lights warn AGAINST using lithium primaries. It causes these lights to over heat. It may not fail right away, but LED life will be shortened.

How about this idea if you need Lithiums in the glove box for their long shelf life?

Suck the Lithium down to 1.5 volts and then use it. I had three Lithiums in a radio and noticed that one had 1.5 volts left when two of the three had pretty much died and the radio wouldn't play on FM. I should be able to use that cell without danger.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about this idea if you need Lithiums in the glove box for their long shelf life?

Suck the Lithium down to 1.5 volts and then use it. I had three Lithiums in a radio and noticed that one had 1.5 volts left when two of the three had pretty much died and the radio wouldn't play on FM. I should be able to use that cell without danger.

My experience, e2 lithium cells cannot provide sufficient current at 1.4v and are essentially dead at 1.3v.

Marduke

Flashaholic

I just picked up two of the Ray O Vac 1 watt made by Nuwai, 2aa lights. (Walmart closeout at $9 each.)

I like the higher output of the non rechargeable Lithium Energizer batteries as it translates to a bit brighter beam. My only worry is that at about 1.8 volts, this will mean 3.6 volts total rather than the 3 volts that alkaline cells will produce.

Is that extra voltage enough to fry the light? I would rather thrown the Lithiums in the light for car-glovebox use. They will be less likely to be dead when used some time in the future after sitting unused in the hot and cold car.

It's fine, you can use the L91's right out of the package in that light. Very few devices will not work properly with e2 lithiums, most of those being 3-cell direct drive lights. No need to "season" the cells to use in the Rayovac.

mdocod

Flashaholic

A 2AA LED light will work FINE on lithium primaries as it's very unlikely for the voltage to be high enough under a load to overcome the Vf of the LED. But since the voltage is slightly higher than alkaline cells, it probably results in the boost driver working even more efficiently as the input voltage would be even closer to the Vf that the boost driver is trying to achieve.

Lithium primaries can be more economical than alkalines in higher drain applications where their runtime can more than overcome their increased cost, but it also depends on what cells you are comparing to. You can get a BIG package of off-brand alkalines that aren't bad and only pay about $0.25-$0.50 per cell, in which case the cost effectiveness of the lithium may not look as competitive...

In clocks and remotes, alkalines are far more cost effective :)

Eric

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
I always keep a spare pair of Energizer Lithiums in the car, so that will be my plan for the RayOVac as well.

I will keep alkalines in the light and use the Lithiums if the alkalines are not working. (These "emergency" Energizer Lithiums can power my radios in a pinch, too.)

Zenster

Enlightened
I don't like buying Lithium batteries that have expiration dates beyond a date when I could possibly still be alive. :mecry:
It's just seems like so much "wasted energy" to me. :sigh:

Seriously, a 4-pack of AA Lithium primaries cost almost exactly the same as a 4-pack of AA NimH Hybrids or Hybrios (and even Eneloops if you catch them on sale).
On that basis, Lithiums are WAY too expensive compared to what you can ultimately get from rechargeables.

At the same time, rechargeables fall down on the job during a power outage when you can't recharge them, so my simple strategy now is to use NimH rechargeables in my AA lights all the time, but I still keep some Lithiums in my stash as backups for those rare times when I might truly need them.

I used to stash Alkalines, but I've recently started replacing my Alkaline stash with just Lithiums due to both the long, leak free, storage time of Lithiums, and their higher power that allows longer use during the exact times when longer use is the most important.

My 02.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what they cost in the US, but a 4 pack of Energizer e2 lithium AA costs about $18 plus tax here, so definitely a luxury battery.

I only need a set for the light in the car, mainly for cold weather performance, since the Eneloops can handle the summer heat.

Prior to getting into the LSD rechargeables earlier this year, we bought a brick of alkaline AAs at Costco. Now that all of our AA devices (except wall clocks) use the rechargeables, the brick of alkaline AAs is our backup stash for lights, radios, and lanterns.

Given the number of wall clocks we have around here (apprently I'm a clockoholic as well) the stash will be depleted by the "use by" date.

When the emergency stash is getting close to being depleted, I will get more alkalines to replace them, since the lithium batteries just don't make economic sense for my purposes.

