Fenix E50 Review

kj2

Flashaholic
Oh it does? Nice. It must be below the light in the packaging. I've only seen a photo and it didn't look like it had one.

fad3f9.jpg
(Thanks to neverGUP)

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
So are you able to get the full output of 780 Lumens on one 18650? (albeit with lower run times)

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I was able to get full output but with lower run times using one 18650. Furthermore, the fenix manual thats comes in the package also states that. Ill post two beam pictures to prove this, one with one 18650 and another with two 18650. Just to be equal, Ill make sure the exposure, White balance, ISO, Aperture value, and 18650 (full charge) are equal to make sure a consistent critical photograph.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, to appeal to the common senses of those of us NON-department store buyers who prefer an ergonomically-correct switch, assuming the light is not a tactical light.

"Ergonomically correct" applies to more than just the hands.
A light should be held at the eye-level to reduce the incidence of unwanted off-angle shadowing, and also reduce spill-related iris reactions. Considering that it is a light and not a dog leash, the true ergonomically correct way to operate it is at eye-level, which also places the ergonomically correct switch location on the tail.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Ergonomically correct" applies to more than just the hands.
A light should be held at the eye-level to reduce the incidence of unwanted off-angle shadowing, and also reduce spill-related iris reactions. Considering that it is a light and not a dog leash, the true ergonomically correct way to operate it is at eye-level, which also places the ergonomically correct switch location on the tail.

No one holds a flashlight up their eye or at shoulder height with elbow bent for an extended period of time. It's fatiguing. Also I think a user is suceptible to more rays of light being reflected directly back into his or her eyes when the light is pretty much parallel with their line of sight. When you hold a light in a "casual" position at hip level your thumb is naturally already in position to turn the light on so to me that is really the most ergonomic form for a switch. Tactical tail clickies are nice, but not usually what I would consider the most ergonomic position. That position is dependent upon the body of the light also having good grip/knurling unlike when a switch is on the side of the light towards the head. My Fenix E40 is a good representation of this. It has a tail-clicky but the body is a bit "slick" because it is plastic so I don't consider the operation of turning it on the most ergonomic. It would probably be better with a side switch. (Still a great light though).

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I was able to get full output but with lower run times using one 18650. Furthermore, the fenix manual thats comes in the package also states that. Ill post two beam pictures to prove this, one with one 18650 and another with two 18650. Just to be equal, Ill make sure the exposure, White balance, ISO, Aperture value, and 18650 (full charge) are equal to make sure a consistent critical photograph.

Thanks you dont have to go to all that trouble I believe you I just wanted to know if it could or not.

I think one point isnt being considered here and thats the muliple tube extensions? Are you really going you hold it with your thumb at the back when you have a few extenders attached and the head is a foot from the button. That wouldnt be very ergonomic to be holding it at the back with such a long tube extending so far forward. Furthermore wouldnt the use you describe really only apply if you want to point it straight ahead and not for long period of time? Ergonomics of one or the other switch type would be entirely dependent as to how the user wants to use it. Im considering this light to replace a TK40 that I do a bit of animal spotlighting in trees. The switch at the back is of no benefit for this you have to use both hands to hold and change beam strength. When your pointing the light up at trees to have the light up over your shoulder trying to flex your wrist to get the light at near 90 degrees would be very awkward. So to if you were doing a longer walk or night hike to be holding your arm up for great lengths like that really isnt practical. Thats why you have those for tactical use and rear switches and those with a conventional for many other purposes. I have half a dozen or so lights and they all have rear switches and thats ok for the smaller ones by and large but I need something with a side switch, to be categorised as a department store user because I want a side switch for use in a way you may not use your light I think is perhaps not considering a number of different possibilities. Horses for courses as they say.

Eurard

Newly Enlightened
Always been a fan of the Fenix brand, have the TK45 myself, thanks for this looks like a great little light.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMFG.... Finally got mine after 2 weeks from Fenix Store.

I am impressed... very impressed. The thing is MUCH smaller than I anticipated in hand. And the weight is nice. It's got heft with 2 Fenix 18650's, but not overly heavy. It has a smooth swing weight to it. Seriously though--- in my opinion even though it's the E series it's really high quality.

