Escape from the Tunnels

turbodog

Flashaholic
In incandescent light (with no spare bulb) would NEVER be my choice here. If the bulb blows, you're out of luck.

Another choice would be a minimag with the opalec conversion. It's got good runtime, and lithium cells will add about 50% to this.

Deanster

Enlightened
I'll third or fourth the recommendations above - Inova x5t five LED's, rock-solid construction, 2x123 batteries, nice flood light, plenty of oomph for truly dark situations (a little wimpy when competing with streetlights, but more than enough for most purposes) and 10+ hours of runtime.

Inova 24/7 - a wierd little light, with four white, two red and two yellow LED's - has high and low white light modes, plus red, and several strobe/warning/signal modes. Couldn't look less threatening, and the flat shape is very easy to carry. 1x123 battery gives several hours on high white, and many many hours in the strobing modes. Eternalight would be another similar choice, though not as solidly built, IMHO.

UK eLed - described above - a little more robust beam than the multi-LED lights above, which is good, in exchange for less runtime, which is bad.

I'd point you away from any of the incandescent lights - they are super-bright, but have relatively short runtimes...

The other items you really really want to carry is a super-high-quality dust mask and some eye-protection - I think N95 is the standard for the masks, and the CountyComm Specs II Lexan eye guards are excellent.

advice, worth what you paid for it!

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you are really looking at this for a true emergency situation, I'd add another feature of the eternalight. It has sos mode.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe everyone should take into consideration that a tunnel = alot of dust and other air pollution.

these lower powered lights probly wont be adequate for the duration of the situation.

if you really wanted something lightweight and affordable and low on lumens, maybe you'd like the Petzl Zipka Plus.

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
The 24/7 also has an SOS mode doesnt it? Also, if you are storing it in a bag, its harder for an accidental turn on (since you need to rotate the bezel to activate it). I'd leave a 24/7 in my car with a magnetic mount, so if i get a flat i can just leave it on the hood instead of wasting my car battery with hazards...but for ur situation...i completely understand your desire for an emergency light. i keep the inova microlights on my keys...i use them quite frequently for the last two years and they still work fine (just to illustrate the battery life) i keep an x5 with me most of the time on my belt..its small enuf not to be pain...let us know what you decide on

notrefined

Enlightened
I wouldn't recommend an N95 particulate respirator unless you're worried about aquiring tuberculosis or the like while trapped in your subway tunnel without power- they make for increased work of breathing when new (unclogged)and would quickly become completely unusable in a truly dusty atmosphere. A bandana would be a better choice for dealing with dust, and has many more alternate uses.

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't forget the Countycomm $1.00 LED lights. Put a piece of tape over the switches to keep them from turning on if bumped or dropped.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Just another thought, I might consider carrying a SF A2. It has the 3 LEDs which are great for walking in dark places. It also has the 50 lumen capability should you need something for potentially tactical situations or to cut through dust and/or smoke - which you may encounter in a terrorist situation or fire.

J

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
There are a lot of great ideas here, and I'm sure almost any of them would be good.
I still want to put my 2 cents in with yet another light or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, what we are looking for is a light, or lights, that have to be easily carried day in and day out, reliable, and have both a great light output and good runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you can't carry it easily, you probably will start leaving it behind. If your in that tunnel or other situation , any light sitting on the table at home is useless! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I would suggest a Streamlight TL2-LED. You can easily pocket it. It has a about 4 to 5 hours of very bright light, and 50 hours of usable light after that. About 60.00

Also, a Gerber Infinity Ultra, with a lithium AA cell.
Incredible run time and very usable light output for a small light. about 20.00 (of course an ARC AAA or AA would be the Bomb, but more expensive)

These two lights together make a great combination and if you only end up having one or the other with you, you'd still be doing well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just another idea!

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
I'm gussing you want something that is inexpensive, and small that you could carry in your shoulder pack or on your person. My suggestions:

1) The Streamlight Twin Task 2L (2 x CR123). Give you the options of LED lights (for zero/low light conditions) or incandescent (when you need brightness). Cost around $30.

