Fenix E01

N_N_R

Enlightened
Well, okay, I got my supposedly new version, but I really can't tell any difference between the two. Maybe I have actually bought the new version, too, last year, without realizing it and now that I asked the retailer, perhaps he didn't really know what he was selling. On the new packaging it read 13 lumens, on their site it reads 13 lumens, 2014 edition... the price now is a bit lower than before, the one I got today came in a blister package and the one I had before came in a box.... all.. signs for an old vs new version of E01, yet I don't see difference.... as someone above stated, the brightness should've looked twice more and even if not twice more, at least a bit more. It's true now it's still broad daylight, so I'll wait for tonight, but I tested them in a dark room, anyway. Weird.

scout24

Flashaholic
McNair- You can complain about the price all you want, it's been one of Fenix's best sellers for years. And they just lowered the price!! :)

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I put my 5 yr old daughter to bed tonight I had my E01 and was using it as a little nightlight while we talked. She picked it up and was shining it on the ceiling and asked, "Where is the ball daddy?" I asked what she meant and she wondered where the "ball" in the light beam went on my flashlight. I told her that I had sanded the LED to make the beam smooth so my "ball" wasn't there anymore. She then asked if we could sand hers tomorrow so it was like mine. (She has a purple E01) Apparently my little flashaholic in the making likes a bloodier beam with no hotspot. LOL

Ah ha ha, that is GREAT!

N_N_R

Enlightened
Ok, I do have the brighter version, too, lol. It's just not that much brighter so it was hard to tell for me during the day. Now that I compared the beams on walls of different color, tried different batteries and so on, yeah, the new one's brighter and has a wider beam, I think? I can't take good pics, though.

1DaveN

Enlightened
McNair- You can complain about the price all you want, it's been one of Fenix's best sellers for years. And they just lowered the price!! :)

$11 with free shipping - that's inexpensive enough that I didn't bother comparing it to other lights. The bad news money-wise is that the E01 got me liking Fenix enough that I turned right around and got a couple of more expensive ones.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does not bother me as I think they are rubbish and out of date and I would not pay through the nose for one,would rather buy another Thrunite,one EO1 is more than enough for me.

nbp

Flashaholic
This morning at 20 hours my E01 was still going. Appears about 50% output. Will check again when I'm home later.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
Does not bother me as I think they are rubbish and out of date and I would not pay through the nose for one,would rather buy another Thrunite,one EO1 is more than enough for me.

-constantly questions why others buy something that he himself wouldn't
-still makes posts and comments that don't contribute to the thread at all
-no one is promoting HIM to buy it yet he is telling everyone not to buy it

Isn't this the definition of trolling? Is it not offensive that you come into a thread to bash a "rubbish" product in front over everyone who clearly likes it. Nothing wrong with disliking something and expressing one's opinion. But to indirectly tell people that they are behind the times and wasteful with their money is rude no?

N_N_R

Enlightened
-constantly questions why others buy something that he himself wouldn't
-still makes posts and comments that don't contribute to the thread at all
-no one is promoting HIM to buy it yet he is telling everyone not to buy it

Isn't this the definition of trolling? Is it not offensive that you come into a thread to bash a "rubbish" product in front over everyone who clearly likes it. Nothing wrong with disliking something and expressing one's opinion. But to indirectly tell people that they are behind the times and wasteful with their money is rude no?

But why do you even bother replying to him? He'll soon get bored and stop it, if you keep replying, he'll keep doing the same.

@mcnair55, if you don't like the light... why are you reading this thread ?! Is this some flashaholic form of masochism? :D

N_N_R

Enlightened
It has to be a very silly reason for some, but the first thing that got me into the E01 was the way it looked :D It's exactly how I picture the lights I love. The E01 was the first flashlight that started my light passion. I spent numerous hours watching YT vids about it in 2011 :D I mean, I might be even emotionally attached to it - I find the blue tint adorable, lol - it reminds me of my very first moments with a quality light... :D:D

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see Fenix hitting retail very soon as they seem to be very pro active at present across all ranges.They seriously will need to lower the price of the EO1 for retail as it is a stitch up price and certainly not worth the money as charged in the high mark up hobby side.

At $10 (in the US), it's competitive with the Maglite LED Solitaire, which would be their main competitor in the retail 1xAAA space. And, it's a far better light than the Maglite.

There's no way they are going to sell it for less than $10 retail. The margins are a lot less selling retail, as the retailer marks it up 100%. So, Fenix would only be selling it for $5 to the retailer.

The issue for me (in Canada), is that it's close to $30 (shipped, with taxes and exchange), not $10. I'd probably get one for $10, but no way is it worth $30.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This confirms my suspicions:

The New - Style of Fenix E01 does indeed draw higher battery current.

Well yes, that is the nature of the constant voltage circuit but trying to work out the relative efficiency still needs a tail cap draw.

I've just started a tail cap plot of the original E01 with an alkaline battery. I'm going to try and get the latest E01 (in the hope of a 570GS) and do the same so should be able to compare this.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
By rubbish do you mean god's gift to flashlight lovers??? :grin2:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well yes, that is the nature of the constant voltage circuit but trying to work out the relative efficiency still needs a tail cap draw.

I've just started a tail cap plot of the original E01 with an alkaline battery. I'm going to try and get the latest E01 (in the hope of a 570GS) and do the same so should be able to compare this.

Mr Floppy, I think I have one with the 570GS, I did the scratch mod with a steel wool pad and a SOS pad and it no longer has a purple tint. It is whiter than my Fenix P3D with Cree xre Q5 emitter. Beamshot coming up.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 is on the left and P3D Q5 on the right. The E01 was closer to the wall and the P3D Q5 was on low.

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened

Wow, I'm usually not a fan of purple and pink, but that one looks gorgeous!

And here are my two boring black guys :D The one with the lanyard is the new one, the other one is the.... old version, one-year-old almost... (like you can tell)