I'll have to either post a mini review and/or pictures on the weekend.

tam17

Enlightened
I'm tempted by 1x18650 possibility (nice Mini version!), although it's not regulated in that configuration. Simple, beautiful aesthetics & amazing output, and it's just an E-series! I'm not so exhilarated about new Fenix side-switches, though.

Cheers

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived today and I am very happy with it. I never intended to use it at its full size but as a mini torch with the tube removed. I ask someone in this thread and as soon as they said it ran at full strength with only one battery I went ahead and got it. I wanted a light to replace my TK40. It just became a chore having to charge 8AA's and getting them in and out of the holder. I never liked the rear switch on it and the way you had to cycle through the modes. At full its brighter than the TK40 and its such a nice tiny light in the hand. The side switch I find quite nice actually it suits the way I hold the light although I am still getting used to it as I have to get it out of my brain to hold the switch to cycle through the brightness settings as when you do the same on the E50 you switch it off. The quick press cycle will be better for sure when I get used to it. This is my first neutral tint light and I quite like it. When I used the TK40 for caving it did have make the pristine white formations very blue so this should be better and much smaller and lighter to lug through caves. I like the simple design of the E series lights ive never liked the weird shapes and fins that most high range lights have. The E series lights are supposed to be the lower in the Fenix range but frankly ive never seen that the quality is first rate. Its the second E series I bought the first was an E20 and it was a simple 2 X AA light and it always seemed to be brighter than the 2 CR123 Fenix light I had which was weird because it was only rated at half. So the E series just keep surprising at their price point. The E50 cost me $65 including postage. I remember my TK40 was about $180 a few years back and simply the E50 is just better to handle, brighter and nicer tint and smaller light. $65 is bargain. Its a new model now so I expect it will be down to $50 in a number of months. My only wish would probably be the second brightness mode a bit over 100 rather than 74 but thats all personal taste but overall a very Good light and very happy with it.

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived today and I am very happy with it. I never intended to use it at its full size but as a mini torch with the tube removed. I ask someone in this thread and as soon as they said it ran at full strength with only one battery I went ahead and got it. I wanted a light to replace my TK40. It just became a chore having to charge 8AA's and getting them in and out of the holder. I never liked the rear switch on it and the way you had to cycle through the modes. At full its brighter than the TK40 and its such a nice tiny light in the hand. The side switch I find quite nice actually it suits the way I hold the light although I am still getting used to it as I have to get it out of my brain to hold the switch to cycle through the brightness settings as when you do the same on the E50 you switch it off. The quick press cycle will be better for sure when I get used to it. This is my first neutral tint light and I quite like it. When I used the TK40 for caving it did have make the pristine white formations very blue so this should be better and much smaller and lighter to lug through caves. I like the simple design of the E series lights ive never liked the weird shapes and fins that most high range lights have. The E series lights are supposed to be the lower in the Fenix range but frankly ive never seen that the quality is first rate. Its the second E series I bought the first was an E20 and it was a simple 2 X AA light and it always seemed to be brighter than the 2 CR123 Fenix light I had which was weird because it was only rated at half. So the E series just keep surprising at their price point. The E50 cost me $65 including postage. I remember my TK40 was about $180 a few years back and simply the E50 is just better to handle, brighter and nicer tint and smaller light. $65 is bargain. Its a new model now so I expect it will be down to $50 in a number of months. My only wish would probably be the second brightness mode a bit over 100 rather than 74 but thats all personal taste but overall a very Good light and very happy with it.

Well I am glad you like it. At first, I was skeptical before I bought it, and even when i got it, I was unsure on the screw thread's integrity as it isn't square edge. But after having it for some time (not much), I can say that this has been one of my best flashlight investments i had because it offers a neutral white light that is as bright as my tk41 with a much useful beam pattern and a compact size to boot. If Fenix will make an AA version of this, I'd get it in a heartbeat as it would be more economically sound because you can buy AA's at a great price anywhere, unlike CR123's and 18650's.

