Fenix HP11 review?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really need 2.5 to 3hrs of use. Don't think I want the Wilma X. It is overkill, although it is kinda nice to fry the shrimp's eyes so they won't see the dip net coming:laughing:. The Fenix will still have it's use. It's beam it's plenty wide at 20ft away, great for dipping up blue crabs from a 15ft high bridge.

For a slightly different twist on what you need, have you considered the option of using the Fenix Headband (the one that's sold separately, not the HP11 or HP20)?

With the Fenix Headband, you can purchase the flashlight of choice and use either one or two flashlights to give you whatever beam pattern you'd like, and probably have more flexibility in choosing the light that might work best for you.

I recently purchased a Fenix Headband and use it in various configurations. What I like to do is use it with a flashlight that will accommodate AA rechargeable batteries so that if I run low on power all I have to do is insert new batteries, which are easy enough to carry along.

I even set up one of these for a friend to use for frog gigging -- and that concept is very similar to what you're doing.

With the cost of the Fenix Headband being only about $22 USD, I'd say that coupling it with the right flashlight (or two flashlights) is a workable option compared to a headlamp, especially given your specific needs. That is, in the hunt to find just the right headlamp, you might more easily find a better combination of Fenix Headband and a couple of flashlights (perhaps even two flashlights with different beam patterns to meet different needs you might have on the same evening).

And if you're considering moving up to a much more expensive headlamp option than the HP11, there's even more reason to consider the Fenix Headband plus appropriate flashlights.

OK...I just wanted to give you something else to think about... ;)

Below is the Fenix Headband with a Fenix L2D and a NiteCore D10 (a couple of my old but often used lights). As a "for instance" on the use of this, I can use the L2D for distance and ramp the NiteCore down to a minimal amount of light (and angle it downward) to see what's at my feet or in my hands. With this headband, you can tilt each light to whatever angle you want. There are lots of variations on the possibilities.

The drawback to the setup as shown is weight, but you could easily choose flashlights that use a single rechargeable AA or a single rechargeable RCR123A batteries to cut down on weight.

110808-002a.jpg

aquaholik

Newly Enlightened
For a slightly different twist on what you need, have you considered the option of using the Fenix Headband (the one that's sold separately, not the HP11 or HP20)?

With the Fenix Headband, you can purchase the flashlight of choice and use either one or two flashlights to give you whatever beam pattern you'd like, and probably have more flexibility in choosing the light that might work best for you.

I recently purchased a Fenix Headband and use it in various configurations. What I like to do is use it with a flashlight that will accommodate AA rechargeable batteries so that if I run low on power all I have to do is insert new batteries, which are easy enough to carry along.

I even set up one of these for a friend to use for frog gigging -- and that concept is very similar to what you're doing.

With the cost of the Fenix Headband being only about $22 USD, I'd say that coupling it with the right flashlight (or two flashlights) is a workable option compared to a headlamp, especially given your specific needs. That is, in the hunt to find just the right headlamp, you might more easily find a better combination of Fenix Headband and a couple of flashlights (perhaps even two flashlights with different beam patterns to meet different needs you might have on the same evening).

And if you're considering moving up to a much more expensive headlamp option than the HP11, there's even more reason to consider the Fenix Headband plus appropriate flashlights.

OK...I just wanted to give you something else to think about... ;)

Below is the Fenix Headband with a Fenix L2D and a NiteCore D10 (a couple of my old but often used lights). As a "for instance" on the use of this, I can use the L2D for distance and ramp the NiteCore down to a minimal amount of light (and angle it downward) to see what's at my feet or in my hands. With this headband, you can tilt each light to whatever angle you want. There are lots of variations on the possibilities.

The drawback to the setup as shown is weight, but you could easily choose flashlights that use a single rechargeable AA or a single rechargeable RCR123A batteries to cut down on weight.

110808-002a.jpg

I have played around with a couple of flashlight on headband. I tried the various 150-220 lumens AAA offering from Costco and Sam's Club but all of them has a bright center with very uneven spill. Once I strapped a 360 lumens Lifegear to a headband. I blinded a couple of flounder giggers 200 yds away and they were yelling at me to shut it off. It was so heavy I got a headache after 20-30 minutes.

