Fenix e-star mechanically charged emergency light?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm thinking to recharge a single AA 2000mah eneloop you would have to crank it enough to demolish 8700 lemons in a blender.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of crank lights in general. They are awkward to use and take a lot of energy that you will likely need to use for other things in an emergency. The only one type that kind of works is the Nowlight which comes from ideas from the Gravity light, which is no longer made.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not a fan of crank lights in general. They are awkward to use and take a lot of energy that you will likely need to use for other things in an emergency. The only one type that kind of works is the Nowlight which comes from ideas from the Gravity light, which is no longer made.
I would like to know how much power this crank light can put out per minute and see how much cranking is needed to recharge an eneloop or an 18650. I bet it takes several hours for a 2000mah eneloop.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nowlight uses more of a pull chain than a crank. You attach the light to something sturdy and pull the plastic cord continuously (It loops around a generator). It has a 3200 mAh 3.2 volt lithium iron phosphate built in battery. Has 6 brightness settings from 5 to 160 lumens of floodlight. Can also be charged with 5 volt USB (1.3A max.) Can charge devices with USB (1A output). It's not cheap, $120. Has extra accessory lights and solar panel available for higher cost.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The Nowlight uses more of a pull chain than a crank. You attach the light to something sturdy and pull the plastic cord continuously (It loops around a generator). It has a 3200 mAh 3.2 volt lithium iron phosphate built in battery. Has 6 brightness settings from 5 to 160 lumens of floodlight. Can also be charged with 5 volt USB (1.3A max.) Can charge devices with USB (1A output). It's not cheap, $120. Has extra accessory lights and solar panel available for higher cost.
Interesting..... but I think a solar setup and a non mech light using an 18650 would be a better investment at a cheaper cost. Unless you need a solar cell to charge other things for the cost of the solar panel setup you can just add more 18650s in your kit.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting..... but I think a solar setup and a non mech light using an 18650 would be a better investment at a cheaper cost. Unless you need a solar cell to charge other things for the cost of the solar panel setup you can just add more 18650s in your kit.
Agreed. I just think the Nowlight has a better, more efficient mechanical advantage setup compared to a crank light. You can get a Nowlight with a solar panel, but yes there are cheaper solar lights. For camping and backpacking, I'm pretty content with a Luci Lux Pro solar lantern that can charge a phone in an emergency. I think the Nowlight does have utility during extreme events as it doesn't require the sun to charge. It can be used in winter storms, in caves, or in bomb shelters during a nuclear war. Though in those extremes, I would never want to have to depend on one single light. I'd still want backup lights and batteries for contingencies. Nitecore HC60 v.2 headlight with a Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar panel would be my go to for regular use if we're talking 18650 solar setup.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree.
I don't like tools with a built-in solar panel, it rarely really works and when it does the performance is ridiculous.
Better a real solar panel that you know will give you what you need when you need it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
the runtimes sound pretty good with the included 1300 mah cell. Throw a Eneloop 2500mah in it and you should just about double it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Agreed. I just think the Nowlight has a better, more efficient mechanical advantage setup compared to a crank light. You can get a Nowlight with a solar panel, but yes there are cheaper solar lights. For camping and backpacking, I'm pretty content with a Luci Lux Pro solar lantern that can charge a phone in an emergency. I think the Nowlight does have utility during extreme events as it doesn't require the sun to charge. It can be used in winter storms, in caves, or in bomb shelters during a nuclear war. Though in those extremes, I would never want to have to depend on one single light. I'd still want backup lights and batteries for contingencies. Nitecore HC60 v.2 headlight with a Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar panel would be my go to for regular use if we're talking 18650 solar setup.
I'm not for solar lights or even watches myself rather I would go for a separate solar charger setup and have normal lights and if you need extra batteries extra budget lights that can be locked out are a good choice as they are not a lot larger than the battery and better at protecting it. To be honest however for the price of a good solar setup you can simply buy even more batteries and make sure to have a USB charger for them either in the light or separate or USB batteries. In all the outages I've been in, there was always a car in the driveway that had enough gas and a charged battery in it to last for weeks. I went through a 4.5 day outage in 2007 using AA nimh in a lantern and flashlight charging about 16 batteries in my car at the time some while driving to the store to buy ice and food.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't buy this flashlight as I don't need it but I think Fenix did a good job for a particular product like this.
It may be the right thing for some non_flashaolics people or for humanitarian organizations that buy many pieces to donate after a disaster where there will be no power grid for a long time.
Even for some remote place where there is no energy and a lot of poverty this article is ideal, no charging problems, no batteries to buy for a long time, you just need a good arm muscle.
It will be nice to read a review of this E-Star

Latest posts