Favorite User Interface

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
just bought few switches\pots for my future builds, love them, can't believe I had no idea such existed, it is a potentiometer with pull out\on, push in\off.

very simple ui, pull knob out, light comes on, turn the knob for brightness adjust 0-100, push back in, light shuts off.

however it is next to useless for regular\tubular shape flashlights.

Last edited:

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
About my dream of perfect user interface.. Just two side electronic switches.
One should turn on the flashlight when slightly pressed(this switch must be recessed ),if you keep holding it it should act as a momentary (as on Hds ).when on this switch must cycle through different modes in the increasing order and to turn off this switch must be pressed and hold on for 1 sec.
The other mode button should not be recessed.
The other mode button should change the modes in the decreasing order.This switch also should provide a short cut to moon light mode when it's pressed and hold on from off position.Moon light should be absent from the regular mode selecting path.
Double click any mode switch to access highest mode irrespective of flashlight being on or off and triple click for strobe .

This would be my most favourite UI if any manufacturer do so.
Currently my favourite UI is that of HDS rotary and of my zebralight sc52.

Last edited:

twin63

Newly Enlightened
My favorite UI is the Foursevens Quark Pro interface. My first quality light was a 4Sevens Quark AA back in 2009. The interface is what I'm used to, plus it's nearly perfect for my needs.

Runner up would be the UI on my HDS EDC 120. I've never re-programmed it. The factory-set modes work great for me.

desmobob

Enlightened
My new favorite is the tail switch and forward ring control on my Jetbeam RRT0 SE.

My previous two "good" flashlights were (are) the Nitecore Smart PD D10 and D20. I love those lights, but always seem to struggle with the control, plus, I have to leave the tail cap partially unscrewed to prevent battery drain.

My new RRT0 SE (one of the best birthday presents ever!) is very simple to use. I just picked up the Xtar MP2 charger and a couple of spare Optronic 700mah RCR123 cells to go with it.

My EDC is a Fenix LOD. I actually don't mind the forward twisty control on this one, except for the fact that pocket pressure can sometimes activate the light (with occasionally humorous consequences).

Take it easy,
Bob

Shaquanda

Newly Enlightened
For my Tacticool the old P6 push or twist one setting on! For the everyday flashlight anything but twist the bezel or multi click the tail cap. Ie, dial separate
switch etc.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite UI is the Foursevens Quark Pro interface. My first quality light was a 4Sevens Quark AA back in 2009. The interface is what I'm used to, plus it's nearly perfect for my needs.

Runner up would be the UI on my HDS EDC 120. I've never re-programmed it. The factory-set modes work great for me.

My two favorites as well - momentary max from ON (any lower mode in use) is my all time favorite UI feature..... and very rare. The HDS has the programmability advantage, but I set up their mode spacing/UI to be pretty much the same. Quark has the efficiency and battery versatility advantage.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Although the HDS Rotary is my present favorite, I think the standard Clicky still stands as my personal favorite.

Not as quickly tunable, but four modes will cover most anything you need and give sudden access to a wide range of output variance in a predictable, and user chosen fashion.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I like my HDS rotary UI, I still find that the Surefire LX2 and EB1 Tactical is my favorite UI. Soft press for low and press harder you get max output.

markr6

Flashaholic
Zebralight for me. I really wish I could get into other brands but this one is just the best. Immediately start in low, high, and easy enough to get into medium as well. Enough programmability to be useful without being too complicated. All models (somewhat) share this UI, so once you get used to it you're set.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Within in just the last few posts we've chosen UI's ranging from ones with no learning curve to ones requiring active participation by the user to even access all functions. I own lights with all of the major listed UI's and find it also enjoyable to use some of my lesser favorite UI's, and not only just to spend a bit of time with some of the other excellent lights I have, but also chosen depending on what I'm planning on doing with them on a given day.

Doesn't happen often anymore, but I'll still grab one of my Surefire's, more often than not the E1L and its perfected dual modes, and then from time to time the E2E/E1e combination, which being single mode lights just don't get any easier.

I'll always admire my Zebralights and innovative UI they've given us, especially when they also allowed us to customize high, medium and low levels on the fly, but try as I may, one of the CPF favorite UI's has kept itself mostly present in my collection as lights I like, but don't tend to carry.
It can be tempting to suggest that only flashaholics would ever be dedicated enough to internalize the Zebralight UI, but I have one friend who while not a flashholic, is a technology lover and he absolutely fell for the SC52w as his favorite and because he spent the requisite time to learn it, likes it over any other light I've shown him. Still, they do require time to teach proper command execution to the hand and I see them as a risky light to carry in any situation requiring that high never be turned on with any but the most practiced of users.