Perhaps if another battery company started making lithium AA & AAA cells, the prices might come down.

Marduke

Flashaholic
At the same time, rechargeables fall down on the job during a power outage when you can't recharge them,

Because you CAN recharge lithium during a power outage? Your batteries need to be stockpiled and fresh either way. But I get your point, I keep L91's on hand because they don't require attention for 15 years and I know if they are never opened, they WILL work when I need them.

e2's generally go for $10 for a 4-pack in the US at most B&M stores. If you shop around, you can get them much cheaper. Sam's Club for example sells 12-packs for $20. Every now and then you get a sale which puts them at about $5 for 4-pack. If you keep an eye out on eBay, sometimes you can get a bulk load of them, 100 for $100, but I would then only trust them in single cell use.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Anyone know the voltage range for AA e2's?
I know "fresh" AA e2 voltage is usually ~1.75+ volts.
What is considered a "low" voltage reading ?
Is it the same as "low" reading as alkalines (~1.3V) ?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Perhaps if another battery company started making lithium AA & AAA cells, the prices might come down.

Energizer currently owns the patent on them in the US any many other countries. For now, the only other country making (low quality) ones is China. We won't see companies like Rayovac or Duracell making lithium primary AA's and AAA's until the patent runs out.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying them from USA, the price per unit comes down to around 1.8$, including shipping. Not that bad. Anyway, it's the same with CR123A. The in store price is $16 + taxes for 2. I replaced all my alkaline batteries stock by lithium batteries stock for long storage time. I also now use only lithium in low drain devices because there's less chance they will leak. NiMH are not suited for those as they becomes sleepy when they are not cycled often...

Not sure what they cost in the US, but a 4 pack of Energizer e2 lithium AA costs about $18 plus tax here, so definitely a luxury battery.

I only need a set for the light in the car, mainly for cold weather performance, since the Eneloops can handle the summer heat.

Prior to getting into the LSD rechargeables earlier this year, we bought a brick of alkaline AAs at Costco. Now that all of our AA devices (except wall clocks) use the rechargeables, the brick of alkaline AAs is our backup stash for lights, radios, and lanterns.

Given the number of wall clocks we have around here (apprently I'm a clockoholic as well) the stash will be depleted by the "use by" date.

When the emergency stash is getting close to being depleted, I will get more alkalines to replace them, since the lithium batteries just don't make economic sense for my purposes.

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
If you keep an eye out on eBay, sometimes you can get a bulk load of them, 100 for $100, but I would then only trust them in single cell use.
Why only "single cell use" if purchased this way?

Bloody things cost about $6 ea in Australia.

David_Campen

Enlightened
If you keep an eye out on eBay, sometimes you can get a bulk load of them, 100 for $100, but I would then only trust them in single cell use.
Energizer cells being sold for this price are most probably "preused". I have about 20 pounds of these junk cells from the Excess Solutions sale of a couple years ago. Since I discovered that I can't trust the capacity of the cells I only use them in wall clocks and TV remotes.

David_Campen

Enlightened
Some Petzl LED lights warn AGAINST using lithium primaries. It causes these lights to over heat. It may not fail right away, but LED life will be shortened.
Yeah, at least one low end Petzl headlamp has this problem because it does not have any regulation circuit, just a current limiting resistor. I would argue that early failure of one of these would be a good thing - then you could throw it away and get a proper headlamp that actually had a regulating circuit.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I notice batteries in-general costs a lot more in Canada.

I shopped around Zellers and WalMart in BC and I see regular alkaline at about $1.00 each. L91 costs around $4.5 each.

In Texas, I can get alkalines on regular retail for $0.50 each and L91s on regular retail for $2.25 each. Cheaper if you get it at Sam's Club, comes down to around $1.75 for each L91!

Huge price difference (twice the price or more) and that's before the GST and PST.

No wonder my Canadian friends use rechargeables a lot.

I'm the only guy who still wastes by using primaries only because it is so cheap to get primaries where I am.

I typically buy a few packs of batteries in the US for my friends in Canada whenever I fly there.

Last edited:

Latest posts