2) The UnderWater Kinetics 2L. . Reasonably priced for around $25. Plus you can change the head to an LED replacement head. . This will give you the flexibility of switching to LEDs if you want.

I also recommending looking at those review sites that have been mentioned previously. They give a lot of useful information.

Good luck!

83Venture

Enlightened
Another light to condider is the UK 2AAA Mini Pocket eLED, runs about 20 hrs, has a clip and key ring, both of which can be removed. Runs on 2 AAA batteries side by side. I have carried this cliped on a pocket or inside/outside of the waistband. Can be cliped to a hat or collar etc, Light, cheap ($11.92 @ Brightguy) comes in three colors. Waterproof to 500 feet.

If you decide to get one of the larger/brighter lights it would still be a very good backup.

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/uk_2aaa_eled.htm

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am big fan of lot of different lights, but when I am going places where I need a light (below 50 $) that WILL NOT fail, I take the INOVA X5T.

Anthony

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eternalight Ergo- it will run over 2500 hours on 1 LED.
Doesn't the Inova T3 have a 5 hour run time?? or is it the T2??
Maybe an E2D?? In case there is some "pushing and shoving"
Just an idea.
Let us know what ya decide.

Blades

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info- this is truly an amazing amount of feedback for such a short time since my first post. I'm afraid there's no way I can really respond to all the points brought up. I'm still researching a lot of the suggestions as time permits.

I have the feeling I'm going to end up with 2 or 3 lights just out of curiosity, and pick my favorite for EDC. I'm just starting to get a feel for what's really available out there.

Just for clarification, for the scenario I think likely, I don't consider 2-3 hours of usable light adequate. For the light that I keep by the bedside (currently the Pelican Stealthlight) that's fine, but a crisis in the subway is likely to be a protracted one. Given that the light may see a little routine use, and might not have a full charge at the start, I'm thinking a minimum of 10 hours of usable light, enough light to walk by, in some mode. 15 would be better.

Lights like the Surefire E2 are intriguing, but I get the impression that a lot of their value is in throwing a LOT of light for their size. That being the case, going for a reduced-output (but still incandescent) lamp seems like it's sort of killing the point. I can see something like this being the best choice, but for somewhat different scenarios.

I always carry a Photon 3 on a key ring, and sometimes a second one in my pouch. They weigh next to nothing; there's no reason not to.. so I'm probably Ok for backup. The Photon 3 also has an SOS mode, though I have trouble seeing a scenario where that would be really useful in the subway. If they're looking for you, they're going to have a pretty good idea where you are, and they'll know you're in distress. Seems likelier that the real problem will be that there's no one down there looking.

I have also carried a Zipka (old orignal model) for awhile, but it seems to have gone missing...

I don't see particulate matter in the air being a high priority- it's basically the same air that is used to ventilate the cars when the subway is moving. There are no internal combustion engines down there- if there's a fire or gas attack, that's way beyond what a filter mask will help with. I routinely carry a large (1 yard square) , thin, tightly woven silk bandanna, which might help with this scenario if needed, and is more versatile than a filter mask.

One of the worst (well, worst survivable) scenarios would be being caught under the river. I don't know how long it would take the subway tunnels to start flooding if the pumps are out, but I suspect the people in that situation might not be waiting 10 hours in place. A few years ago an ice storm put several stations out of commission that way- the rails have their own power source, but when the station pumps cut out, the third rail MUST be killed before the water reaches it, and the pumps must be on again for some time before the trains can move again...

The UK 4AA eLED seems too inexpensive not to try, and I like the fact that it has a real switch, but is still pretty waterproof. Those are the qualities that led me to the Stealthlight.

I'm not sure what to make of the Enternalights or the Inova 24/7 yet. They seem to be exceptions.

I have been avoiding lithium cells for decades now (for backpacking) based on cost and availabilty, but the price on the Surefire site has compelled me to reconsider. The weight savings, high output, and not having to worry about fresh batteries every year or so if it's NOT used, probably make this worthwhile at the current price point. I have no problem with $15/12 at all, just curious why it hasn't driven prices down in general.

