Fenix E01

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
But why do you even bother replying to him? He'll soon get bored and stop it, if you keep replying, he'll keep doing the same.

@mcnair55, if you don't like the light... why are you reading this thread ?! Is this some flashaholic form of masochism? :D

You miss the point entirely it must be our use of Queens English I think, as I have said the Fenix is a very fine and dependable rugged little light but in the year 2015 it is technically out of date and pure rubbish compared to the competition.By all means you and fellow members buy and enjoy them but I require technically better for my money.

I am reading here members sanding the light to achieve something it is not capable of out of a packet,sounds barmy to me.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I have said the Fenix is a very fine and dependable rugged little light but in the year 2015 it is technically out of date and pure rubbish compared to the competition...

Mr. mcnair55,

Could you please share an up-to-date competitor? I am genuinely curious as I don't know of any other single-AAA lights in this price bracket with this level of dependability and runtime.

Many thanks,
Grijon

nbp

Flashaholic
You miss the point entirely it must be our use of Queens English I think, as I have said the Fenix is a very fine and dependable rugged little light but in the year 2015 it is technically out of date and pure rubbish compared to the competition.By all means you and fellow members buy and enjoy them but I require technically better for my money.

I am reading here members sanding the light to achieve something it is not capable of out of a packet,sounds barmy to me.

Stupid phone. Screwed up my post. Grrr. Trying to fix...

Oh so now we can't understand our native tongue either? Hahaha.

Please start another thread with a discussion of non-rubbish AAA lights in the <$10 bracket with the same build quality and are "technically better" and I'm sure we will all pop in to check it out. I will. You keep saying they exist but I haven't seen any examples! :poke:

By the way, for runtime junkies, at 50 hours my new E01 is still going and more than enough for dark adapted navigating. It is blinding compared to the lowest setting on my T1A and bright enough to distinguish shirt colors in my closet.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, for runtime junkies, at 50 hours my new E01 is still going and more than enough for dark adapted navigating. It is blinding compared to the lowest setting on my T1A and bright enough to distinguish shirt colors in my closet.

Meh, when I tested out my Preon P0 (1xAAA light) with an Eneloop, it lasted well over 100 hours on moonlight, which gives plenty of light for dark-adapted navigating. I think all lights that have a moonlight mode would be considered "battery vampires". They all drain batteries down well below 1 volt, which is considered empty for alkalines and NiMH.

ryukin2000

Enlightened

50 hours! schmoley!! i'm on hour 21 only. using Energizer Alkaline. Comparing it to my Coast Mini tac AAA. same cell. its on hour 45. its sitting around 0.1 lumen. using my SC62w as a gauge. still usable in pitch black. Really surprised and impressed with the coast light so far. However would not endorse buying it as an EDC. It stopped working on the first day I bought it two years. Only pulled it out recently to garbage it but fiddled with the pcb board in the head and it lit up. Hot glued it in its "working" position. It's a solid light. Thick walls but its got a metal forward clicky that water can easily get in. i believe its a Nichia 5mm too.

Left:SC62w @0.06l setting. Fenix E01 @ 21 hours. Coast @ 45 hours. i started the runtime on the coast a day in advance. it's pulsing like crazy though. looks brighter in the pic but keep in mind that it has a very shiny reflector compared to the matte finish of the E01.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Meh, when I tested out my Preon P0 (1xAAA light) with an Eneloop, it lasted well over 100 hours on moonlight, which gives plenty of light for dark-adapted navigating. I think all lights that have a moonlight mode would be considered "battery vampires". They all drain batteries down well below 1 volt, which is considered empty for alkalines and NiMH.

Uhh, the E01 hasn't been in moonlight the whole time dude. It started at 13 lumens and has been well over a lumen for most of that time. If it was in moonlight the whole time, it probably would get way over 100 hrs too. Can't you guys go crap on another thread? We're trying to have fun here.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhh, the E01 hasn't been in moonlight the whole time dude. It started at 13 lumens and has been well over a lumen for most of that time. If it was in moonlight the whole time, it probably would get way over 100 hrs too. Can't you guys go crap on another thread? We're trying to have fun here.

Just pointing out that the efficiency isn't all that impressive. You're just running down an alkaline battery until it's dead. That's been done for decades, way back to old cheapo incandescent flashlights. Any moonlight-capable light (whether it's a dedicated mode or simply because of drained batteries) is capable of running for several days.

The "run over my E01 with a car" tests are far more impressive.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
I hate you.......now i want a preon too.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a preon and it was cool but it flickered like crazy in every battery I put in it. The massive flood is great and the moon mode was awesome but it seemed fragile especially after using an E01

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

scout24

Flashaholic
Walkintothe light- Did it. Ran over with my Tundra ten times, and then sat with it under the wheel for 10 minutes. The battery vampire runtimes just add to the complete package. Try that with your Preon... :) :p

PS- The Preon is a multi-level, power LED light that costs just a bit more than the Fenix. The only REAL competition without getting into exotic pricing was the Peak Matterhorn and the Arc AAA. Both long gone from a realistic standpoint, and both were several times the cost of the E01. I own both, even if they were replaceable I wouldn't subject either to the destructive abuse testing the EO1 has passed with flying colors. It's a fantastically reliable and rugged little light with runtimes that often double the claims from the manufacturer. It has been upgradedd in output and lowered in price. What the hell do you guys want? Show me the competition. Dare you. Double dog dare you. I tried replicating the E01 abuse testing out of my own pocket with an E05, and a single level ITP Eos four years ago. Neither made it past the first test. So, what do you have? Speak up, send me one to replicate all tests on, or let me know where to purchase one. Put up or shut up. All of ya! Not just WITL... :poke: :grouphug: And for god's sake, stop :dedhorse: unless you gonna put up.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walkintothe light- Did it. Ran over with my Tundra ten times, and then sat with it under the wheel for 10 minutes. The battery vampire runtimes just add to the complete package. Try that with your Preon... :) :p

Scout has abused the you-know-what out of two different E01s and they both just keep working. His tests have proved/confirmed the ruggedness this little $10 light. We all owe scout "thank you" for his work.

:twothumbs

Heck, I have Thrunites, 4/7 Preons, etc., and they are all fine for what they do. I didn't realize that this had turned into a comparison thread? I though we were just discussing the E01? Speaking for myself, the thread is a nice tribute to a proven design, refreshingly simple, rugged as can be, and reliable.

Cheap enough to keep multiples on hand, although 1 is probably enough.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the little Thrunite Ti, for example. And I've never run over one of them. And yes, they have a better emitter and multi modes for around the same price (or maybe a little bit more), but I've also had a few of them fail - switching mechanism is simple but fragile and I don't believe the housing could withstand the abuse that the E01 can. Haven't tested it - just my opinion. Again, I like the little light - I have a bunch of them around the house, used and new, and have given out (literally) dozens as gifts.

Haven't tried the Klarus nor the Sunwayman so I can't speak to them. I have 3 Preons so I can have some experience with them.

So for me it comes down to a simple question: if I had to choose one or two lights that based on absolute dependability and reliability, there are several candidates...McGizmo, HDS, etc. come to mind.

But for $10, I personally can't think of a better choice in that category. And as scout said, the battery run times are just an added attraction. And nbp, 50 hours is awesome. I got 44 out of mine and thought hat was good.

So with all due respect to those who find things not to like, please (as has already been suggested) start your own thread on your chosen little $10 lights that can do what this little light can do. We'll all enjoy reading them and adding to the discussion.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Scout24 --

I finally bought a Fenix E05 in July,
when they introduced the 3-brightness-level version, in Stainless Steel.

Recently also purchased a Purple aluminum E05, too.

I am Quite Impressed with these (2014 version) E05 lights. :thumbsup:

Did your E05 testing involve the Original version ?

Perhaps you could do a bit of your Torture-Testing
on the 2014 version !

( hint hint )

I would really like to know how Reliable & Durable they are.

Thank you for your efforts here.

scout24

Flashaholic
Burgess- Yes, an original E05, back when I did my first E01 torture test. Didn't like being tossed at the wall like the E01. :) Not sure they are potted, and the body tube was far thinner if I recall. Same with the Eos. Both were slimmer and lighter...

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most important thing relating to bomb-proof reliability is that this light is fully potted. When you stabilize all of the electronics, you have a winner.

Fully potted lights are few and far between.

I'm ordering a few more of these cockroaches.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burgess- Yes, an original E05, back when I did my first E01 torture test. Didn't like being tossed at the wall like the E01. :) Not sure they are potted, and the body tube was far thinner if I recall. Same with the Eos. Both were slimmer and lighter...

Thanks for for pushing the limits. Ive since lost my e05. I dropped it many times without a problem, so probably a nonissue for me anyway, but if I ever replace it I might make it an eo1 instead.. .Unless of course I find one of these superior gas station countertop versions of it first that I've been hearing so much about in this thread, that aren't as rubbishy & overpriced as the $10 e01.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Floppy, I think I have one with the 570GS, I did the scratch mod with a steel wool pad and a SOS pad and it no longer has a purple tint. It is whiter than my Fenix P3D with Cree xre Q5 emitter. Beamshot coming up.

I think you do have a 570GS. If I remember, I'll do some side by side beam shots tonight of the 500GS 510GS and 570GS.