Fenix e-star mechanically charged emergency light?

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
light without battery? doomsday preppers' must-have? any opinions?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the troubled times of the moment and the worst ones to come it's no surprise that they made a tool like this.
Crank lights are often weak mechanics, this could be more reliable.
Any information on the price? I wouldn't buy it but I'm just curious what the cost is.

Edit: I found the cost, $ 36.95

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for crank lights - you learn something new every day

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to Amazon and write "hand crank light" there is a great choice..including lanterns (hand crank lantern)
But because of my difficulties with English I did not express myself well, it is not right to define this Fenix as one crank lights.
Its mechanism is certainly more comfortable and reliable than a crank, reminds me of the old Soviet torches from the 70s.

Attachments

• soviet.png
    soviet.png
    315.3 KB · Views: 92

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I've had my eye on this light soon as I heard about it. I dont think it's to bad. i'm pretty sure you can put a rechargeable battery in it and recharge it by cranking it or just a regular AA battery. Where are they for sale now?

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my eye on this light soon as I heard about it. I dont think it's to bad. i'm pretty sure you can put a rechargeable battery in it and recharge it by cranking it or just a regular AA battery. Where are they for sale now?
On pre-order at Fenix store

scout24

Flashaholic
Looks like you can install a regular AA. Your supplied nimh will usb-c charge, or the hand pump charges a capacitor.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I saw that. What happens if your using a regular old AA and you crank it? Will it try to charge the battery?? That won't work out real well 😁

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
If you go to Amazon and write "hand crank light" there is a great choice..including lanterns (hand crank lantern)
But because of my difficulties with English I did not express myself well, it is not right to define this Fenix as one crank lights.
Its mechanism is certainly more comfortable and reliable than a crank, reminds me of the old Soviet torches from the 70s.
full metal casing? nice

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
I saw that. What happens if your using a regular old AA and you crank it? Will it try to charge the battery?? That won't work out real well 😁
Probably won't. The power output from your hand motion is as unstable as it gets, not to mention its power level. Probably aren't enough to charge the battery, if not destroy it.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I dare say --

Won't really CHARGE a rechargeable AA,
unless you devote 24 hours to do so . . . .

< just my wild guess >

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Crank and shake lights evolved to LEDs with rechargeable solutions after failing to be much more than a toy using incans. I grew up loving these lights because simply put I couldn't afford to feed incan lights this small batteries all the
time. When white 5mm LEDs hit the market I'd already abandoned mech lights and when the LEDs showed they could operate at very low power levels and still put out usable light that was the game change as incans back then you could get about 2 hours or so on a #222 bulb using 2AA alkaleaks before the light started drooping to orange/red nothingness. With 3AA and a resistor light that theoretically should give you 3 hours at the same light level a couple of parallel 5mm LEDs could run up to about 20 hours at higher levels to start with and drop to sub lumen useful levels near the end.
With todays high capacity lithium ion cells, LEDs 5-8 times more efficient and drivers that have multiple output levels you can get a lot more lumen hours out of them such that mech lights cannot compete. Unless you only have a chance to have a single light with nothing else a good battery light with additional batteries and a rechargeable setup with external charging solutions and extra batteries wins over getting a repetitive motion injury wiggling lumens out of a mech light for hours even days before you toss it in a box somewhere so you can ignore it till the next garage sale.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I dare say --

Won't really CHARGE a rechargeable AA,
unless you devote 24 hours to do so . . . .

< just my wild guess >
It states you can. That's why I'm confused. I mean trying to recharge a non rechargeable at all is bad.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Crank and shake lights evolved to LEDs with rechargeable solutions after failing to be much more than a toy using incans. I grew up loving these lights because simply put I couldn't afford to feed incan lights this small batteries all the
time. When white 5mm LEDs hit the market I'd already abandoned mech lights and when the LEDs showed they could operate at very low power levels and still put out usable light that was the game change as incans back then you could get about 2 hours or so on a #222 bulb using 2AA alkaleaks before the light started drooping to orange/red nothingness. With 3AA and a resistor light that theoretically should give you 3 hours at the same light level a couple of parallel 5mm LEDs could run up to about 20 hours at higher levels to start with and drop to sub lumen useful levels near the end.
With todays high capacity lithium ion cells, LEDs 5-8 times more efficient and drivers that have multiple output levels you can get a lot more lumen hours out of them such that mech lights cannot compete. Unless you only have a chance to have a single light with nothing else a good battery light with additional batteries and a rechargeable setup with external charging solutions and extra batteries wins over getting a repetitive motion injury wiggling lumens out of a mech light for hours even days before you toss it in a box somewhere so you can ignore it till the next garage sale.
Absolutely agree. But, still it's cool😁

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Absolutely agree. But, still it's cool😁
Absolutely cool. Reminds me of the presents I got from my aunts when I was a kid.... cool but not really useful or that fun. I think I still have a credit card gizmo somewhere in a box that I never used and a handy dandy dial-o-matic dog polisher.