Everyone who rides a subway needs to EDC a light

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
Re: Everyone who rides a subway needs to EDC a lig

If it was me, I'd buy a Peak Matterhorn (AAA) Ultra, which I have, or the new Arc rev4 premium, which I understand compares well, load a lithium battery into it then tuck it into my pocket and forget it was there, using something else for my edc needs.

The problem with emergencies is that they're, well, unexpected and you don't really know what you'll be facing until you do. The problem with relying on your edc for use in emergency situation is that you really have no way to keep track of where you are in the battery lifecycle, and according to Murphy, the emergency that will require 3-4 hours of light is going to happen when you've been meaning to get around to changing the battery for the last month or two /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

The two lights I mentioned are identical in size and weight, and both so small that they disappear in your pocket. Peak recently and with little fanfare did a major upgrade to the Matterhorn, I've got one of the new ones and can attest that it has a solid 30+feet of throw. Flashlightreviews hasn't tested the new one yet, but the Arc on lithiums give almost full brightness for almost 4 hours, and significant light after that. I'd expect the Peak to be in the ballpark.

Be nice to meet unexpected dark and disaster knowing you had that kind of illumination capability in your pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sarius-

I could not agree more about the Peak. My 3 LED Ultra pocket body is in my coin pocket all the time. Time will tell whether the ARC Premium (on order) will replace it as it relaced my Streamlight Key-Mate.

Although this thread has wandered slightly, as they are inclined to do, pw's original point was some type of EDC for everyone including non flashlight people.

That is why I still would recommend a Photon Freedom or equivalent for keychain or purse so they always have it without having to think about it.

In my experience it is impossible to get the non-flashaholic to even think about selecting a light or lights for EDC, let alone actually carry one.

In a blackout or other emergency if most people had as much as some type of squeezy light it would make a huge difference.

Mark

Sarius

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Flash_Gordon said:

In a blackout or other emergency if most people had as much as some type of squeezy light it would make a huge difference.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN Brother! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I nearly drove my wife insane with my insistence on having LED based, Lithium battery powered, lights in the cars and on our persons. She would humor me though sometimes with a little annoyance when I'd ask to borrow her pocketbook light (because she knew I was just checking to see if it was present and functional).

The annoyance came to an abrupt halt last week when a transformer in her building went -FOOM- and took out all the power (including the emergency backup lights). They weren't sure if there was a fire as well so they evacuated her building (She's on the 9'th floor) and when I got home she told me how GLAD she was to have her light with her that day so she could see in the stairwell.

NightLite

Newly Enlightened

After the incident 2 weeks ago, I EDC at least 2 lights or even three if I carry my bag, QIII, E2D for breaking the window and G2 for strong throw! My partner now carries QIII and Mag AA.

Nightwatch

Newly Enlightened

I EDC a Streamlight NF2 and a Photon Freedom nearly everywhere. I've also been trying to get friends and famliy to start EDCing some sort of small light.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tw4 with R123 has been riding in my pocket since I got it

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
zespectre said:
The annoyance came to an abrupt halt last week when a transformer in her building went -FOOM- and took out all the power (including the emergency backup lights). They weren't sure if there was a fire as well so they evacuated her building (She's on the 9'th floor) and when I got home she told me how GLAD she was to have her light with her that day so she could see in the stairwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT story! Thanks for sharing that, and glad to see that she was prepared as well as "enlightened." Hopefully she was able to help others through the darkened stairway also.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
NightLite said:
After the incident 2 weeks ago, I EDC at least 2 lights or even three if I carry my bag, QIII, E2D for breaking the window and G2 for strong throw! My partner now carries QIII and Mag AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. Great to hear this! Spread the good word. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

A minim*g is WAY better than nothing!

But a nicely focused and switched with a Kroll or something and some writeright on the lense it's even more usefull!

I have a few 2AA lights with Liths and Writeright scattered about here!

Sarius

Newly Enlightened

I would also point out that in an emergency, you can't assume that anything not securely attached to your body will be available. In the dark, surrounded by panicked people, it would be very easy to become separated from a bag. Even a backpack can not be assured to be available.

By all means, carry something good in your briefcase or purse, and hopefully it'll do some good. But, as I indicated, I would have a quality light with a fresh lithium battery in my pocket also. I figure if I end up wandering pantsless in a dark tunnel, I've probably got problems that no flashlight is going to solve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

RayT

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
Equally important: spare batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will disagree with that. Carrying loose batteries is never a good idea as they can short with the keys or other items in the pocket. Putting the batteries in a case adds to the bulk. You also have to be concerned with changing batteries in the dark. Some lights such as the Photon, are not easily done. Others such as the ARC-AAA can be easily done. But what if you drop a crictical component? Finding that part in the dark may become very real problem.

If you are in a situation where it is going to take more than an hour to navigate out, you are better off to just sit and wait for rescue. For sitting you do not need a light.

I have been in large buildings where the power failed and the emergency lights failed to respond. It was a church sanctuary with about 600 people in the place. In a totally dark room it is amazing how much light a small LED flashlight will produce. It was enough to guide people to the exits. (The emergency lights have since been fixed.)

Anyway, a good LED light should provide enough power for at least an hour. Even with a low battery you can still get some useable light.

Carrying two lights is much better solution than carrying spare batteries if you are really paranoid. At a minimum carry a small light that uses common batteries (AAA, or AA) that provide a long shelf life. Even after 5 years the batteries are probably still usable in an LED light.

The lithium lights are good but can be bulky. The real advantage is the exceptionally long shelf life. But is that worth the bulk and the possibility that you may leave the light at home?

The ARC-AAA (the new model) is, in my opinion, one of the better lights for emergency use. It is small so it can be easily and unobtrusively carried in the pocket, long life from the battery that is easily replaced and is cheap, and reasonably bright for mobility purposes.

And it goes beyond just inside buildings and tunnels. I boat a lot on the lakes around here. The ARC-AAA can be seen a mile away at night. A flashing light will attract attention and possibly summon help when needed.

You can also attract attention on the road at night and possibly avoid other problems. A flashing light attracts attention.

So carrying a small light of some kind (LED recommended) is just a matter of common sense. With the technology of today in lights finding a good compact pocket light is easy. All it takes is one incident where a small light source can make a difference to really drive this home.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I was happy that my wife had her light, I've also been trying very hard not to gloat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened

RayT makes some good points. It kind of reminds me of what handgunners call the "New York Reload." I think Jim Cirillo coined the term. The New York Reload is basically just carrying a second handgun because it is faster and easier (read less complicated, less fine motor skills) to transition to a new gun than to reload the first one.

This could apply to lights as well. However, if you have a proper carrier for your spare batteries, it certainly seems like a good idea to carry them. Also, even if you are carrying spares, a secondary light will come in handy for illumination while changing the batteries in your primary.

Redundancy is good thing for handguns and lights. Clint Smith says that with lights "one is none and two is one."

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

hehehe
Those of us who were caught in the subway last blackout learned tha. I got lucky, and my train was in Times Square station. My first thought was "which flashlight should I use?" (I was carrying 3, as usual)

Ended up pulling the ARC LS out of the backpack to give me more light, and stood at the top of the steps from the platform so I could light the way for other folks (the traincar itself had emergency lighting)

The one MISTAKE I made was I had light sticks with me, and I should have left some on the steps behind me when I did leave the station

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the Gladius good enough for EDC ? I order it last week. I am waiting for it.