Favorite Buget light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm having a hard time getting my mind wrapped around olight as a budget light. They certainly fit the price range...but they make some pretty solid items.

Budget lights are getting good!!!
I agree with you. I think that "Budget" has a somewhat negative connotation, more similar to "cheap crap" than average or high end. Perhaps Budget, should be synonymous with "value" and mean lower than average cost, (of other lights in a similar category, such as size, or battery) they might be expected to come with some trade-offs.

It's hard to put a dollar amount on "budget" although to some... a flashlight is just a flashlight, and so anything over $10 is exorbitant.

Let's take an example,
1. dollar store 3 led 2D cell flashlight $1.50... cheap, but holds batteries, tail stands and shines 20-30 lumens for hours and hours.

2. Rayovac PR2 style LED 2D cell @ walmart $2.00 with batteries. bluish tint, rings in beam, but holds batteries and shines 20-30 lumens for hours and hours.

3. Rayovac LED 2D cell with 5 LEDs with a non focusing lens that makes for a nice broad hot spot $8

4. 2D - 3D Maglight with a quality LED one or two modes... $30
5. 2D rayovac indestructible with a quality LED 2 modes... $30
6. 2D 3D defiant with a quality LED 1 or 2 mode flashlight .. $30

So now the question is, is #3 at $8 mid-range, or budget?
many of the defiants are listed as budget, yet they appear from the above sampling that they are "high end"

I don't know... it's all confusing to me. :crazy:

Creekster

Newly Enlightened
I have a nitecore tube on its way so maybe that will be my favorite budget light...

preetlove

Newly Enlightened
Here are the list of cheap and impressive lighting:
1. Schoolhouse Electric ( The Ion C-Series)
2. CB2 (The cloche Table Lamp)
3. JCP ( The charlotte Green Ceramic table lamp)
4. Urban Outfitters (Caged Pendant Lamp)
5. Habitat ( The Bobby Metal Floor Lamp)
6. Dyke and Dean ( Flat Green Enamel Shade)
7. Lamps Plus Open Box ( Euro Haroldi Chrome Pendant)
8. NUD Collection (A classic pendant)
9. Urban Cottage Industries (Red Angled Cone enamel lightshade)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gearbest has something it calls the SK68 on a black-Friday sale for $1.99. Another SK68 goes on sale Monday for the same price.

Who knows whether these are genuine SiPiK or genuine anything. I ordered one, but only because I have never tried the SK68 before. At this price, I can handle poor tint and a ring-laden beam. The only thing that worries me is that the flashlight may break if I actually turn it on.

I'm hoping to get one of the good ones, but...

I did not bother with a tracking number or insurance on this one!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some may say "$30!?! that aint a budget light!"

But the Bushnell 20223 is a pretty good light for $30. And it's $15 little brother the 20149 is a rugged low lumen flooder that is replacing my Coast HP 1 as the left pocket light.

^^ dynamic duo there

^^ Each comes with a removable pocket clip.
I removed 'em.

^^ added a lanyard to the 223.
(fitting model # for this one)

With clip removed the 149 disappears in your pocket.

^^ I considered key chain-ing it.
Just too heavy for that though.

Would I have paid $45 for these 2 lights? No. But I found a twin pack at sprawl mart for $30.

^^ shown so folks can easily spot it in the forest of lesser quality products littering the flashlight row.

Would I buy each separately now? You betcha.

