Energizer e2 lithium batteries vs alkaline? pros & cons

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge and about 5 minutes worth of Googling, I cannot find where Rayovac makes an AA or AAA sized lithium cell, only CR123, CR2, and coin cell. The article makes no reference to a specific cell to really know.
I found several articles that expanded on it somewhat, but do not specifially mention AA and AAA.

Energizer said it believes Spectrum Brands, the Atlanta-based seller of Rayovac batteries, infringed two of its patents by importing and selling primary lithium batteries in the United States.

But as was noted farther up this thread in response to something I asked about competitors, it was noted that Energizer has the North American patents locked up on those types. If these weren't AA or AAA, I doubt Energizer would be getting their panties in a knot, since ROV has been making other types of lithium based cells for years.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Energizer makes a claim against patent 6,849,360, which is for lithium iron disulfide cells. I have never seen and cannot find a Rayovac lithium iron disulfide cell for sale. Too bad I missed out, I would like to have gotten some cheap.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would have been nice to know which US retailer was selling those cells.

Can someone with a Costco membership please check Costco.

I checked Sam's, Circuit City, Walmart and Target but none there.

I will go check Best Buy and Fry's later.

Where else could this be sold? Remember, the articles mention "major retailer".

Who are the major retailers?

MorePower

Enlightened
Can someone with a Costco membership please check Costco.

I checked Sam's, Circuit City, Walmart and Target but none there.

I will go check Best Buy and Fry's later.

Where else could this be sold? Remember, the articles mention "major retailer".

Who are the major retailers?

The Rayovac Li-FeS2 aren't currently available at any retailer in the US. There's no need to check around. How can I be sure? Let's just say I know more than a little bit about what's going on at Rayovac... :whistle:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rayovac Li-FeS2 aren't currently available at any retailer in the US. There's no need to check around. How can I be sure? Let's just say I know more than a little bit about what's going on at Rayovac... :whistle:
I kinda figured you had an inside view, based on your previous posts and location :grin2:

Hopefully Rayovac comes out on top on this one.

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again, the press is wrong with the news. The news reports said they are available at a major retailer ...

They always get the details wrong.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
Again, the press is wrong with the news. The news reports said they are available at a major retailer ...

They always get the details wrong.
I forget who said it, but: "Everything you read in the news is true, except everything you actually know about."

hopkins

Enlightened
Hey Cletus03
Just picture in your brain that lithiums AA's are like a quart bottle of beer and that alkalines AA's are like regular little 12oz bottle.

........If your gadget is real thirsty go for the quart bottle.:thumbsup:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kinda figured you had an inside view, based on your previous posts and location :grin2:

Hopefully Rayovac comes out on top on this one.

Patents have a finite lifespan. When does the Energizer patent expire, anyone know?

When was it granted?

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patents have a finite lifespan. When does the Energizer patent expire, anyone know?

When was it granted?

I looked a while back and couldn't find that info but found an interesting link here.

Some interesting quotes:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]This is the case with Energizer's Lithium primary cells which have been marketed since 1990.

So they have been on the market since 1990 with a 17 year patent length. Probably safe to say that the patents based on the original version have expired.

On the other hand (note the article was published in 2003 so 13 years was from intro to the time of writing) ....
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In the past 13 years, high rate capacity has gone from a nominal 1,700 mAh to over 2800 mAh, while operating temperature performance has improved to give almost 100 times the run time of a standard Alkaline cell at -200 C.

So a clone of the L91 as it existed at introduction probably shouldn't infringe on any intellectual property. It would be a also be a distant second to current L91's. It might still be an interesting value choice if priced well. When I first looked into this I seem to remember seeing that Energizer had sought patents for the technological changes that resulted in the improvements to their batteries. It's probably a safe assumption that they have. Most, if not all, of those patents would still be in effect. Simply cloning a current gen L91 would therefore result in infringement of those patents. Maybe Rayovac made their own changes to the original design and Energizer is claiming the issue is with follow on patents. It will be interesting to see how things pan out and what this does to the market.
[/FONT]

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I can get e2 batteries cheaper at BJ's. The cheapest I can find them is close outs on Energizer phone recharges. I picked up 2 rechargers for 1.10 each at HD in the close out section. Just dumped the recharger and kept the 4 batteries. I like the LSD batteries for everyday use. Still have a bunch of NiMH standard batteries and now keep them in children's toys or even my flashlights that don't have LSD yet.

I use the Energizer e2 for winter camping. For negative zero nothing beats them. I care less for environmental concerns during a nasty winter storm and I have to police the shelter to keep it standing at 3 am. I keep some e2 AA and AAA in my packs as backups and my BOB for longer term storage. My BOB gear gets e2 (headlamps and flashlights) because they will not leak and last a long time.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on where you live.

They are $4.50 a piece here in Canada, so $2.00 is a bargain, even with shipping costs.

Yes, Sam's in the US is cheap.

Yes, those costs a lot in Canada. I did check them out the last time I was at Shopper's Drug Mart and they are around $4.50 each, as you mentioned.

I always bring some with me from the US when I visit Canada and leave them behind for my friends to use.

But then everything is more expensive in Canada. Not just L91.

Last edited:

Latest posts