I need to research and see the various beam pattern of various AA flashlight. Right now I just spent $12 on some no name 300 lumens adjustable beam headlamp that use 3AAA. Supposedly I can turn the focus ring and get a nice bright flood beam. I'll let you know how that works out but I don't have to much faith on it working out. I won't need a good headlight until next spring and if I can't find anything better, I am getting the Lupine Piko X.

I just might do a winter shrimping season this year and test out the Fenix HP11. The spill seems bright enough to light up a shrimp's eyes. The advantage to a bright flood beam is that you spend less time looking for shrimp. They just pop up in your field of vision and you decide by the distance between the two eyes which shrimps are the bigger one. With most LED light so far, I am constantly turning my head to look for them. With my halogen 20watts flood beam, I can cover the 180 degrees in front of me with a very slow head turn.

Shrimping after dark in the Tampa area is like Easter egg hunt. Walk the flats after dinner to burn up some calories and look for shrimp eyes that might or might not be hidden by seagrass's blade. The light needs to be on a headband and not on your hand or else you can't see their eyes.

I have been using home made 20 watts setup the last 4 years while waiting for LED lights to catch up and/or price to come down.

7ee8d7e0.jpg

We didn't do too bad on the blue crabs either:
IMGP5740.jpg

IMGP5764.jpg

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have played around with a couple of flashlight on headband. I tried the various 150-220 lumens AAA offering from Costco and Sam's Club but all of them has a bright center with very uneven spill.

Be cautious about perhaps judging all flashlights by what you see at Costco and the like. Quality of light varies greatly, especially when comparing really well made flashlights with those offered on a more general public level. I can tell you know what you need more than I do and you've been practicing with lots of configurations, so I'm sure you'll hit on the right combination soon.

I'll end with one more note on something I like about the Fenix Headband. I'm really pleased by the way it allows me to adjust the angle of each light by rotating the mount. All in all, I find it to be a very nice headband for adapting flashlights to headlamp use. Maybe I can post another pic or two to show the angling of the flashlights. I tend to wear mine over a hat so that the weight is more evenly distributed over my head.

Great pics of the crab and shrimp feasts, by the way... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my HP11 XP-G R5 today.
Many months ago, I was gonna get old HP10 XR-E Q5.
I'm glad I waited for the R5.
However, I still reckon I must wait till 2012 for a nice floody HP12 XM-L T6???

Anyway, I noticed some ppl on Amazon complained about both the old HP10 & new HP11 for having too short an upper head band.
When I received my HP11 at lunch time today, I initially got a heart attack - I thought the upper headband was too short - however, it was ridiculuously short - only say 7 cm long - I thought that it was impossible that Fenix could have stuffed up to this degree - I knew I had to play around with the upper head band - now the upper headband is huge! Long enough for any big head.

Wonderful beam, esp XP-G R5 for throw.
The HP11 R5 easily kills my Energizer Professional Hard Case headlamp for light.
However, what's really amazing is that this HP11 R5 kills my Jetbeam RRT-2 XP-G R5!
Boy technology has come a long way in only 9 months?
The HP11 is rated at only 277 lumens vs the RRT-2 R5's 300 lumens.
However, the HP11 R5 actually has a brighter hotspot than my RRT-2 R5!
The HP11's hotspot is also larger!
However, the centre of the HP11's hotspot is slightly hollow, while the centre of the RRT-2's hotspot is solid full of light.
The HP11's spill width size is significantly wider than the RRT-2!
Yet the HP11's spill is still brighter than the RRT-2 R5.
Technology advances so much in 9 months.
However then, some would say - that's 4xAA Eneloops @ 4x1.2V & 4x2000 mAH, versus 1x18650 @ 3V & 2200 mAH?
And also a SMO reflector vs an OP reflector.
However, despite the SMO reflector, the HP11 is very clean, and almost as clean as the RRT-2 R5 OP.
However, headlamps need to be floody, and the HP11 is dying for an XM-L for 2012 as a HP12.