I'm probably ready to try an Inova X5T. Anything wrong with the slightly beefed/subdued version on Countycomm?

A am intrigued by the Streamlight TwinTask, very tempted, but a little confused. I mean, the concept seems basically the same as the Surefire A2 aviator, but the Surefire sells for more than 6 times as much. What am I missing here?

Many thanks for all the suggestions, still researching...

Mr. D.

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the x5t from countycomm awhile ago, should b here friday...i've seen some good reviews about it, i'll let you kno what I think.

wwglen

Enlightened
Quote:

A am intrigued by the Streamlight TwinTask, very tempted, but a little confused. I mean, the concept seems basically the same as the Surefire A2 aviator, but the Surefire sells for more than 6 times as much. What am I missing here?

End Quote:

The biggest differences are:

1. Slightly reduced build quality (still VERY good)

2. Have to cycle through the different modes (Off-LED-Off-Incandesent). You can not be sure what "Off" mode you are in and therefore which "ON" will be next unless you make it a habit to always leave it in the same "Off" position.

3. Slightly larget than the surefire especially in the head.

4. No momentary "ON" mode only a momentary "OFF" mode.

Other than these things they are GREAT.

Get the 2-L over the 1-L due to the following reasons:

1. The LED run time for the 2-L is almost 3x the 1-L at the same brightness.

2. The Incandasent runtime is almost 2x the 1-L and is almost twice as bright.

wwglen

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If you wear a belt, and wish to carry something other people would never look twice at...

Consider an Opalec NewBeam module in a Minim*g. They go around 8 hours regulated, and many many hours at reduced output.

http://www.opalec.com/

Otherwise, what others have been telling you seem pretty good. X5 and UK Eled the most!

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mags_suk said:
If you want a floodlight for close range lighting the BadBoy 400Q is good for you, if you want a medium range light, the MadMax R2H.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did thread searches on some of these keywords, but the threads are full of people speaking a language I don't know yet. I gather there are mods involved, and expensive custom/semi-custom lights, and that's about all I was able to glean. They seem to pre-suppose a high level of familiarity with the subject matter.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mr_Dead said:
[ QUOTE ]
mags_suk said:
If you want a floodlight for close range lighting the BadBoy 400Q is good for you, if you want a medium range light, the MadMax R2H.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did thread searches on some of these keywords, but the threads are full of people speaking a language I don't know yet. I gather there are mods involved, and expensive custom/semi-custom lights, and that's about all I was able to glean. They seem to pre-suppose a high level of familiarity with the subject matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your proposed runtime is accurate (8 hours or so), then that and your price constraints are gonna narrow the field down VERY quickly

The runtime leaves out most surefire lights and most incandescent lights (except for a few big "D" size lights).

The price leaves out surefire.

The runtime leaves out all sandwiches for the minimag.

Really, the only lights I can think of that meet the price and runtime specs are:
1) opalec retrofit for the minimag (10 hours, 2 aa cells, regulated output, 3leds)
2) eternalight (3 aa cells, 4 leds, non regulated output but lithium cells can help this a LOT, 10+ hours)
3) some simple direct drive led lights (3 aa cells and 2-3 leds, non regulated output, decently bright for only first 1-2 hours)
4) some keychains lights will last that long (gerber infinity ultra), but the level of light is too low
5) uk 4aa el3d (waterproof, shockproof, 10 hours regulated output on alkaline cells, 15 hours on lithium cells, best $20 light out there)

Someone should volunteer to send you an eternalight to try.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
>>then that and your price constraints are gonna narrow the field down VERY quickly<<

As I said in the first post, feel free to ignore my personal price constraints. I could never stick to a budget for emergency gear anyway, and even if I choose not to spend that kind of money myself, I wouldn't mind knowing what's out there.

My guess is that LED tech is in enough of a state of flux right now that a lot of these lights will be pretty obsolete in a few years, which affects my willingness to consider a $200+ purchase.. but, if you need it in the meantime, you need it. There's no putting a price on weapons or emergency gear when they're really needed.