Last edited:

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
Well I am glad you like it. At first, I was skeptical before I bought it, and even when i got it, I was unsure on the screw thread's integrity as it isn't square edge. But after having it for some time (not much), I can say that this has been one of my best flashlight investments i had because it offers a neutral white light that is as bright as my tk41 with a much useful beam pattern and a compact size to boot. If Fenix will make an AA version of this, I'd get it in a heartbeat as it would be more economically sound because you can buy AA's at a great price anywhere, unlike CR123's and 18650's.

I totally agree with you if they offered this in an 4 X AA version I would get it in a heartbeat as well. Long before super LED lights I had Tekna 4 and it used to be a really bright light in its day and I loved the stumpy feel of it. This E50 with the single tube is the closest I have come to what I think an LED version of the Tekna 4 would be, and AA version would simply be it. Thats with the batteries all clustered together not 2 by 2 like the E40.

In one of the pictures on the Fenix website it shows the E50 with a diffuser. Anyone seen this accessory or know the model number of it?

Last edited:

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
I totally agree with you if they offered this in an 4 X AA version I would get it in a heartbeat as well. Long before super LED lights I had Tekna 4 and it used to be a really bright light in its day and I loved the stumpy feel of it. This E50 with the single tube is the closest I have come to what I think an LED version of the Tekna 4 would be, and AA version would simply be it. Thats with the batteries all clustered together not 2 by 2 like the E40.

In one of the pictures on the Fenix website it shows the E50 with a diffuser. Anyone seen this accessory or know the model number of it?

Based from the wbesite, it seems like the diffuser has no model but is just called white diffuser tip. It doesn't say whether it will fit the head of the e50 like the other diffusers do (others can't fit the 40mm head of the e50), so im not sure which diffuser of fenix you can use for the e50. O

Oh yea, on the topic of the quad 4 AA batteries, nitecore has a new model in the explorer series that they release quite resently that has 860 ansi lumens of output and runs on 4 AA's. It's called Nitecore EA4, and you can order one with a neutral white tint. Sadly, I can't get it cause the only store near my place that sells fine quality flashlights only sells Foursevens, LED lenser, Fenix, Olight, and Surefire's. I prefer in-store purchases (I'm old school) and don't plan to do online ones cause I'm afraid someone might hack my bank and steal everything!!

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
Based from the wbesite, it seems like the diffuser has no model but is just called white diffuser tip. It doesn't say whether it will fit the head of the e50 like the other diffusers do (others can't fit the 40mm head of the e50), so im not sure which diffuser of fenix you can use for the e50. O

Oh yea, on the topic of the quad 4 AA batteries, nitecore has a new model in the explorer series that they release quite resently that has 860 ansi lumens of output and runs on 4 AA's. It's called Nitecore EA4, and you can order one with a neutral white tint. Sadly, I can't get it cause the only store near my place that sells fine quality flashlights only sells Foursevens, LED lenser, Fenix, Olight, and Surefire's. I prefer in-store purchases (I'm old school) and don't plan to do online ones cause I'm afraid someone might hack my bank and steal everything!!

Thanks for the tip on the Nitecore light it truly is the modern Tekna 4. I may have to get it to compare. It seems to be around the same prices as the E50 as well but it doesnt have very much in the way of low modes so that wont appeal to many here I dont think.

Andy13186

Newly Enlightened
Edit * my questions were allready answered in the thread.

Last edited:

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
Would there be any reason why 2 16340 3.7v batteries couldnt be used with this light in its shortened form? The instructions say they are banned but will work with 2 18650 3.7v. Im curious why one would work and not the other?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would there be any reason why 2 16340 3.7v batteries couldnt be used with this light in its shortened form? The instructions say they are banned but will work with 2 18650 3.7v. Im curious why one would work and not the other?

Perhaps it draws too much current for those little 16340 batteries. They only have 500-550 mah capacity, even though they are normally advertised to have more.
Most protected li-ion cells only are rated to supply current up to 2c(twice their rated storage capacity) so, 1000-1100 milliamps is tops for them.

xlight

Banned
Besides the reason TWL mentioned, 4 16340 3.7V cells needed while running E50, the voltage would be too high for the light.