Eznite : 10W HID Torch made by Jillite _ coming shortly

Patriot

Flashaholic
Patriot, were you using the 900 mah Tenergy's or the 750's?

Being that the WA ballast output is dependent on input voltage, does the 4 primaries setup (14.8 Nominal Volts) in the pack yield a brighter light (initially) than the 4-pack of 3.0's (12 Volts) or do the primaries immediately sag to a voltage below the 4-pack of 3.0 Volt cells?

Mac or someone, what is the maximum input voltage the ballast and/or lamp will handle?

Mac kinda already covered everything. I'm using these:
http://batteryjunction.com/rc390reliba.html and yes, they're "900mah." The rechargeables yield brighter light because of the additional voltage. There is also less fade at the bottom edge of the corona with the 4 x 3.0V RCRs. After about 25 minutes though there is virtually no difference in the appearance of the beam vs. primaries. I like the convenience of the 3.0V RCRs though and I don't feel like I'm hammering the ballast as with 4 x 3.7V RCRs, although as Mac stated it sounds like at least one person is getting away with it. I wasn't quite that brave. :)

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I ordered some 3 Volt 123's and a charger so I'll go this route. It's on its way!

Excellent BVH! I think you'll be pleased with that arrangement.

Have you had your EZnite for a while or did you just get one through Warren?

BVH

Flashaholic
EZ arrived today! Very, very nice craftsmanship! I was away for the day but managed to fire it up at 9:30 tonight both with the primaries and the rechargeables/dummy. Not sure I could tell the difference in a quick visual test. The lamp needs collimating which looks fairly easy to do. I'm impressed! I'll bring it along on our HID shoot on May 10.

Patriot

Flashaholic
EZ arrived today! Very, very nice craftsmanship! I was away for the day but managed to fire it up at 9:30 tonight both with the primaries and the rechargeables/dummy. Not sure I could tell the difference in a quick visual test. The lamp needs collimating which looks fairly easy to do. I'm impressed! I'll bring it along on our HID shoot on May 10.

Congrats! I"m glad to hear that it arrived quickly and safely. I'm looking forward to you HID shoot because we always get some great beamshots.

Usual group of lumen fanatics I suppose...? Wish I could be there for it.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am most interested as well. While I have an EZnite and other HIDs with which to compare it, I still am most interested in your beam shots--my little point and shoot camera just isn't up to the task it seems.

Karl

BVH

Flashaholic
All the credit for the shots goes to Mtbkndad. He's the camera man. I'm simply along to help lug the hardware up that hill! Well, and to add my opinions and observations, too. This time, we'll hopefully have Jetskimark and maybe Mr. Ted Bear along if all our schedules work out.

Border

Newly Enlightened
Oh well, I guess nobody saw any interest in comparing the craftmanship of the Eznite with those of Microfire or Wolf-Eyes. :whistle:

I just went ahead and ordered me an Eznite from Warren. No need to complicate things. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Oh well, I guess nobody saw any interest in comparing the craftmanship of the Eznite with those of Microfire or Wolf-Eyes. :whistle:

I just went ahead and ordered me an Eznite from Warren. No need to complicate things. :)

Good choice Border!

There is a big difference in the reflectors first of all. The T-II light is quite a bit larger, the T-III is also larger and only uses 3 primaries instead of 4 like the Eznite. The machining is good on the Microfires but the Eznite machining is extraordinary to the level of a custom light. The EZnite bulb and ballast are also as good as it gets in HID.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is no comparison. All the import 10w lights copied the WA Solarc system and none of them even remotely have the same quality as the original.

I have heard of Dozens of failures from the imported lights yet out of the 100+ HID's I have built I have not had one lamp or Ballast failure. WA 10W Ballasts and Lamps are built to last.

Mac

Border

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for supporting my decision.

:paypal:

I have been drooling over this fine piece of torch for a long time. It will be my first illumination tool in this price range, but probably not the last. Hanging around on CPF has proven to be quite contagious...

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The WA ballast I use is not regulated, so if I apply higher voltage, the bulb operates at higher wattage.
At the Welch Allyn site various graphs can be found in which you can see the relation between the input-voltage and the output-wattage of the various ballast-setups. Ofcource, overdrive is not recomended by WA and so voids warranty.

About the Eznite: The only thing I can already tell you is: If you don't mind it's not waterproof (only waterresistant..) and the 15sec startup..

BUY IT !!!!!!!!!!

Tho it will definitely run better with the upcomming (regulated??) regargable option, I'm already very impressed by the performance of the Eznite!

Regards,

Ra.

Sorry to drag up an old thread. So the ballast is different than the EZnite's? Is it ok if I ask how much you're over-driving by?
Also I wonder if anyone with an eznite has tried running them with AW's IMR cells yet?
This is really cool stuff, I never thought HIDs would appeal to me, but it seems like all the advancements in LED lately are primarily increasing die size to improve efficiency and output. Surface brightness seems to have taken a back seat to efficiency.:sigh:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sorry to drag up an old thread. So the ballast is different than the EZnite's? Is it ok if I ask how much you're over-driving by?
Also I wonder if anyone with an eznite has tried running them with AW's IMR cells yet?
This is really cool stuff, I never thought HIDs would appeal to me, but it seems like all the advancements in LED lately are primarily increasing die size to improve efficiency and output. Surface brightness seems to have taken a back seat to efficiency.:sigh:

Same ballast as the EZnite. The EZnite is the same light that's being discussed in this thread.

The Solarc ballast is very robust and can easily handle 3 x li-ion or IMR cells. The problem with IMR cells is that you would loose too much capacity and the run-time would be poor. If you're going to run 3 x li-ion 4.2V cells you will need to run with a dummy cell in the fourth slot.

With this particular light I'm using 4 x 3.0V li-ion rechargeable from Battery Junction. He's now selling the LiFePO4 version of that cell which has a bit less capacity and the previous LiCo Tenergy.

Probably the best option for the Jil EZnite is the rechargeable pack since it doubles the run-time.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=193972

If you're just getting into HID I'd probably suggest looking at some other lights in the 24/25W range. With LED's being so efficient now the 10W HID just doesn't have any advantage except for throw. As HID wattage increases, so does effciency, which means you'll get more lumens per watt as you go higher.

With LED, it isn't so much that they're increasing die size because actually they've been making the die smaller, as in the case of the MC-E. They're multiplying the dies to make multi-die emmitters, which has the side effect of lowering surface brightness (due to thermal issues) as compared to the single die R2.

Regarding LED surface brightness, it's soon going to increase with the latest offering from Cree. This will be a single die but 30-40% brighter iirc. I can't remember when that's going to be released but it's probably before the end of the year.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same ballast as the EZnite. The EZnite is the same light that's being discussed in this thread.

The Solarc ballast is very robust and can easily handle 3 x li-ion or IMR cells. The problem with IMR cells is that you would loose too much capacity and the run-time would be poor. If you're going to run 3 x li-ion 4.2V cells you will need to run with a dummy cell in the fourth slot.

With this particular light I'm using 4 x 3.0V li-ion rechargeable from Battery Junction. He's now selling the LiFePO4 version of that cell which has a bit less capacity and the previous LiCo Tenergy.

Probably the best option for the Jil EZnite is the rechargeable pack since it doubles the run-time.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=193972

If you're just getting into HID I'd probably suggest looking at some other lights in the 24/25W range. With LED's being so efficient now the 10W HID just doesn't have any advantage except for throw. As HID wattage increases, so does effciency, which means you'll get more lumens per watt as you go higher.

With LED, it isn't so much that they're increasing die size because actually they've been making the die smaller, as in the case of the MC-E. They're multiplying the dies to make multi-die emmitters, which has the side effect of lowering surface brightness (due to thermal issues) as compared to the single die R2.

Regarding LED surface brightness, it's soon going to increase with the latest offering from Cree. This will be a single die but 30-40% brighter iirc. I can't remember when that's going to be released but it's probably before the end of the year.

