Fenix HL60R questions

Mark Wo

Newly Enlightened
Just arrived today in the mail. I had the old HL55 but lost the ability to switch a couple of modes so it was returned a little while ago. I saw Fenix came out with this light and it had all the old features I loved about the HL55 with a couple more that I really liked - red light, recharging, and no more 30 second max turbo mode.

When I ordered the light, I ordered the new Fenix 3500mAH battery as well. When I looked at the site I ordered it from, and in talking with the tech person, both said the HL60R will work with the new 3500mAH battery. Perfect.

Saw UPS delivered the headlamp and I rushed home. Reading the instructions (yeah I know, what guy actually does this) and it said to only use the battery that came with it, nothing else. No higher capacity battery and a few other restrictions.

Got me to thinking. Is the circuitry in the headlamp good enough to utilize the higher mAH battery. Will the charger still flash red when the higher battery is charging and then turn solid red when done. Will the battery level indicator work the same with the 3500 mAH battery?

Would appreciate any insight on this. Plan to call Fenix tomorrow but kind of anxious to charge the 3500mAH battery and get this headlamp going.

Mark

Last edited:

Mark Wo

Newly Enlightened
Called Fenix-Store and sent a note to Fenix. Both confirmed the higher mAH battery will work. I know, these are stupid questions but the manual and websites did not agree.

Mark

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading the instructions (yeah I know, what guy actually does this) and it said to only use the battery that came with it, nothing else. No higher capacity battery and a few other restrictions.

Hi Mark,

Although I do not own the Fenix HL60R, I downloaded the User Manual from the FenixLight web site. I cannot find the restrictions on battery type that you describe. Are you reading from something besides the User Manual?

Below is an excerpt from the User Manual. I highlighted in red where the manual states that "cautious" use of Li-ion 18650 is approved. I don't really like the language used here. It seems designed to scare owners away from anything except Fenix brand batteries. Nevertheless, it does allow the use of other batteries, such as the 3500mAh one you bought. At the end, it says, "Fenix ARB-L18 Series batteries are recommended." It does not say they are required.

If the language scares folks away from cheap xxxx-Fire batteries, then it will have done its job. I have no complaint about that.

Furthermore, in another part of the User Manual, under the ANSI FL 1 Specifications, you will see this: "Note: The runtime can be longer when uses 18650 batteries of larger capacity."

You should be good to go with 3500mAh battery you bought.

Fenix_HL60_R_Battery_Options.png

Dullard

Newly Enlightened
Mark,

I too think Fenix is deliberately using language to funnel people into using their own batteries. You are good to go with your 3500.

BTW, if I am not mistaken, your 3500mAh battery is an NCR18650GA, but don't hold me to that.

I have a question for you.

Given that you owned the Fenix HL55 and now have the HL60R, what do you make of the little piece that covers the USB port? Will that hold up over the years? Is there a more substantial cover, or is there just that little flap? Will it hold up to serious rain?

I want to buy the HL60R, but that issue is holding me back. I am wondering if I should just get the HL55 instead?

Your thoughts?

Thanks.