The HP11 also needs an infinite angle head tilt adjustment, rather than the present discrete ratchet adjustment which is not as convenient.
The HP11 also needs the thicker headplate, thicker plastic, more robust build, more robust hinges, and more robust construction of the Energizer Professional Hard Case headlight.
Don't just discount the Energizer because it is an Energizer - the Energizer certainly lacks the LED power of the Fenix, but the Energizer is better styled and considerably more robustly built.
Both have their own different strengths & weaknesses, but for light, the Fenix wins hands down...

hp11-yw.jpg

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no 9 month advancement in technology to explain the difference between the Jetbeam and the Fenix. They both use the XP-G R5...that's the technology. Otherwise it just depends on how hard they are driven and what size/type of reflector they are using. If the Fenix isn't floody enough you don't need to wait for a XM-L. Just put a piece of Scotch Magic Tape over the lens or some other diffusion material and you will have a floody light with a nicer looking beam.

arizona1

Newly Enlightened
has anyone else noticed the hollowness in the hotspot... i want to get this light but that would really annoy me, like it does with the BD spot

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone else noticed the hollowness in the hotspot... i want to get this light but that would really annoy me, like it does with the BD spot

I hate to be a one trick pony here but have you tried putting a piece of translucent tape over the lens of the Spot? I know what you mean about the hollow spot. I used to have one and traded it in for the Storm. The Storm doesn't have that problem but the optics still aren't perfectly even so I used a piece of tape on that as well and it now has a nice beam and still has almost as much throw.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hotspot is larger, brighter, yet hollower than an RRT-2.
Actually, the hotspot is only slightly hollow.
The beam is generally superb!
It only trails the Energizer Hard Case Professional on construction.

In an ideal world, it would be good if they offered a choice of both the R5 for those who want throw, and the new XM-L for those who would like more flood.
One CPF member commented recently that he uses a headlamp for flood, then a hand held aspherical for throw.
I agree with other CPF members above, both the diffuser that comes with the HP11 and the nice built-in diffuser in the Energizer Hard Case Professional - are way way too floody.
We really don't want floodiness like a fluorescent lamp, what we actually want is a larger hotspot - say a hotspot that's twice the size...

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
One CPF member commented recently that he uses a headlamp for flood, then a hand held aspherical for throw.

I'm toying with an idea that combines both onto a Fenix Headband in this thread:

Fenix Headband + Throw Light + ZebraLight Flood

I almost posted that here instead, but thought it might make a better thread on it's own rather than couching it under the HP11 Review thread.

arizona1

Newly Enlightened
I hate to be a one trick pony here but have you tried putting a piece of translucent tape over the lens of the Spot? I know what you mean about the hollow spot. I used to have one and traded it in for the Storm. The Storm doesn't have that problem but the optics still aren't perfectly even so I used a piece of tape on that as well and it now has a nice beam and still has almost as much throw.
Yeah i have put tape over the BD spot and it made it better, but if im going to drop the money on the fenix, i would prefer it to be good out of the box and not need to use tape on it..... Has anyone else with the hp11 noticed the hollow hot spot?

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
Yeah i have put tape over the BD spot and it made it better, but if im going to drop the money on the fenix, i would prefer it to be good out of the box and not need to use tape on it..... Has anyone else with the hp11 noticed the hollow hot spot?

I don't see it and im pretty anal. what distance are we talking about here? this passes even the wall test, let alone how good it is outside

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HP11 R5 SMO's slightly hollow hotspot is barely noticeable - in fact it is NOT noticeable on it's own. The HP11 has a superb beam, that probably few can match!
The HP11's slightly hollow hotspot can only be noticed when compared with a Jetbeam RRT-2 R5 with a deep OP reflector - in which case the RRT-2's hotspot looks smaller and denser; the HP11's is larger with a dense ring but a less dense centre..

angkuh

Newly Enlightened
I'm not try it yet. But I will buy in January of next year. I will give you a review, and if you want, you can give your contact to me.

one_half_3544

Newly Enlightened
Got HP11 recently. To my surprise it refused to work with Ni-MH batteries - only regular alkaline worked. Further investigation showed that HP11 battery compartment has bulges, which prevent the + terminals of the batteries from contact>:-/

My Ni-MH batteries from both sets (La Crosse and Ansmann) have short plus pins (at least shorter than duracell alkaline) and don't work.

I thought that Fenix products do not require DIY modifications to work..

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
Got HP11 recently. To my surprise it refused to work with Ni-MH batteries - only regular alkaline worked. Further investigation showed that HP11 battery compartment has bulges, which prevent the + terminals of the batteries from contact>:-/

My Ni-MH batteries from both sets (La Crosse and Ansmann) have short plus pins (at least shorter than duracell alkaline) and don't work.

I thought that Fenix products do not require DIY modifications to work..

they don't i use eneloops in all fenix's with 0 problem