EXTREMELY Rare Lights... Let's See Them!

Original_Copy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all.

Jonwkng is correct. It is a two tone Mokume Gane that has been heat treated to where the copper turned grey and the nickel turned gold. Fred at Photon Fanatic did an awesome job. I'm still trying to figure out what color trits to drop in it.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very nice. Trit colors can be so hard to choose. Not to mention, you have one of those lights that probably looks totally different in person. Pictures likely don't do it justice, and it looks awesome in the pictures, I can't imagine in person!

By looking at the pics, I might choose a yellow or a orange, maybe a yellow and white mix? Or go rad, Purple & green mix!

I would be proud to own that light sir.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Speaking of Fred's mokume gane, my one custom etched MG light in CR2 format, shown with some of my Damascus. The big one is a Mr. Bulk Damascus chameleon recently acquired from mcbrat:

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
A rare Art Steigerwald "The Sphere" bronze light, sometimes called the "Captain Nemo" light in AA format:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
A TnC green marble acrylic with a quad mule drop in from Vinh:

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
It does work, using an AA size battery. As to whether it's modable, I don't think the electronics are potted, so unless there's some other reason I don't know of, I think it probably is.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I've never looked though so I can't be sure, but you're probably right. I'm traveling and away from home for a few weeks otherwise I'd go take a look.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn´t there just a dropin inside the Cap.Nemo? That´s how I remembered it but I might be wrong though.

Eric

It uses a modified Malkoff drop-in - I suspect due to fitment. One can probably coax another to fit with the right mechanical persuasion. :)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Well, it's basically a shelf queen due to its rarity. Once in a great while I'll put in an AA and turn it on briefly, maybe once a year, but usually I just handle and admire it a bit and then put it away. Some months ago I photographed it with the rest of my bronze and brass light collection.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Magellan- I agonized over that Capt. Nemo when they were up for sale. Definitely a Malkoff, definitely a very unique light!!! Dibs, please... :)