We all have to determine what light will fill the needs of the moment and the UI's I immediately reach for when going out with photographers in the dark are ones that allow no possibility of accidental high activation, meaning my good old V10R Ti, TC-R1, memory activated HDS Clicky or Rotary.

None of these UI's mentioned in the entire thread deserve the title of best for all users, but they all definitely earn the title of best for specific users, or specific usages.

desmobob

Enlightened
I LOVE Zebralight's interface for its programmability and layout. It's my favorite so far.

I really like Thrunite's UI which allows easy mode switching and retains a firefly and strobe mode, but keeps them out of the main mode cycling.

I really like my Jetbeam RRT-0 SE's UI with the tail clicky and mode ring.

I like the simple twisty modes on my Fenix LOD and the tail clicky+mode button interface of my UC35, too. The two separate switch arrangement controlling the flood and spot beams on my Fenix HP25 headlamp is pretty darn handy, as well.

And how could you not just love the simple interface on the good ol' SureFire 6P? ;)

I think the only UI that I never really warmed up to is the one on my NiteCore Smart PD D10 and D20 lights with the ramping brightness level.

Take it easy,
Bob

GearHunter

Enlightened
Very interesting thread.
I enjoy seeing what others need/use/want. For me the best UI is HDS because it's also MY UI. I've found that leaving it in customize mode the UI is fluid and can be what I want/need at any given time. Changing from moon-low-med-high to high-moon -strobe-med to only momentary high can be done in under 2 mins on the fly when ever needed.
I don't think I could go back to what a manufacture decides is best for me or to having to decide which light to carry for a given day/event....Henry calls them "EDC" because they truly are!
Sorry if I sound like a fanboy, but....

MountainKing

Newly Enlightened
The Quark Pro has a very interesting mode but is not a forward clicky.
Moonlight, low, med, high. Twist head for Turbo. NO Memory. So awesome.

Zebralight. Same as the Quark Pro. No memory for on/off. Instant moonlight/turbo and 6 configurable outputs.

masterP

Newly Enlightened
surefire single mode twist on, twist off. press for momentary

nothing to break, foolproof, simple. one step

least favorite? anything you need to twist or click through every single mode just to get some decent light

if it takes you 7 steps to get where you're going, there's something terribly wrong

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
least favorite? anything you need to twist or click through every single mode just to get some decent light

if it takes you 7 steps to get where you're going, there's something terribly wrong
That's one of the greatest things about McGizmo memory, always back on using the last mode chosen.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
A slightly modified DriverVNX2 - with support for hidden first mode and momentary.

<CutPasteFromVinhUI>
User Interface:

• From OFF: A quick tap switches the light on in the previously used mode. (Last mode memory effect)
  • From ON: A quick tap switches the light off
  • From ON: A press&hold cycles through the modes in the selected mode group
  • From OFF: A press&hold from switches the light on in the first mode of the selected group. (No last mode memory effect)
  • From ON or OFF: A double-tap activate the hidden mode.
</CutPasteFromVinhUI>

Hidden first mode: Make the first mode in the group hidden, for example like the O-Light Baton UI. To me, this complication only makes sense when the first mode is moonlight, so it should perhaps be configurable.

Momentary: Since double-click advances to the last mode, make double-click-and-hold be a momentary version of that, where releasing the button reverts back to the level you were at (including if the light were off).

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
Alternatively, the OLight S30 UI has exactly the DriverVNX2 UI, with the "hidden first mode" complication included. (Obviously it does not have configurable levels). With that specific model, the side switch should really be more recessed (a la Zebralight), and the leveling IMO is not good. Add momentary turbo via double-click-and-hold too, and it would be great.

Leveling
Instead of:
(1) > 20 > 100 > 600 > (1000)

I would prefer either of the following
(.1) > 5 > 30 > 200 > (1000) // 3 main modes ("low"-"med"-"high")
(.1) > 15 > 200 > (1000) // 2 main modes ("indoor"-"outdoor")

Momentary turbo (and strobe!)
The problem with the UI as-is is that while it allows for instant access (from both off and on) to turbo, it actually takes some time to "get back" to whatever level you were at. Momentary strobe support is less important, since triple-click does not advance the mode, but it would be nice. Last comment on momentary: I really like the "smart forward clicky" that O-Light has in the M22 and M18 Maverick. It's quite elegant - the first press gets the memorized mode and the second press always gets turbo, and never interferes with the first mode memorized. Achieving something similar with either the DriverVNX2 or the S30 UI would be a nice addition, and would be intuitive. (It is unfortunate that the M18 Maverick does not have a moonlight level.)