I'm mostly interested in throw. The new cree xp-g and luminus sst-50 should be interesting, I especially want to see them behind and asphere.
But I'm mostly interested in a 14w ballast and bulb, for making multi die power without all the flood. I've been toying around with the idea of a cutdowm D cell mag tube without a head using the 14 w balast, and this mr11 bulb, run off three IMR 16340 with a tailswitch. I guess the idea is something very small. The size of some of the 24/25 watt lights doesn't appeal to me.

Too crazy perhaps? I've been thinking of some more work-a-day things as well, like a standard two D on 3 c cell l-ion with the 14 watt ballast, or perhaps just purchasing an ez-nite.

How do other lights, like a mag hid mod compare to the ez-nites focusing ability?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm mostly interested in throw. The new cree xp-g and luminus sst-50 should be interesting, I especially want to see them behind and asphere.
But I'm mostly interested in a 14w ballast and bulb, for making multi die power without all the flood. I've been toying around with the idea of a cutdowm D cell mag tube without a head using the 14 w balast, and this mr11 bulb, run off three IMR 16340 with a tailswitch. I guess the idea is something very small. The size of some of the 24/25 watt lights doesn't appeal to me.

Too crazy perhaps? I've been thinking of some more work-a-day things as well, like a standard two D on 3 c cell l-ion with the 14 watt ballast, or perhaps just purchasing an ez-nite.

How do other lights, like a mag hid mod compare to the ez-nites focusing ability?

Well, what you're describing is essentially a Mac's mini-mini HID which was a 10W Solarc running off of 3 x li-ions, in a cut-down 1D. The difference would be that you're using the 14W ballast. Mac has also built 14W lights, I just don't think any of them were mini-mini's. Regarding the IMR cells they wouldn't be necessary unless you just really wanted to use them. After owning the mini-mini, I think the 3 x 17670 light is a far more practical arrangement since it more than doubles the run-time. That's a just a prefference though.

MacMiniHID015.jpg

Even with that 6 degree reflector you're still going to have substantial spill light. The only why around this is with a TIR or aspheric, neither of which will work well with HID.

The maglight can also be focussed on an Z axis, just not and X, Y, Z, axis. The EZnite allows the beam to be collimated to a very precise pin point but it's relatively small, probably close to 1 degree. The problem is that only a very small portion of the overall output is focused within that 1 degree and the rest goes into the rather large corona and spill. In that regard the aspheric LED produces a larger "hot spot" but most of the total output goes into that spot.

With regards to differences in the reflectors themselves the EZnite is using a Polarion, electroformed reflector, which is precisely dimentioned and uses aluminum based coatings, which are about 90% efficient vs. 76-83% for rhodium. It's very efficient at getting lumens out the front and CPF member Ra measured his at 180,000 candela I believe. Sorry for the vagueness, it's just that I'm reaching way back in memory for that figure.

There is a case to be made for either light but since Mac is now using the 14W ballast it would have obvious advantages. :)

EDIT: I found the Ra thread. The hot spot is 1 degree and it's actually 200,000+ CP.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/168608

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I know you don't want a big light Ryan but did you know the Boxer was about the same size as the M6? That 1500 lumens for nearly an hour of run is pretty impressive for something that size. It also throws better than any multi-reflectored, quad-die customs, including LED Zeppelin's tri-P7 creation.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Patriot, I might bug Mac to see if he'll build my weird mini-14-watt-*******-light. I wish I could find beam profiles for that bulb/reflector combo though. I suppose I should see what cs at WA is up to.

On the subject of TIR, I thought you might enjoy this.
http://www.carclo-optics.com/Web-Shop-Downloads.70.0.html
I was talking to Curt at Peak, he said something about maybe making a light using this and one of the new k2's. This sucker can pull a 3 deg beam supposedly. Plus instant on.

Here are some old threads I managed to dredge up about it and it's smaller 50mm brother.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206524

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/48131

While at carlco I also noticed they have a section up for the Luminus sst-90...:popcorn:
EDIT: Sorry, I guess from carlcos site you'd need to go to the webshop->luxeon->other optics-> 60mm. I guess cut and paste does not work with their site. The thing looks a bit like a mix between a tir and a mirror system I'd expect to see in a telescope. Also suprisingly shallow. Somehow I know you'll be the first in AZ to have one of these mounted to your ma deuce.:devil:

Last edited: