Fenix E01

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
Rk-EKl-s-200x150.gif

Tell 'em Jon.... ;)

It sounds like the sofirm is a mighty fine little light that pleases a lot of folks. Same as a pair of New Balance walking shoes is more suited for standing all day than a pair of bedroom shoes.
Yet when a person enters a thread on a Honda forum and scoffs at the Civic, saying a BMW is better.... what's the take away?

Man, I am late to the party - again. I just went online to buy E01s for emergency kits I'm updating and got the bad news. I won't argue technical points, but will say that the E01 was the best basic light I've owned. Outlasted my ARC by a long time and the ARC was a good light too. BASIC, no frills, inexpensive, etc. Just the ticket for an emergency light that doesn't take up a bunch of space.

I've read through this thread and want to thank all for input because you saved me a bunch of trial and error/research, etc. I just ordered three sofirms and I'll see how that goes.

Thanks.

Jeff

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
I just scored a blue E01 and I'm totally excited for it. I've already got a 6+ year-old black one that's beat to hell and keeps on tickin'. Same goes for the purple one I keep in my daypack, actually.

Suffice to say, I'm very sad to see the E01 go.

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
I just scored a blue E01 and I'm totally excited for it. I've already got a 6+ year-old black one that's beat to hell and keeps on tickin'. Same goes for the purple one I keep in my daypack, actually.

Suffice to say, I'm very sad to see the E01 go.

GO, MAN! I may need to get out there and compete with you. I thought I bought three Sofirn C01s (meaning C01 x 3, not C01s) yesterday but this morning my money was refunded! Late to the party on that one too.

Jon,
Thanks for the assistance.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
After reading this one again I checked my usual sources for E01's and found they're either sold out or showing "2 left" at 3x the normal price.
I guess word got out that Fenix has discontinued the E01.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix E01 so long farewell

It has been a while since I've been on cpf but came back to say after 12 years, my first Fenix e01 has stopped working. Well, the head still works but it's not conducting. A battery leak and despite a lot of vinegar, it hasn't helped. Still doing what I can but head on another tube, fine. Tube on another head, doesn't work. I don't know what could have happened to the tube. Probes testing for continuity comes back fine so don't know what else to try. Anyway, the e01 head is being used in an AA host so it's not going to waste.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Can you pluck the spring out and clean that?

I had an old incan Streamlight Keymate be plaqued by alkaline ooze and eventually it worked again. The the spring tested ok with probes but after a good cleaning of that the light worked again.

And I used a drill bit shaped sheet of sandpaper inside the barrel that got it all shiney inside again.

My nightstand light is now an E05. I retired the E01 for notalgic reasons. The E05 does a good job without all the scuffing of the dome and reflector.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

It has been a while since I've been on cpf but came back to say after 12 years, my first Fenix e01 has stopped working. Well, the head still works but it's not conducting. A battery leak and despite a lot of vinegar, it hasn't helped. Still doing what I can but head on another tube, fine. Tube on another head, doesn't work. I don't know what could have happened to the tube. Probes testing for continuity comes back fine so don't know what else to try. Anyway, the e01 head is being used in an AA host so it's not going to waste.

Let it go on record that this E01 ceased to operate due to alkaleak error....not of design failure or use. :mecry:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

What AA host are you using with the E01 head? Any pictures to share? Thanks!

Burgess

Flashaholic

Yes, I'd like to know, also !

AA powering an E01 head would be
* AWESOME * !

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it was Valiant Concepts that made something like that in the past. Not sure if that is what Mr. Floppy has or if he has figured another way to rig it. Interested.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it was Valiant Concepts

yes:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...he-Fenix-E01&p=2759794&viewfull=1#post2759794
Like This...
AA body-tube with necked-down threaded section to mate with E01 head,
and a 'contact spring' to make electrical connection to the E01 head.
Battery replacement thru a threaded tail cap.
AATUBE.jpg

Heck, using this method, they could even make a "C-Cell E01", or a D-Cell version that'd run for years...if anybody was interested. :)

but
No
I don't think the ones by Rothrandir (Valiant) fit the Fenix ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...y-tube-for-Arc-AAA-flashlight-still-available

Flying Turtle--Thanks for providing that link!

Dealgrabber2002--no, it won't fit a Fenix E01. The threads on the head of the Fenix are slightly larger diameter than the Arc AAA.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

The plot thickens....
edit: thought I'd throw in a pic of my two boys. One for regular civilian use and one for low light special-ops. Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you pluck the spring out and clean that?

I did pluck it out and clean it. It seems to conduct ok but it's a little misshaped. I might see if I can find another spring, it's not looking very shiny. I haven't removed the spring from another e01 though as I didn't do the best job getting it out before but I should do it just to see if I mangled the spring somehow.

What AA host are you using with the E01 head? Any pictures to share? Thanks!

I'll try and post some pics. It's a plastic AA from Daiso (if you have one of these Japanese dollar shops in your country). It's very easy to take apart and it's cheap. Basically it's just the e01 head inside a bigger tube.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I managed to pick up a few more EO1's from a local store in Australia for AU$20 each. I've given away a lot of these guys over the years to friends and family, so these last ones are not getting gifted for any reason.

I do hope Fenix is going to make a replacement for it. I've got a couple of EO5's, but they're just not the same. The single mode bombproof design is just perfect for a small light.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I managed to pick up a few more EO1's from a local store in Australia for AU$20 each.

Yes, there are a few places that still has a lot of stock. Dusty packaging and all but not willing to part with them for a reasonable price...