feeler thread: 6AA>2D adapters, prototype completed...

Face

Enlightened
Re: interest thread ... High-Current 3AA>1D adapters that screw together

I'm in as well, for a reasonable cost!

aussiebuddha

Enlightened

mate, why dont you just mod an existing adapter to make it series instead of parallel?

mdocod

Flashaholic

Since the center's hollowed out now is there any chance of a 4aa adaptor?

actually I'm still tinkering on that design, having worked with the plastic I'm reverting back to my original design in the sketchup drawing. I could probably do a 4AA adapter but it would not screw together, isn't enough material for the strength required for that to work. My goal for now is a working, reliable, low resistance 3AA that screws end-to-end with others... when I get this working, I will probably start tinkering with other designs and see what I can do. A 4AA design may be doable but I might look into sinking a magnet into the head so the units will "hold" together for pack charging...

mdocod

Flashaholic

changed the thread title and included an update in the first post. Decided to go for 6AA>2D adapters instead. These will be much more feasible with off-the-shelf fasteners, and also much more sturdy with thicker end-caps and more length. I will also be able to sell them at a lower price than 2 3AA>1D adapters would have been.

I've got some prototyping pictures to share. I've been working on this round the clock since conception. Feels slow going, but I'm getting closer.

100_2595.jpg

100_2593.jpg

100_2592.jpg

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks good. Happy prototyping. The way that the holder envelopes the cells looks like it would offer good protection if you were ever to drop the adapter fully loaded. It will also increase the structural rigidity of the host flashlight if it were ever crushed.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Re: interest thread ... High-Current 6AA>2D adapters

Nice work !

I, for one, am very happy with yer' decision
to make them 6AA>2D adapters.

Let us know when we can place our orders !

:grin2:

_

Bushman5

Enlightened

use copper rivets for the battery contacts

100_2593.jpg

copper rivet:

rivetBurrBtn.jpg

KingGlamis

Banned

Definitely a potential customer here. Keep the info and pics coming.

mdocod

Flashaholic

I'm working on a design for 8AA>2D, 9AA>3D, 12AA>3D, 12AA>4D, 16AA>4D, in-fact, everything up to 24AA>6D.... It's all on paper at the moment, But I have the beginnings of the designs figured out, I'll start prototyping these after I get some 6AA>2Ds moving. I've decided to make this a business venture.

kurni

Enlightened

I'm working on a design for 8AA>2D, 9AA>3D, 12AA>3D, 12AA>4D, 16AA>4D, in-fact, everything up to 24AA>6D

I would stay away from any 4AA>1D holders. This might work for alkalines but there is no way eneloop can use this holder. I tried to fit 4 eneloop together (without any holder) in a black 6D M@g without any success. I am very interested in 18AA>6D but not 24AA>6D.

Good luck with your business venture.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any guess on when some of the 6AA>2Ds will be available? Have you thought about price yet? :poke:

I almost have all the parts for my ROP...everything but the bulbs (on the way) and battery adapters. I'm getting excited! :naughty:

mdocod

Flashaholic

last I checked, fivemega DOES have some 6AA adapters available now, so if you can't wait for these I'm not going to hold anyone to em.

But my plan is to offer a middle of the road price point.

On the cheap, you can buy litemania style adapters (3AA>D) for a few dollars each plus a few bucks for shipping.

I'm trying to offer a product a step up from there, where you get better cell contact, and lower resistance throughout, but without a charging jack... (however, I will include charging leads that will hookup pretty easily) I will also be including the allen driver in the size required to dissemble the pack for initial loading of cells. (not everyone has a lot of allen drives around the house)

This is the first I have spoken of price so I'm going to throw out a ballpark, it still depends on a few things....

Price on a 6AA>2D adapter will probably be in the ballpark of $20-30 and that will include shipping/handling. I'm working hard to keep the design as simple as possible to keep price down. If I can come up with a method to do it for cheaper and maintain performance I'll do it. I want to make mods like the ROP even more accessible and more affordable.

kurni

Enlightened

Please keep us up to date with your progress; I like the idea of being able to stack the modules; I don't care about the ability to charge them inside the holder. It would be nice to be able to disassemble the batts easily; as I prefer to charge them individually. How about encapsulating only 1/2 of the batts; rely on M@g body to hold them together? It might not work with 6D config, but for 2D it would be easy to hold the batts while sliding the holder in.

Anyway, just a thought :)

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just ordered a couple of cheapie Litemania 3AA to 1D adapters just for the sake of speed...but will likely still buy a 6AA to 2D from you when they're ready. :thumbsup:

mdocod

Flashaholic

100_2618.jpg

100_2617.jpg

100_2613.jpg

This is a working prototype, it's definitely rough around the edges, but it does work as intended.

More kinks to work out yet, but it's getting closer.. One thing interesting about this design, is that, you can really clamp down on the cells, the threads on the screws that hold the end-plates on do not strip out of the plastic as easily as I thought they might (good thing)... but it means that with the torque you can apply to the socket drive screw, you can actually damage the ends of your cells if you aren't careful. I will be switching the design to use a flat headed screw for contact surfaces to help spread out the load more (used button top for the prototype)...

I am currently using this prototype in a 2D (pictured) with a mag 6 cell xenon with no issues... During the assembly of the pack, I accidentally installed an end-cap in the wrong orientation and had the cells shorted out in the carrier for about 20-30 seconds before I noticed some major heat.. The plastic did not melt, the contacts and everything remained intact with no perceivable damage, suggesting that the pack will be able to handle heated situations.

I need to slim down the design, overall, I'm too big in every possible direction, It's way too snug in the mag body, and the length is over by at least 5mm at this time (but the mag does screw down all the way even with the extra length, end up with a tighter spring, which may be a good thing for those using it in a 2D mag, but wouldn't be stackable in a 4D with this excess length.)

[edit in 10-25] I put the pack on my RC pack charger and cranked it up to 4 amps, no problem charging at this rate, contacts only rose in temp with the cells themselves, pack charged without a hitch.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I mentioned it above but I've blabbed on so much in this thread it's probably a bear to read through...

Plan at this time is to get the price into the $20-30 range, that will include shipping, charging leads, and a 5/64s allen drive wrench for the user to dissemble the pack to load it up... I need to check on the cost of shipping and figure what kinda time it takes to make one once I get in the flow of things... don't want to be making less than minimum wage, lol..

Still have kinks to work out but had a few more breakthroughs on how to ease the construction of these... I've got some plastic rod samples coming in tomorrow via UPS to try out.... The main "hold-up" now is finding rod stock that is actually the right size.

Funny how things work out.... I've been piddling along around 20-30 hours a week at my "part time" job for months, recovering from a back injury, my back starts to get better a few weeks ago and my manager decides he needs me working 40+ hours a week all the sudden... so my back has been back to extreme soreness, and my time is heavily consumed by work... I was *hoping* to keep my schedule "part time" so I would have plenty of time to devote to this project... not turning out as planned, everything is coming along slower than anticipated. Back hurts.. I'll post an update as soon as I have some meaningful advancements, right now I'm gun-ho and want to make these things a reality.