• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Exotic Wood Mini-Mags, additional offering

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wall thickness of the Mini-Mag is .060 inch. I turn that down leaving the wall thickness on the body at .030 inch. The wood covering is then turned down leaving it .030 inch. The two halves have to fit together perfectly, with this fit, the glue line is invisible. Darker woods are a little more forgiving. The picture gives a good idea of the process.

close.jpg

The two body halves are clamped together at the same time as the two head halves. All the lights are made from one solid piece of wood, When I assemble these, the wood grain pattern lines up when the light is turned off.

I want to add a little about these lights.

I had to repair my dishwasher the other day. One of the tools I used was the first wood mini I made. It fell a few times on the floor, it got wet, (not submerged in water) I dried it off and all is well.

The wood on these lights had been treated with wood sealer, and then lacquered, they are not waterproof. Like any finished wood product, if they are left wet, the wood will discolor and get a haze to it. Once the wood dries it is usually fine.

The wood is softer than the anodized aluminum that the Maglites are made of. If the wood is hit with a sharp object, or the corner of something it will most likely dent. The wood has been epoxied to the aluminum and should be pretty stable.

Wood and Heat is not a good combination. Heat can cause the remaining moisture in the wood to evaporate. This can cause the wood to crack. All the wood I used has been dried and under normal circumstances there should be no problems. I would not leave one of these in the glove box in a car.

These all work and require a little extra care, but not too much, just be careful with them...

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
WOW, I did not realize these were clamshell assembly. Is there a reason that you cannot make them as a single tubular sleeve that would slide over one end of remaining aluminum, glue, then finish wood lathe while on light? (I know nothing about what you have tried and perfected, so this is more of a "beginner's curiosity.") That must be a razor thin cut in the clamshell for it to not show when glued. Impressive.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not do a tube. I would have to remove the anodize where the tailcap goes in. The threading, inside the body, takes off to much material to remove .030 inch on the outside. I could have pressed in a new end, but here again, there is not enough material left to do that. The groove starts about .100 inch away from the end of the threading on the inside.

sanseiryu

Newly Enlightened
I use wood sealer on the wood, that enhances the 3D quality - It is like you are looking into the wood. Hard to describe in words.

this is the Koa on gray
gray.jpg

Cocobolo on copper, Koa on copper
copper.jpg

When I showed my wife the Koa on Gray you made for me, she said it looked like those Tiger Eye gemstones, which is a very good description. Dang, that Koa on Copper is beautiful.:broke:
George

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Will,

You've captured my imagination.

What colour hosts are available with cocobolo?
Love this timber, it's a joy to use on my Millers Falls hand drill.

Don't suppose there's any chance of a Lignum Vitae version...

By the way, what is "Blackwood" in America? Over here, it's a wattle, but yours is clearly a different timber.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
What colour hosts are available with cocobolo?

Don't suppose there's any chance of a Lignum Vitae version...

By the way, what is "Blackwood" in America?

I can get the 'standard' mini-mag colors - red, gray, silver, black, blue,

there are also some collector colors available from Action-lights - orange, midnight blue. These would be an additional $10.
( note - I just checked Action-Lights there are fewer colors available now. )

I can order wood - Lignum Vitae is available, I do not have any here,

African Blackwood is similar to ebony, black to dark brown, It has a little more grain than ebony. It is described here - this is one place I purchase wood.

http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/order_African_blackwood.htm

Nebula

Enlightened
I have a couple of these, and can highly recommend them. Excellent build quality :thumbsup:, and they make very nice gifts.

Phil - I have bronze, midnight blue, dark green and purple original MMs available from my stash. What woods would you suggest for these colors?

Thanks.

Kirk

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorites are Koa and Cocobolo on the bronze color. I wish I could find more bronze mini-mags. The silver and gray look good with any kind of wood. The darker mini-mags, I think look good with the lighter wood colors.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the two African Blackwood mini-mags for sale - see post number 1 in this thread. These are already made up .

Ledean

Enlightened
Beautiful work will.
I guess these are the only exotic wooden finish maglights available anywhere.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
some additional finished work - ( that really is HOT PINK )

The two Blackwood lights are still available - see post number one

enjoy..

finished.jpg

Last edited:

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Just received a Koa on Copper light today. It's great. The beauty of the wood and the quality of the workmanship far exceeded my expectations.

:twothumbs

Kudos to Will.

KLC

Newly Enlightened
I also received two exotic wood Mini-Mags today as well. A Koa on Copper and a Mango on Copper. The lights came out beautiful! Excellent work! :thumbsup:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump for the two Blackwood lights...

still available...

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
paypal received - in the mail later today

thanks

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have the one on the right available. That is blackwood on a gray mini-mag.

blackwood.jpg