feeler thread: 6AA>2D adapters, prototype completed...

Valolammas

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your back, hope it will get better soon!

Anyway, I'm interested in these holders, too, especially if they are in the $20-30 range. But I'm not in any hurry, so take your time.

mdocod

Flashaholic
well, looks like Acetal Delrin will be the material, it comes in the right size, and is darned strong, takes to threading well, and holds those threads very very well, with this material, the pack could be dissembled and re-assembled probably hundreds of times before anything would wear out.

Bushman5

Enlightened
i'm interested, and as per your first post, can i still throw fruit at ya? :nana:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to mdocod --

Take care of yer' Back.

Nothing else is that important !

(guess how i know ?)

:wave:

_

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
i have been looking for ALL KINDS of adapters like this.... mostly for modding for remote controls cars and stuff but flashlights would be perfect... lemme know if you get this off the ground, or see if you can send me your blueprints and such.... i'm interested and willing to pay if they aren't too expensive... thx!

mdocod

Flashaholic
Figure I should toss in an update:
I am intending on ordering supplies to do a "run" in the coming week. I decided I needed a decent cut-off saw to get more consistent results, so decided to wait till black friday to buy a 15 amp miter saw from lowes, on sale only $60. (Picked up some mags @$10 each to give as gifts while I was there!)

Goal is to have some units ready to go in December. Can't make any promises though!

Last edited:

horizonseeker

Enlightened
one thing i've noticed from my 3aa-D tray is that some of them will require magnets on the positive end because it doesn't protrude far enough to make contact, just wanted to bring this to your attention for your project.

will be waiting to hear the announcement for sale.

Ares

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested in buying 2 to 8 of them, depending on the price!

Also, do you have any plans on making adapters with the individual AA cells wired in parallel instead of in a series? I know that is a bit boring for most of the folks on here, but I'm interested in those as well. Thanks!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in buying 2 to 8 of them, depending on the price!

Also, do you have any plans on making adapters with the individual AA cells wired in parallel instead of in a series? I know that is a bit boring for most of the folks on here, but I'm interested in those as well. Thanks!

Yeah I've asked MDOCD about doing parallel AA-to-D adapters too. I haven't gotten a response to my last message, but the initial responses I got from him sound like it's doable. Whether he will or not, he hasn't indicated to me. Since I've got a boatload of AA NiMH batteries, I want to use them in as many D-cell batteries that I own as possible. So while series connected adapters work great in Multi-Emitter or ROP Mags, I know parallel ones would also work great in single emitter and standard configurations. I hope he offers parallel adapters too as I would buy both kind if they're available.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello all
I'm going to try a different design before I start any sort of production, I'm having a really hard time on the drill press with these long drills, because the material isn't being removed equally on the bit (outer edge hangs over the edge of the rod stock)... so as the bit drives down, it isn't holding straight, play in the bits flexibility combined with whatever play is in the bearings is allowing the bit to run out of true as it works it's way down the cut, so the cell spacing top and bottom are not uniform. My drill press is reasonably large in size, so I'm amazed I'm having this much trouble.... but I am looking at a new design that would be less dependent on the press being so rigid, but it won't have the same "cell protecting" qualities as the original prototype.

Parallel or series packs really isn't a problem, I can make some quick changes to the design for either setup. I'll be starting with series wired packs, but I'll be sure to get some parallel packs on the table at some point. Parallel packs are actually a lot easier to make the end-caps for, so it's not that big of a deal.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all
I'm going to try a different design before I start any sort of production, I'm having a really hard time on the drill press with these long drills, because the material isn't being removed equally on the bit (outer edge hangs over the edge of the rod stock)... so as the bit drives down, it isn't holding straight, play in the bits flexibility combined with whatever play is in the bearings is allowing the bit to run out of true as it works it's way down the cut, so the cell spacing top and bottom are not uniform. My drill press is reasonably large in size, so I'm amazed I'm having this much trouble.... but I am looking at a new design that would be less dependent on the press being so rigid, but it won't have the same "cell protecting" qualities as the original prototype.

That can be frustrating. Hope you get that production kink worked out. As far as build quality goes, I think they'll still be a few notches up from the all plastic 3AA-to-1D series adapters that guys like Litemania sells.

Parallel or series packs really isn't a problem, I can make some quick changes to the design for either setup. I'll be starting with series wired packs, but I'll be sure to get some parallel packs on the table at some point. Parallel packs are actually a lot easier to make the end-caps for, so it's not that big of a deal.

Cool, please let us know when the parallel ones will be available and I will order both at the same time. Any chance you'll be making these modular (in 3AA-to-1D units) or will you be offering both 6AA-to-2D and 9AA-to-3D?

mdocod

Flashaholic
the 3AA>1D idea isn't very feasible in a strong package, it can be done with thin plastics, but isn't worth it in most cases.... I think I'll just go ahead and make 6AA, and eventually maybe 9AA and larger adapters.. If there is a demand for 3-4 cell carriers in a 1D length for cut down mags I might consider it, but in most cases the cut down mag is usually sold as a completed package that includes a carrier already.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having a really hard time on the drill press with these long drills, because the material isn't being removed equally on the bit (outer edge hangs over the edge of the rod stock)... so as the bit drives down, it isn't holding straight, play in the bits flexibility combined with whatever play is in the bearings is allowing the bit to run out of true as it works it's way down the cut, so the cell spacing top and bottom are not uniform. My drill press is reasonably large in size, so I'm amazed I'm having this much trouble....

In case you haven't already tried this, you could start out with a smaller pilot hole entirely inside the material, and then enlarge it to the final diameter in a second drilling? The pilot hole might help to keep the drill bit on track and stop it from veering off course?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to say I'd be very interested in the 6aa to 2D parallel units. I too have mostly AA's and would like to use them in my few D lights. The D cells I have don't get cycled nearly enough to keep them healthy and the use of parallel AA to D adapters would solve that problem. :thumbsup:

Dave

mdocod

Flashaholic
So here's the deal, I had to change the design, drill press just has too much slop for the design I wanted... The good news is that the new design is going to be easier to build, cheaper, and available in more sizes, building parallel versions will be even easier. (I have a working 9AA>3D prototype that I made to see if the design will work, it works great)....

Here's a link to the new thread discussing the new design and other important things:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182259