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
@KeepingItLight: I bought a pair of the Gearbest branded ones. They seem decent enough. Accept li-ion, focusing is holding together, one of the switches fell out but was easy to throw back in. I haven't ordered any of the others, so it's still up in the air though.
@bykfixer: Let us know how well it holds up to the rigors of pocket carry. :D

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@KeepingItLight: I bought a pair of the Gearbest branded ones. They seem decent enough. Accept li-ion, focusing is holding together, one of the switches fell out but was easy to throw back in. I haven't ordered any of the others, so it's still up in the air though. :D

By setting the bar low, I hope to be pleasantly surprised by my GearBest SK68!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Eveready 1D flashlights that look like the old 2D flashlights. The kids love them and I can put whatever crap battery I like in them (I use adapters for AAA, AA, and C cells). They're 2 for $5-$6 at HomeDepot or Lowes. They are a huge improvement over the original 1D Everready which simply put a PR bulb in their traditional reflector (beam was terrible and the PR bulb was easily damaged).

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite budget light is this 2x AAA Bushnell that I picked up at Walmart for about $20.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My favorite budget light is this 2x AAA Bushnell that I picked up at Walmart for about $20.

^^ I just found one similar in a twin pack with that one and a larger one for $30.

The one you show is a goody. Good Score!
The one in the twin pack was a 1aaa though.

This my new favorite budget light.
Found it buried in a crevice in my pickup today and Nite Ize'd it.

^^ you can go back if you wanna see orange.

$8 at the depot home, plus a junky ole D cell light

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
bykfixer, I saw the twin pack a couple days ago, looks like a good deal. Have you tried a 16650 in the cr123 light?
These lights have good build quality and the forward clickie has a good feel and response.

I have the 1x aaa as well, I ran it on an alkaline battery for about five hours but it was pretty dim after 1:45.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have not tried any rechargeables in it Walker.

Matter of fact the only rechargeables I own are eneloops and some Nite Core RCR 123's at this time. Bought them for a G2 that has a double L Malkoff drop in because they match the yellow n black light.

But I do have an i4 charger tucked away for the day I finally take the rechargeable plunge.

fishx65

Enlightened
I like my Convoy C8 - dedomed the LED and you get a nice and budget thrower.

I just got the C-8 and it's really really nice!!! I went for the XML T6 4C and love the warmer tint. Think I paid around $14.00 for it.

TheMocoMan

Newly Enlightened
Hands down my most used "budget" light is the Energizer® Tactical 185 Lumens from Target. Excellent quality, good throw, uses AA batteries, lanyard, what's not to like. Goes for around $23 bucks I guess.
Only con is 1 mode. ON. 185 is too bright for up close work but great for what fell behind the couch, etc. :)

xafGjUz.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ crap...wish you hadn't shown that.

I'm seriously trying to avoid anymore lights until Jan 1...and was going by Target to get the wife's Christmas present today...

Oh well...

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm liking the DQG Tiny III as a mod host for small triples. Here's one I completed last week. It is dinged up because I made this out of leftover parts from an earlier mod. I dinged it up fruitlessly trying to remove the head. Eventually, I just did the mod without removing the head.

Entire light with an Efest 35a flat top installed is 87mm long x 29mm wide at the head.

The pictures show the external heatsink I added around the head. This helps absorb some of the heat while also insulating the hand from the hottest part of the head.

I used the original switch plunger in another mod. The copper plunger visible in the picture is the replacement I made from sheet copper. Around the plunger is a nickel plated brass washer that protects the light from accidental pocket activation.

The light is currently equipped with a FET e-switch driver with moppydrv firmware from Mountain Electronics. Emitters are triple XPL HI 5000K.

Currently set to mode group 7, which gives the following ouputs:
* moonlight
* 30% power - 930 lumens for 55 minutes. However as this is a FET driver, output isn't regulated and declines as voltage goes down.
* 100% power - 3100 lumens for 10 seconds followed by 1550 lumens. Again output declines as voltage drops.

I really like Moppydrv firmware as it has 16 user programmable mode groups and a user programmable turbo timer with gradual rampdown to 50%.

At full power this pill-less light gets excessively hot incredibly fast. If I wanted longer runtimes at turbo I'd have to place something over the top of the head and switch to help insulate the fingers (perhaps Duracoat paint, or maybe make a rubber cover out of Sugru moldable glue).

Last edited: